Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Is it wrong to watch football, because of the concussions/brain damage?

  1. #1

    Is it wrong to watch football, because of the concussions/brain damage?

    Interesting article! Is it wrong to watch football, because of the brain damage/concussions? http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/07...?from=magazine


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  2. #2
    Backup Notleadpoisoned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NotPittsburgh
    Posts
    425
    This might be a great topic for some unemployed Philosophy Majors to discuss with one another from the friendly confines of their parent's basement.

  3. #3
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,082
    I actually find ethics fun to debate. I would suggest that each of us enjoy the fruits of another person's risk to physical, and mental harm. Each profession has a unique set of risks all to provide a specific service. I take risks in my profession both mentally and physically. Each of us here take risks to drive to work in our vehicles of choice. We take on stress that causes both mental and physical harm. Most of us know these risks...accept them to make a living and to provide a service. I can not think of any jobs that have zero risk to mental and/or physical well being.

    So, the argument isn't about supporting professions with risk. That would be inconsistent. It must be an ethical argument based upon supporting a service that has higher risk than others.
    2015 NFL Draft
    1) Shane Ray-OLB
    2) Quintin Rollins-DB
    3) Tre McBride-WR
    4) Jeff Heuerman-TE
    5) Senquez Golson-DB
    6) Kyle Emmanuel-OLB
    6) Matt Jones-RB
    7) Gerod Holliman-S

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    So, the argument isn't about supporting professions with risk. That would be inconsistent. It must be an ethical argument based upon supporting a service that has higher risk than others.
    When I can't bend my knees or lift my arms above my shoulders by the time I'm 65 I'm blaming everyone who'd rather order something from amazon than get in the car and drive themselves to the store. And surprisingly the ups man makes much less money than a professional football player. Gets more chicks though.

    Either way, we all know the risks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    This might be a great topic for some unemployed Philosophy Majors to discuss with one another from the friendly confines of their parent's basement.
    Hmm, good point!

    OK, but now seriously ... how can you be completely *positive* that you aren't? (Referring to your board name).

    JK dude!


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  6. #6
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    When I can't bend my knees or lift my arms above my shoulders by the time I'm 65 I'm blaming everyone who'd rather order something from amazon than get in the car and drive themselves to the store. And surprisingly the ups man makes much less money than a professional football player. Gets more chicks though.

    Either way, we all know the risks.
    You work for amazon? Hey man where is my blow up doll?
    2015 NFL Draft
    1) Shane Ray-OLB
    2) Quintin Rollins-DB
    3) Tre McBride-WR
    4) Jeff Heuerman-TE
    5) Senquez Golson-DB
    6) Kyle Emmanuel-OLB
    6) Matt Jones-RB
    7) Gerod Holliman-S

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    When I can't bend my knees or lift my arms above my shoulders by the time I'm 65 I'm blaming everyone who'd rather order something from amazon than get in the car and drive themselves to the store. And surprisingly the ups man makes much less money than a professional football player. Gets more chicks though.

    Either way, we all know the risks.
    I hope the drone delivery doesn't cut down on some of the "perks" of the job, Jiga!


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You work for amazon? Hey man where is my blow up doll?
    I work for UPS, so yeah, I work for amazon.

    And when your spice of life boxes move through our hub I'll make sure no one steps on them.

  9. #9
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    23,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I work for UPS, so yeah, I work for amazon.

    And when your spice of life boxes move through our hub I'll make sure no one steps on them.
    He orders Extenze...if it works for Jimmy Johnson, it can work for Shawn too!


    Final Ruthless Mock:
    1.22 CB Marcus Peters, 6'0" 197 lbs., Washington
    2.56 FS Damarious Randall, 5'11" 196 lbs., Arizona State
    3.87 TE Clive Walford, 6'4" 251 lbs., Miami
    4.121 DE Henry Anderson, 6'6" 294 lbs., Stanford
    5.160 WR Titus Davis, 6'1" 196 lbs., Central Michigan
    6.199 OLB Kyle Emanuel, 6'3" 255 lbs., North Dakota State
    6.212c OLB Max Valles, 6'5" 251 lbs., Virginia
    7.239 RB John Crockett, 6'0" 217 lbs., North Dakota State

  10. #10
    Personally, I don't have any judgments about others, but I do not enjoy the games as much with the knowledge of concussions...I especially have a tough time at high school football games...I am torn between knowing how much those kids love to play and the worry of the cumulative effects of those hits as they grow older...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •