Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the worst MNF games in history....and....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One of the worst MNF games in history....and....

...one of those teams actually beat us (TN) and we barely beat the other one (Jets). That tells you where this Steeler team really is. Even with the "good" teams we thought were big wins for us are turning out that even those teams were way overrated and not very good at all (Ravens, Giants).

By the end of the season, it is fully determined with regards to what teams are what. It is becoming every increasingly evident that the Steelers are not a good team. They are average, at best. We are wasting our seasons with a franchise QB and the window is closing. They cannot afford another season like this. They had better fix whatever is broken and have all the bad attitude people gone, which I believe are at least Wallace and Mendenhall, and possibly Sanders. I remember Willie Parker, during the 2006 season (1 year after the Super Bowl win), when things were going so bad, said, "Last year we all had each other's backs. This year, it's not like that at all." What he was referring to was chemistry. Good teams have it. The Super Bowl winner has it. Bad teams don't. This team has a major chemistry problem, which happens when you start lacking leaders and, instead, have bad apples spreading crappy attitudes, causing division on the team (See Wallace, Mendenhall, Sanders).

The Jets are an even bigger mess than we are; I see them ditching the GM, Rex, Sanchez. At least we know who our cornerstones are: Ben, Pouncey, Brown, Miller, DeCastro, Harrison, Timmons, Ike, and a few others. But we desperately need to weed out the crap and add in quality. During this year's draft, they better ask, first and foremost, "Does this player have good character" before they draft them. We need a windfall of high character players to balance this out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    ...one of those teams actually beat us (TN) and we barely beat the other one (Jets). That tells you where this Steeler team really is. Even with the "good" teams we thought were big wins for us are turning out that even those teams were way overrated and not very good at all (Ravens, Giants).

By the end of the season, it is fully determined with regards to what teams are what. It is becoming every increasingly evident that the Steelers are not a good team. They are average, at best. We are wasting our seasons with a franchise QB and the window is closing. They cannot afford another season like this. They had better fix whatever is broken and have all the bad attitude people gone, which I believe are at least Wallace and Mendenhall, and possibly Sanders. I remember Willie Parker, during the 2006 season (1 year after the Super Bowl win), when things were going so bad, said, "Last year we all had each other's backs. This year, it's not like that at all." What he was referring to was chemistry. Good teams have it. The Super Bowl winner has it. Bad teams don't. This team has a major chemistry problem, which happens when you start lacking leaders and, instead, have bad apples spreading crappy attitudes, causing division on the team (See Wallace, Mendenhall, Sanders).

The Jets are an even bigger mess than we are; I see them ditching the GM, Rex, Sanchez. At least we know who our cornerstones are: Ben, Pouncey, Brown, Miller, DeCastro, Harrison, Timmons, Ike, and a few others. But we desperately need to weed out the crap and add in quality. During this year's draft, they better ask, first and foremost, "Does this player have good character" before they draft them. We need a windfall of high character players to balance this out.
    Wow, your actually making some sense today. Did you get your account back from your kid? I agree that chemistry has been a problem this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A divided team will always be less than the sum of its parts. Have you ever heard stories about the mid-90's teams? That team had so much leadership and good attitudes that if any younger player started to whine, players such as Greg Lloyd would tell them, "That s--t doesn't cut it here. We don't do that as Steelers." I am pretty sure if Lloyd told any player who was showing bad attitude to come correct, they would most certainly knock off the BS. Those teams never won a ring (but made it to one SB and didn't embarrass themselves, other than O'Donnell, who I am not sure wasn't paid off) but they never lacked effort either. You would never see those teams - with such awesome players and leaders as Rod Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, Kirkland, Greene, Dawson, etc. - lose to such bad teams as this current team has. It just wouldn't happen. Why is it now??

Backup

User Info Menu

"Barely" beat the Jets? They won by three scores.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    "Barely" beat the Jets? They won by three scores.
    Maybe, but if you watched that game you would know we were only up by 3 at half time and the game wasn't really decided until the 4th Q. Thankfully, their offense is even worse than ours. Jets were in that game for most of the contest. The point is, NY is a bad team and Pgh didn't dominate them, as Pgh isn't much better than they are, and we DID lose to TN, Oak., Cle., and SD. For a team with Super Bowl aspirations, Pgh is simply not any better than the bad teams out there. That's a fact.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark is THE leader on the defense. Otherwise I don't see squat anywhere else on the field except for Heath Miller and Shaun Suisham

Starter

User Info Menu

Jets got their best players injured half way thru the season and after we played them.. they weren't garbage then (when we played them).. our young defensive players were learning on the job and the "D" was learning how to play without Troy back there.. We finally got that bum MUNDY out of the Secondary which is when the defense started to turn it around..

I definately agree about the leadership... but the leaders that must step up are already on the team.. I also agree about Wallace/Mendy types..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One thing I can say about the Steelers this year: Outside of maybe the San Diego Game, they haven't been blown out or dominated by any means. Even with backup QBs playing.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

We're not as bad as you're trying to paint this team. We have the same strengths/weaknesses we've had for the last few years. It's still about a healthy Ben and a healthy Troy/Harrison. Harrison's getting there. If Ben and Troy do to in a few weeks, anything can happen.

Haley has Ben playing more efficient and taking less chances. BA pushed Ben off the cliff. Haley won't let him get within 100 feet. It's all about Ben finding that fine line and peaking. Haley may have over reeled him in. But I think he'll give him some line come the playoffs.

We've been in every game. And we've gotten some experience for some young guys. Gotta see this thing through and let it play out. This team might surprise you still.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We're not as bad as you're trying to paint this team. We have the same strengths/weaknesses we've had for the last few years. It's still about a healthy Ben and a healthy Troy/Harrison. Harrison's getting there. If Ben and Troy do to in a few weeks, anything can happen.

Haley has Ben playing more efficient and taking less chances. BA pushed Ben off the cliff. Haley won't let him get within 100 feet. It's all about Ben finding that fine line and peaking. Haley may have over reeled him in. But I think he'll give him some line come the playoffs.

We've been in every game. And we've gotten some experience for some young guys. Gotta see this thing through and let it play out. This team might surprise you still.
    Hmmm, we are 1-4 in the last 5 games. You really don't think that is the sign of a bad team? Really? Now, granted, we have had mad injuries, but, 1-4 in the last 5 games is not the sign of a decent team, at all. We are starting our 4th and 5th string CBs. Troy is still not himself. Our only offense, even with a brand new OC and system, still really relies on when Ben buys times and goes all "back yard football" in order to make things happen (how is that any different than when BA was here?)

It _appears_ that Cinci is the better team heading into this match, and if they win, we are toast. But, that's why they play the game. Some how Pgh is a 4-point favorite heading into this game. If they do win this one, I do like their chances of beating CLE the last week. On the bright side, Ben should be a level better, Troy and Harrison starting to round into shape. Will Lewis be back? Allen? We got to get some DBs back to have a prayer.