Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This could be what the Jerome Bettis trade was for the Steelers...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This could be what the Jerome Bettis trade was for the Steelers...

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8779054/beanie-wells-arizona-cardinals-expects-play-elsewhere-2013[/URL]

A young talented power back out of favor with the team who drafted him in the first round? Sound familiar? A back who has a lot to prove. A back who could be had with maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I think it wouldn't hurt to take a hard look at this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8779054/beanie-wells-arizona-cardinals-expects-play-elsewhere-2013[/URL]

A young talented power back out of favor with the team who drafted him in the first round? Sound familiar? A back who has a lot to prove. A back who could be had with maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I think it wouldn't hurt to take a hard look at this.
    I don't know Dee; Wells has never shown anything in this league. When they drafted him (I think they still had Warner) I thought, "Wow, combine this monster back with their passing attack and he is going to be unstoppable, since Ds have to worry so much about their pass" kind of like adding Chuck Muncie to the Dan Fouts' Chargers. It never came close to turning out that way. Bettis, on the other hand, splashed across the screen immediately, entering this league (against us, if I recall correctly, running over the Steelers in LA as a Ram, week one his rookie year.) Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I would be against adding him if we can get him cheap - we got to try SOMETHING to upgrade our rushing attack, without any doubt. I am just saying I don't see any where near the dream match up as was Bus to Pgh. Wells.....there is just something not there, like possibly, he college success was more due to PEDs or something. There is some reason he just can't stay in one piece, even at OSU, and often when guys have all these injuries, it can be related to juice or HGH use. Or, maybe the just genitally tend to get hurt. Whatever the reason, I don't see him ever staying healthy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's certainly worth considering, but to me, Beanie Wells is just a slightly lesser version of Jonathan Dwyer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    It's certainly worth considering, but to me, Beanie Wells is just a slightly lesser version of Jonathan Dwyer.
    Yea, a "lesser" version, and we all know Dwyer's weaknesses. I don't think Wells has the ability to make something out of nothing the way JD _can_. And he gets hurt all the time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Pierre Thomas.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Beanie Wells had injury problems in college and he's had them in the NFL. No Thanks!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Pierre Thomas.
    That interests me more than Wells. Here are the names that I would consider taking a look at.

Jackie Battle - Big, bruiser. Seems like he makes things happen if he gets some touches, but never seems like any team will settle to make him their prime back. But, the guy produces. Could be a decent addition.

Ronnie Brown - Has always shown flashes of being a big time back, but never quite makes it all the way there. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a part time solution.

Peyton Hillis - Had one nice season as a Brown, but not sure how many carries he can handle or how much he is already used up. Typically, big, bruising backs get used up quick, and that could be the case with him. The few exceptions are our own Bettis and John Alstott. Is Hillis either one of those guys? I don't know. Odds are against it. But if he still has it in him, I wouldn't mind seeing Hillis in the black and gold. I have no idea what he has left.

LeGarrette Blount - I wanted them to draft him with a late pick, and then when TN cut him I wanted them to pick him up as a FA. He has been hot and cold in Tampa, but he is a big back who runs hard. Maybe some character issues, but I wouldn't mind seeing them take a shot on him.

Those I am not hot on.

Reggie Bush - Yea, very talented, has had a few good games, but generally overrated his entire career, never lived up to his draft hype. He was deserving of about a 3rd-round pick, not a top 2 over all pick. He is almost a bust. No fit in Pgh.

Cedric Benson - Had one decent year and that's about it. Not really a hard worker. No thanks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers probably would look at the draft for a RB, but if they would consider an established vet, I don't see them looking at wells as the above posters mentioned. Do the Steelers want immediate help at RB? If so who is available in the draft that could make an impact day one?
    If they would be looking at established backs what about Maurice Jones-Drew? I know he's been playing for 7 yrs, but he's only 27 and could possibly help us. JB played for 13 seasons so is it possible Maurice has say 4 more good years left?
    The guy was a three time Pro- Bowler and tough to tackle, similar to Ray Rice.
    In this senario Drew's age is probably against him but for a decent price I would consider him, otherwise just draft a good back or reconsider Rashard. I wouldn't give up on Mendy, I don't care what he says in the papers just play and produce on the field. Injuries held him back and the Steelers trying the three back system which I don't care for.
    A back needs 20 or more carries a game to get going something they went away from this year, Mendy can still do it but probably with another team unfortunately.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, a "lesser" version, and we all know Dwyer's weaknesses. I don't think Wells has the ability to make something out of nothing the way JD _can_. And he gets hurt all the time.
    Dwyer isnt that special... he had a few nice runs but when we really needed him he came up shorr. Not a fan of Wells but I woul give any RB a shot after watching our committee stink it up. I like Blount because he is young... not sure if he has the mental make up for our coaching staff.

Ronnie Brown may have a little left and he runs hard... Reggie Bush still has that next gear but we stink at getting smaller backs in open space so it wouldnt work.

Honestly, i just want a guy who can tote the rock without needing constant attention on the sidelines

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He's always battling some sort of injury and I fully believe the Steelers will be resigning Mendenhall. Wells hasn't shown much of anything since being drafted besides that he's fragile.

EDIT: I also don't believe Reggie Bush is overrated. Where does he rate anyway? I don't know that anyone even has him in their top 20. If anything he has the tools to be better than he is but he needs to land with the right team. I personally would love to see him in the black and gold but we already have a player cut from a similar but less electric cloth and that's Rainey. (I like Rainey but he's not as good as Bush)