Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wally is our new BA

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Based on this year only....his entire body of work puts him much higher on the chart....

The sad part is that we don't have another receiver better than him this year....
    If you start going beyond this year though then you have to throw the last 2 or three years from other WR's up and add players like Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Hakeem Nixon, Jordy Nelson, and others into the discussion...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If you start going beyond this year though then you have to throw the last 2 or three years from other WR's up and add players like Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Hakeem Nixon, Jordy Nelson, and others into the discussion...
    Hakeem Nicks is not a crook.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

My problem with Wallace is that I look around the league and I see A LOT of receivers that I could get for the $$ amount he wants or less. And a lot of those receivers are better in my eyes. They pass the eye test. Now, a lot of people will bring up stats to prove that Wallace is superior. Also, people have a tendency to forget the fact that some WRs, although very talented, have crappy QBs. It's not just about stats. You need to look at all aspects of a players situation and his overall ability.

With Wallace, I see elite speed and not much of anything else above average.

Here's a question... where would Wallace be on the GB Packers depth chart?

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb. Would Wallace even dress on Sundays?

Is Wallace the better deep threat than all of these players? Quite possibly.

A more interesting question... Is Wallace a better overall WR than ANY of these players? Maybe not.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/09/three-years-of-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/[/url]

Yards per route run is interesting. Wallace isn't in the top 15.

Backup

User Info Menu

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/09/three-years-of-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/[/URL]

So what are you saying? Do you want him gone next season? Is there a $ amount you would be willing to sign him for?

Would you pay him the $48 Million we are paying AB?

Where does AB rank on your list above?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    So what are you saying? Do you want him gone next season? Is there a $ amount you would be willing to sign him for?
    Ca
    Would you pay him the $48 Million we are paying AB?

Where does AB rank on your list above?
    Here's the thing...with Wallace I see a lot of Willie Parker. Guy can flat out burn, and he does get behind defenses. He seems to have big holes in his game. A lot of the time instead of catching the ball with his hands he catches it with his body. The top WR in the league are a bit more physical then Wallace. My biggest thing is like Parker, he is mostly a one trick Pony. That one trick is really great but I fear he will end up getting a leg injury like Parker, and once he loses that speed he would be a subpar WR. I think if he slowed down where he couldn't burn the opposition he would be right below A Nate Washington when he was here.

I guess I would like a little more of a taller physical WR that can go up against DB's and actually use their hands and out physical the DB's and come down with the ball.

I think Brown has a lot of really good tools but needs to mature and improve. I could see him being close to what a Holmes was when he was here.

If you are running a quick passing game a big bodied great handed WR can be more valuable to move the chains then a speedy small guy that isn't physical.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/09/three-years-of-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/[/URL]

Here is another: [URL]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/28/2011-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/[/URL]

# Name Team Rec. Yards Snaps in Route YPRR
    1 Victor Cruz NYG 1536 499 3.08
    2 Jordy Nelson GB 1263 423 2.99
    3 Antonio Brown PIT 1108 427 2.59
    4 Wes Welker NE 1569 607 2.58
    5 Malcom Floyd SD 856 337 2.54
    6 Percy Harvin MIN 975 390 2.50
    7 Calvin Johnson DET 1685 692 2.43
    8 Marques Colston NO 1143 473 2.42
    9 Brandon Marshall MIA 1214 513 2.37
    10 Steve L. Smith CAR 1394 590 2.36
    11 Dwayne Bowe KC 1159 504 2.30
    12 Johnny Knox CHI 729 321 2.27
    13 Darrius Heyward-Bey OAK 975 431 2.26
    14 Doug Baldwin SEA 792 354 2.24
    15 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 1411 632 2.23
    16 Mike Wallace PIT 1193 554 2.15
    16 Laurent Robinson DAL 858 399 2.15
    18 Roddy White ATL 1296 613 2.11
    18 A.J. Green CIN 1057 500 2.11
    20 Julio Jones ATL 959 456 2.10
    20 Demaryius Thomas DEN 551 263 2.10

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Here is another: [URL]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/28/2011-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/[/URL]

# Name Team Rec. Yards Snaps in Route YPRR
    1 Victor Cruz NYG 1536 499 3.08
    2 Jordy Nelson GB 1263 423 2.99
    3 Antonio Brown PIT 1108 427 2.59
    4 Wes Welker NE 1569 607 2.58
    5 Malcom Floyd SD 856 337 2.54
    6 Percy Harvin MIN 975 390 2.50
    7 Calvin Johnson DET 1685 692 2.43
    8 Marques Colston NO 1143 473 2.42
    9 Brandon Marshall MIA 1214 513 2.37
    10 Steve L. Smith CAR 1394 590 2.36
    11 Dwayne Bowe KC 1159 504 2.30
    12 Johnny Knox CHI 729 321 2.27
    13 Darrius Heyward-Bey OAK 975 431 2.26
    14 Doug Baldwin SEA 792 354 2.24
    15 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 1411 632 2.23
    16 Mike Wallace PIT 1193 554 2.15
    16 Laurent Robinson DAL 858 399 2.15
    18 Roddy White ATL 1296 613 2.11
    18 A.J. Green CIN 1057 500 2.11
    20 Julio Jones ATL 959 456 2.10
    20 Demaryius Thomas DEN 551 263 2.10
    Interesting - 2 Steelers in that list. That was BA's offense. They took big chances and worked with what they have. Now Haley is probably killing the WR stats with his offense. We're now focused on getting balance. The problem is we dont yet have the personnel to be balanced. And we might have to revert back to taking some chances if we want to do anything this year.

Give Ben the rope Haley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    My problem with Wallace is that I look around the league and I see A LOT of receivers that I could get for the $$ amount he wants or less. And a lot of those receivers are better in my eyes. They pass the eye test. Now, a lot of people will bring up stats to prove that Wallace is superior. Also, people have a tendency to forget the fact that some WRs, although very talented, have crappy QBs. It's not just about stats. You need to look at all aspects of a players situation and his overall ability.

With Wallace, I see elite speed and not much of anything else above average.

Here's a question... where would Wallace be on the GB Packers depth chart?

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb. Would Wallace even dress on Sundays?

Is Wallace the better deep threat than all of these players? Quite possibly.

A more interesting question... Is Wallace a better overall WR than ANY of these players? Maybe not.
    Wallace would be a starter for the Packers and most teams around the league. Most teams don't have a WR that has the football speed that Wallace possesses. Whether fans want to admit it or not, Wallace is a difference maker with or without the football. He is a big play threat. Wallace isn't irreplaceable but the Steeler's offense will miss Wallace's big play ability if they can't resign him. The question is how will they replace Wallace's play ability and production?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace would be a starter for the Packers and most teams around the league. Most teams don't have a WR that has the football speed that Wallace possesses. Whether fans want to admit it or not, Wallace is a difference maker with or without the football. He is a big play threat. Wallace isn't irreplaceable but the Steeler's offense will miss Wallace's big play ability if they can't resign him. The question is how will they replace Wallace's play ability and production?
    Same way they did when Plax left, Washington, left, Holmes left.....