Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Maybe Miller wouldn't have to stay in and block all the time if this team hadnt ignored the deterioration of its offensive line throughout the Arians era.
    They used 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks on the OL. Hard to say it was ignored.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the term small ball and yes, it is too much small ball. Having said that, this small ball has allowed Ben to be sacked less this season as far as I can tell except for yesterdays game. The o-line and their troubles kept our offense with the small ball attack. Ben had some nice passes down field and especially tol Wallace. Wallace also the guy that caught a ball two yards prior to stepping out of bounds without getting his feet down or gaining ball control.

Without getting off topic too much, there is a time and a place for criticism and it isn't to the media. Ben by now has enough credits to approach Tomlin and Haley on his likes and dislikes, he needs to do all this in private and not the media. Ben, wise the heck up.

Starter

User Info Menu

It seems like in each and every post it is assumed Ben questioned the play calling. The fact is the writers and many posters [me to] are ----not Ben.

Ben was asked why they didn't do more no huddle stuff in the 2nd half. Was this made up by the reporter or was it a fact. If it was a fact HowTF by simply answering it was Ben questioning Haley? The fans are. Not Ben. The reporter is. Not Ben. Ben simply honestly answered if that is the case then maybe we should have done it more. He inferred that it may have helped win the game and if so he was disappointed.

Same thing about not throwing to Heath Miller in the 2nd half. I bet a big majority of fans did not even notice this. I did not. How does answering that question in any way be taken as Ben criticizing or questioning the OC. He simply answered a question which I guess was factual.

Kovacevic clearly himself does not like Haley or his system or his play calling and possibly Haley himself. That is his business. In his article he flips out about the play calling on the Steelers 1st possession in the second half. So did I? How many others did? He did not ask Ben about that.

The only thing in both of those articles that really is honest and makes sense is:

For the Steelers, there’s a lot to be disappointed about after today’s loss. The good news is that they can still salvage their season and make the playoffs if they win their last two games. The bad news is a feud between Roethlisberger and Haley isn’t the best way to begin a crucial week of work before the Week 16 meeting with the Bengals.

The week before the San Diego game the big story was about Wallace losing focus because of limited use. This was proven to be not true. I agreed with a post that thought that was very untimely and divisive and could prove costly. It did.

I'm only butting in here because even though I might agree with all of the posters I also am aware that the season is now just starting. It is supposed to be a fact if TS win out they are in.

I posted the following a couple of hours ago:

The season starts Sunday. Screw everything else. Unless you are willing to let all this whining and innuendo convince you to scrap the season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    They used 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks on the OL. Hard to say it was ignored.
    I'm talking about generally the 2006-2011 timeframe. Until Pouncey in 2010, the line was allowed to atrophy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Maybe Miller wouldn't have to stay in and block all the time if this team hadnt ignored the deterioration of its offensive line throughout the Arians era.
    That was the only weakness on the team when Tomlin inherited the team. Still is. Need to get rid of the oft injured slobs and get some farm boys in there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You guy's are reading way too much into what Ben said. He really wan't being critical of Haley.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Saying the right plays was not called is questioning Haley , point blank. ...
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I agree, there is no other way to take that other than it being negative of Haley. Say something to that affect about your wife/girlfriend and it is hell to be paid.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, maybe all the Haley bashers will have their way in 2013. The local media were talking coaching positions this morning and 2 interesting points were brought up.

1. Haley may get an interview in Arizona for the HC job and could be the odds on favorite for the position. If so, this could mean Kirby Wilson gets the promotion to OC.

2. Tunch Ilkin's name is being thrown around town as a possible OL coach replacing Kugler. He refused in the past, but his wife just passed away and his children are now grown.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Who calls the plays when they go no huddle?

Ben blamed himself for this loss,When he was asked why they didn't use Miller more, he said..., "I don't think we called the right plays to get him the ball."

Ben said WE. He didn't say the coaches. He didn't say the offensive coordinator. He said WE.
    Last edited by JAR; 12-17-2012 at 03:04 PM.