Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

Legend

User Info Menu

If its player execution it's still falls on Haley. Obviously he isn't put the best players in the best position to execute...

I'm not watching these plays and being wowed by their design even though they aren't being executed. I haven't seen one running play that made me go "damn, Haley dialed up a winner"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Put me down as being in favor of Haley's offense. I think before Ben got hurt this offense was just starting to gel. We were controlling the ball for large blocks of time, the running game was revving up, and we were starting to score touchdowns instead of FGs. The play action passes were starting to work and I thought we could start to hit some of the deep routes off of it.

Then Ben got hurt and things went to crap. The defenses were stacked against the run game and our backup QBs were either rusty or hurt or both. We also lose a couple of linemen in that span. Then Ben comes back and he is rusty. He starts missing key short passes that had been converting 3rd downs for us but now we punt.

I think a few things need to happen on the offensive side:

1) Ben needs to regain his sharpness
    2) Our skill players need to hold on to the frickin ball ... whether its via the run, pass or return.
    3) Tomlin needs to smarten these guys up and get this team disciplined. I can't believe the mistakes this team is making.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Ben sounds unhappy with Haley's calls

December, 17, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

After throwing the game-changing interception in the 27-24 overtime loss in Dallas, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger accepted responsibility for the team's fourth loss in five games. "Absolutely, 100 percent, this is on me," he said.

Well, if you listen to Roethlisberger's comments that followed, he doesn't think he's totally at fault. He hinted that some of the blame should fall on offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Roethlisberger was asked why tight end Heath Miller didn't have one pass thrown his way in the second half after catching six passes for 85 yards and one touchdown in the first half. “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball," Roethlisberger said.

He then received a question about the lack of the no-huddle. After pausing for a few seconds, Roethlisberger said, "That‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it and that‘s disappointing.”

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Dejan Kovacevic called this "a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy."

I wouldn't go that far. I wouldn't call this a controversy or a feud yet. These comments are candid but not overly critical. He questions the play calling but doesn't really call out Haley. Roethlisberger clearly sounds unhappy, and it's true he never made the same type of remarks about his friend Bruce Arians. (Side note: Arians has the Colts sitting two games ahead of Pittsburgh and the Indianapolis offense ranked in the top 10.) But Roethlisberger should be unhappy. The Steelers are 7-7 and out of the playoffs if the regular season ended today.

Now, you might be wondering why Roethlisberger is questioning the play calling after he threw for 339 yards and two touchdowns. That's because Roethlisberger looked like the old Roethlisberger in Dallas. He was escaping pressure and spinning away from rushers before chucking the ball deep downfield. That's what happened when he hit Miller for a 30-yard touchdown at the end of the first half.

What Roethlisberger and the Steelers really need to ask themselves is whether they can get back on track. Despite all of the struggles lately, Pittsburgh can still make the playoffs by winning its final two games -- home games against the Bengals and Browns. This won't happen if the disconnect between Roethlisberger and Haley becomes a bigger issue.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61483/big-ben-sounds-unhappy-with-haleys-calls[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    With Todd Haley as O.C. we only scored above 30 points 1 time, and that was against the hapless Raiders. Clearly this offense underacheived, however the drops and turnovers killed us this season.

I'm not blaming Haley for the issues we have on offense, just pointing out he has the responsibility to make adjustments when our offense is underachieving. The drops, turnovers, execution, and lack of a run game hurt us as some pointed out here. IMHO, I feel we have the talent especially at the receiver positions and tight ends. Ben is a top tier QB and if you noticed even the FB is making plays for us.
    It's difficult to get any continuity when your shuffling the OL, and our backs with injuries that hampered the run game, but we can't use that as an excuse for sub par play.
    Personally, I would rather have one feature back and keep him in more instead of changing up with the three back system. If we are to use that system why is Rainey not utilized in the screen plays where he could do some damage to defenses with his speed? Why don't we try running outside for a change especially with Mendy who had great runs in the past running outside?
    Obviously there is a combination of factors why we are playing sub par in the offense department, but IMO there is no reason why we shoudn't be scoring 24 to 27 points every game with the talent we have.
    Our Steelers have a shot to correct these issues on offense this weekend, they will have the fans behind them, but we are tired of the lab talk, the lab is closed, time to execute like we are capable of.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Obviously there is a combination of factors why we are playing sub par in the offense department, but IMO there is no reason why we shoudn't be scoring 24 to 27 points every game with the talent we have.
    Except the propensity to turn the ball over to the opponent. I'm fairly sure that isn't in the game plan...

Legend

User Info Menu

Haley should call out Ben's QBing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who cares who calls out who they make crazy money compared to most people...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger was asked why tight end Heath Miller didn't have one pass thrown his way in the second half after catching six passes for 85 yards and one touchdown in the first half. “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball," Roethlisberger said.

According to Ed Buchette, they had 9 calls in the 2nd half alone for Heath as the primary receiver. He just wasn't open. Ben states- 'right plays' not 'no plays'. Obviously, Dallas made some adjustments defensively to take Miller out of the game.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

According to Ed Buchette, they had 9 calls in the 2nd half alone for Heath as the primary receiver. He just wasn't open. Ben states- 'right plays' not 'no plays'. Obviously, Dallas made some adjustments defensively to take Miller out of the game.
    Heath being covered hasn't stopped Ben from throwing to him in the past.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

Which meant the WRs had to be relied upon more, and apparently they weren't up to the task. Expect the Bengals to try to neutralize Miller as well, which means the WRs better be ready to play their best game of the season.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.