Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

HE took the blame for the loss but question Haley for not getting Heath the ball more.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

I just pray we are not going to "unleash hell" these last two games.
    "....great films, with plots! Where you cared about whose ass it was, and why it was farting!"

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/235511.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Link link link link link?
    Link link link link link link please?
    (Sorry -lazy now).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Link link link link link?
    Link link link link link link please?
    (Sorry -lazy now).
    Depot. The best source around
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sure, Not View Post
    I just pray we are not going to "unleash hell" these last two games.
    We have unleashed hell only to bedevil ourselves.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

By Dejan Kovacevic
    Published: Sunday, December 16, 2012

Steelers tight end Heath Miller rambles for a second-quarter touchdown against the Cowboys on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012, at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

ARLINGTON, Texas — Antonio Brown‘s eyes were beet red, bloodshot almost beyond recognition. One could easily hazard a guess why, after his litany of late mistakes loomed so large in the Steelers‘ knife-twisting 27-24 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday.

“It‘s my fault,” Brown fairly whispered.

No, actually, it wasn‘t.

Not entirely, anyway.

Ben Roethlisberger stood equally tall in manning up for his overtime interception, one that not only sealed defeat but also — maybe most crushingly — conjured up nightmares of Neil O‘Donnell and Larry Brown.

“This is on me, 100 percent,” Roethlisberger said. “I let my team down, the fans, everybody.”

Nope. Sorry again, but that‘s just not the whole truth.

Not after this maddeningly inconsistent team has stumbled all season to find an identity even when one is thrust in its collective face.

Not after simple results show again and again how it operates best and, yet, the team still sticks by what it wishes it could do.

Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.

That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.

So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.

“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”

Whoa, right?

You know, there have been occasions going back to Bruce Arians‘ retirement/firing and Haley‘s hiring where Roethlisberger has made veiled — even thinly veiled — criticisms of his newly imposed coordinator. But none came close to this.

And he wasn‘t done.

Roethlisberger was asked about the no-huddle, which the Steelers used Sunday when they looked most fluid — kind of like always — and he said, after a lengthy hesitation: “I don‘t … that‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it. And, um, that‘s disappointing.”

Double-whoa, right?

But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”

Hat trick of whoas!

Make no mistake: What the Steelers have right here is a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy.

And I‘ll say it again: Good.

Maybe that‘s what this team needs to regain its identity: Take it by force.

This game wasn‘t lost in overtime. I don‘t even think it was lost with Brown repeatedly losing his mind.

Ask me, and it began to get lost on the Steelers‘ opening drive of the second half, after Brown returned a punt to the 50 and continued all the momentum Miller had generated almost singlehandedly to that point.

Here was your go-for-the-jugular play-calling from Haley:

• Jonathan Dwyer over right guard, 4 yards.

• Dwyer up the middle, 1 yard.

• Roethlisberger incomplete short pass to Dwyer in right flat.

Yeah. Way to step on that Texas rattlesnake, gentlemen.

If it ended there, OK, no big deal. But when play after play kept getting called without No. 83 involved, it became clear that Haley was doing exactly what the Cowboys couldn‘t: He was shutting down Miller.

Miller didn‘t see another ball until the first play of overtime, which, naturally, he caught.

I asked Miller if he was disappointed, and he kept to his low-key profile: “That‘s just the way the game goes. I understand it.”

I‘m not sure why anyone would.

Tomlin‘s got his work cut out for him. His team is spiraling downward at 7-7, he‘s got to get them to show up for a critical showdown with the Bengals next Sunday — hardly a given — and, on top of that, be sure that he‘ll have to deal with the Roethlisberger-Haley situation.

No team can function without its quarterback and offensive coordinator on the same page, and these guys aren‘t in the same library right now.

I don‘t know about you, but I‘m with the quarterback on this. I really don‘t care how smart Haley is, really don‘t care if the Steelers ever find a way to run between the tackles (they‘ve had one outside run the past two games), really don‘t even care if Haley‘s with the team beyond this season or not.

The franchise player, that‘s different.

It‘s well past time the Steelers start hearing what he has to say before he starts calling far more serious audibles.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#ixzz2FHfN9Cet[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

What Kovacevic is really saying is the he [Kovacevic] could call a better game than what he has been seeing the past few games or more. Many fans will probably agree with him.

Starter

User Info Menu

Here are how some of the teams that have whipped TS in the past several weeks are doing now.

Wk 12 Cleveland 20 Pit 14 Wk 15 Washington 38 Cleveland 21[at Cle too] A rookie QB puts up 38 on the devastating CLE D. He must be really something special. RGIV? Who is this Kirk Cousins anyway. He really did the job.

Wk 14 San Diego 34 Pit 24 Wk 15 Carolina 31 San Diego 7 [at SD too] Their glory and euphoria at crushing TS was short lived.

Toss in both Bal games in recent weeks and TS did not get much O going. But there were a lot of injuries and changes. But nonetheless look how easy Denver handled them.

The common theme here is those teams apparently were not playing anybody. [TS?] Is it possible TS are highly overrated? Believe it or not I do not think so. TS record wise in weeks 12 thru 15 was 1 and 3 and that was exactly what was necessary. It was only imperative to win 1 of those games. The rest were meaningless except for the damage to many fans egos. Now the season starts. It is that simple.

Those losses to Cle SD and Dal were truly a gesture of extreme benevolence on the part of TS.
    Sort of like buying a pair of shoes for a homeless person. Really, sometimes these acts of generosity are rewarded with good things showering on the good samaritan. I am curious to see how this works out.

btw: Both Cle and SD chances to win the world championship ended today. The best they can do now is 7 wins and that cannot get them in the PO's. But at least thanks to TS they did have one more week of joy.

You may be wondering how this is related to this thread. Well, I figure maybe the poor play calling contributed to those losses and should share in some of the glory.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Did Haley call that last play, Ben? You know...the one where it was picked and returned to the Steelers' 1 yard line? No?

This kind of complaint would mean a lot more to me if that were the case...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of taking on your coordinator in the media. I'd rather that was done behind closed doors. Ben has a history here too. It seemed that he'd matured a bit, but I'm not so sure. Many will say this is the right thing to do. But, for me it is a muddled move. He takes the blame, and then spreads it all over the play-calling. To me, that is weak, and inconsistent.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.