Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

Legend

User Info Menu

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Dejan Kovacevic called this "a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy."
    Heath was LESS involved in the game under BA than under Haley. No-huddle? I don't see Haley using it any less than BA. How many times did we hear Ben and others wishing they used more no-huddle under BA?

Any tension between Ben and the coaches is more due to their win/loss record than any actual controversy.

I don't care who called what play in Dallas, that last pick that Ben threw was on him alone. Horrible decision. It happens. But the problem with this year's Steelers is that everyone is taking turns making some horrible decision or some horrible mistake at the exact wrong time, leading to 7 losses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger apologized to Steelers for his remarks

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
    December 19, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Don't expect fireworks between Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley for postgame remarks Roethlisberger made following last Sunday's 27-24 overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Roethlisberger was critical of the offensive play-calling and deployment but said he made a point of apologizing to Haley on Monday morning after also telling coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers President Art Rooney II that he was sorry.

It was the second time this season Roethlisberger's remarks were interpreted as criticisms of Haley's play-calling.

"There won't be any rift,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports before practice Wednesday. "Everything is fine. I don't even think Todd was upset with it. He said, 'I appreciate you coming. But I don't think you needed to.' We're good to go.

"That was just frustration, which normally doesn't get to me when speaking publicly. It was more frustration with myself than anything. We spoke on Monday. I wanted to make sure I was going to come in and apologize for causing an issue to Mike Tomlin, to Todd and Mr. (Art) Rooney."

Roethlisberger blamed it on his game-costing interception.

"One play," he said, "can ruin your day.''

Roethlisberger threw a sideline pass to receiver Mike Wallace, but cornerback Brandon Carr intercepted the pass and returned it 36 yards to the Pittsburgh 1-yard line to set up Dan Bailey's winning field goal.

When asked about Roethlisberger's comments, Tomlin called it "frustration'' during his Tuesday news conference. Roethlisberger had questioned whether enough plays were called for tight end Heath Miller and whether the Steelers should have run more no-huddle based on their early success with it.

"I let my frustrations jump out after the game and I don't usually do that,'' Roethlisberger told news reporters earlier. "Usually, I keep it under control. It's just frustration with myself. I'll be better at that. It comes from wanting to do anything to win a football game. I shouldn't have come out. It was my fault.''

Roethlisberger is 0-2 since returning from a sprained throwing shoulder and dislocated rib, injuries that kept him out for three games. The Steelers (7-7) host the Cincinnati Bengals (8-6) on Sunday at Heinz Field in a game critical to both teams' playoff hopes.

[URL]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/19/steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-apologized-to-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley/1780033/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

I have liked what i have seen from Haleys O, he at least keeps me guessing. Arians never had that affect. Haley I think through the early part of season was trying to see where everyone fit into the scheme of the O. But with the constant change of personnel its nearly impossible to establish what you want from who you want. I have thought that Rainey needs to be in there as a threat out of the back field. I will tell you the one play I liked the most this year that just really stands out, mainly because it was against the Ravens, is the one where Rainey came in (I think it was his only O play all game) he lined up on the right side of Batch then went to the flat like a swing pass, but blockers pulled out for a screen like play. But they were just a diversion, Heath was waiting for all to go outside then released up field for a quick pass then ran for about 19 or so yards on a 3rd and long. This type of play calling would never been here the last 5 years, it would of been send all the receivers 10 to 15 + yards downfield and hopefully get the pass off before Ben gets crushed. I think Haley is trying to find the right combo to get it done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger's criticism doesn't faze Haley

December 21, 2012
    By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, throwing passes at practice Wednesday, was not upset with Ben Roethlisberger's criticism after the loss Sunday at Dallas.

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he and Ben Roethlisberger are on the same page "as much as a quarterback and coordinator can be." Haley brushed aside the critical remarks Roethlisberger made after a loss Sunday against Dallas at Cowboys Stadium, and, later in the same 10-minute interview sessions with reporters Thursday afternoon, complemented his quarterback by referring to him as "elite."

There is no controversy from Haley's perspective after Roethlisberger questioned his play-calling and use of tight end Heath Miller in the second half of a Steelers 27-24 overtime loss.

"That was an emotional game," Haley said. "Whatever was said can't be taken too much to the heart because that's the way this game is. Guys will get into it in locker rooms, in the building, on the practice field. It's the mindset you get into when you're getting ready to compete and coach a big game. There's emotion involved. I wouldn't really pay much attention to anything that's said in an emotional state of mind."

Haley is no stranger to conflict. When he was the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals he got into a heated sideline argument with Anquan Boldin in the 2009 NFC championship. If not for a last-minute drive engineered by Roethlisberger in Super Bowl XLIII, Haley and Boldin would have won a championship together.

"I think healthy conflict, discussion, banter is good because it gets you to the right place and gets everyone on the same page and where you need to be," Haley said.

"Like I've said a number of times, when I make a call into Ben's ear in the game I'm putting complete faith in him to make it the best call it can be. The same goes for him.

"When he hears my voice, he has to trust and believe that the play coming is giving us the best chance to succeed. You develop that in these Sunday battles against other teams. That's where it develops with the trust and camaraderie. That's what's occurred. There will be ups and downs because there's emotion and a lot at stake every week. We put a lot of time, effort and sacrifice into this. I think a little bit of healthy conflict is a good thing."

Roethlisberger is having one of his better statistical seasons under Haley's direction. He has thrown 22 touchdowns and only six interceptions. The touchdown total is his third highest in a season. He threw 26 in 2009 and 32 in 2007.

Roethlisberger's career-low for interceptions was five in 2010, when he was suspended for the first four games of the season. Haley was not taking any solace in those statistics.

"What we're about is win-loss," Haley said. "That's how you're measured. How many wins do you have? Are you in the playoffs? We're shooting for that game in New Orleans. That's our only goal.

"That's the great thing about here in Pittsburgh. The expectations are truly what we say they are. It's Super Bowl or bust. That's the focus. Win these big games you have to win to get into the tournament and then obviously win those. Numbers and all that stuff are not important to me. It's important what the final score says at the end of the day.

"It's not having the highest-rated quarterback or most rushing yards or the highest-rated receivers. It's to win games."

And Haley believes Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a great chance to do that the next two games and get into the playoffs.

"The great thing is whether there's a media fire storm or not, you need a really good quarterback to win in this league," he said. "We happen to have, in my opinion, an elite quarterback. You're talking about a player that is a really, really good player at his position, and he's the quarterback. That gives you a chance to win each and every week."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisbergers-criticism-doesnt-faze-haley-667250/#ixzz2FnzIPgG7[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha