Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben no longer clutch

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Well that narrows the field to three, maybe four, teams.
    Also the style of offense can help or hose Wallace. He may have a hard life in the NFL just like Santonio. We will see.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The play calling was awfully predictable at the end of the 4th quarter and into overtime. Carr said as much at the end of the game. He said he read his keys and Wallace always runs an out from that formation so when he read his keys he was able to break on the ball quicker. He said knowing coach Haley helped. Ben could have made a better throw but the play calling sure didn't help!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    The play calling was awfully predictable at the end of the 4th quarter and into overtime. Carr said as much at the end of the game. He said he read his keys and Wallace always runs an out from that formation so when he read his keys he was able to break on the ball quicker. He said knowing coach Haley helped. Ben could have made a better throw but the play calling sure didn't help!
    I also read that. It maybe very true. I just want the WR to make a play on the ball. Was very used to that before Wallace and Brown.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I also read that. It maybe very true. I just want the WR to make a play on the ball. Was very used to that before Wallace and Brown.
    I agree 100%, I want Wallace to make a better play on the ball too. He is done as a Steeler in my eyes and I'm a guy who was very supportive of his situation last off-season. He has shown very little as far as heart and desire to help this team during 2012 and is not a spirit I would prefer to have around moving forward. He will be missed but will not be irreplaceable. I don't see a problem with Brown so much not going for the ball...I think his problem is focus and I'm sure that will improve as he matures. He is probably one of the most reliable targets Ben has, just this side of Heath Miller. Wallace on the other hand costs this team weekly with his lack of effort and his lack of quality hands. He cost the team early because he couldn't catch a ball cleanly on the sideline forcing an early punt where a completion would have given the team a 1st down inside the 35. He cost the team late because he ran a sloppy route and stopped on the play without touching the player down. I just don't wanna watch #17 play in black and gold any further with that type of performance and effort. He is not worth the 2.7 million he is being paid let alone a raise but some stupid owner will pay him a huge deal this off-season. I'm just glad it won't be the Rooney's.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

The Problem is Ben
    Bad Decisions and Bad Throws
    Bring Back Good Ole Chuck

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys are losing it. That INT had nothing to do with Wallace, it was a really poor throw. You can't blame Wallace for everything. The team as a whole just sucks this year, period.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Wallace the Lebron James of the Steelers or what? The guy gets blamed for everything.

This is about Ben in crunch time and he isn't getting it done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    You guys are losing it. That INT had nothing to do with Wallace, it was a really poor throw. You can't blame Wallace for everything. The team as a whole just sucks this year, period.
    The interception wasn't Wallace's fault, but why couldn't he show a little effort and tag the guy that picked off the pass? I get the impression #17 doesn't care a whole lot about the Steelers winning this season...maybe he's trying to get back at them for not giving him the contract he thinks he deserves...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Ben seems to have some difficulty throwing to his right accurately, unless his feet are well set to throw that way. Wondering what effects the injuries have to do with that.
    Good observation...after seeing the 60 yard bomb to Wallace, I figured that we were out of the woods with regard to Ben's shoulder issue. However, you are correct about throwing to his right. He bounce-passed a screen toward Wallace on the right side earlier, and then was woefully short on another simple screen to the right (may have been Will Johnson that other time, but I'm not 100% sure). Then in overtime, it should have been a straightforward completion to Wallace, but it was behind him and had very little oomph on it. I wonder if there is some lingering range of motion issue with throwing to his right and compared to throwing straight ahead and to his left. Granted, the TD to Miller was to the right, but it wasn't a bang-bang snap-throw play...he was able to scramble around prior to that throw, so the same issues with regard to how his feet are planted are not in play there as compared to WR screens and quick outs to the right.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure if Ben's injury is the reason for the bounced passes to his right... this isn't the first time Ben has thrown a duck in the flats. I think it has more to do with his foot work. Sometimes QB's who are gifted with big arms forget to step into the easy passes... it's no different than a WR who doesn't look the ball in or a basketball player who doesn't use the board on an open layup.

As far as Wallace not touching the defender... not sure about that one. I'm sensing Wallace isn't fundamentally sound when it comes to his running technique and this is why his routes are sloppy and his momentum gets the best of him. He runs like a duck and isn't sharp when it comes to his cuts... looks like he rounded off at the end and didn't realize the guy caught/controlled the INT.