Thread: Dan Rooney to step down Friday as ambassador to Ireland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Dan Rooney to step down Friday as ambassador to Ireland

Dan Rooney to step down Friday as ambassador to Ireland
    December 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Dan Rooney will resign as U.S. ambassador to Ireland Friday after more than three years serving as President Barack Obama's top diplomat in Dublin.

The resignation, which has been expected for some time, will allow the 80-year-old Steelers chairman emeritus to return home to Pittsburgh with wife Patricia after serving as ambassador since July 2009. Mr. Rooney was a vocal supporter of Barack Obama during his 2008 presidential run, which led to his appointment, but he had been involved in Irish causes for decades, co-founding the American Ireland Fund with former H.J. Heinz Co. president Tony O'Reilly in 1976.

Mr. Rooney became the first U.S. ambassador to visit all 32 counties in Ireland, north and south, and spent much of his time in the country to boosting the Irish economy after its 2008 collapse. Other diplomatic issues included the thorny matter of undocumented Irish working in the United States; welcoming new immigrants into Ireland; addressing global security concerns; and meeting with U.S. military personnel as they stopped in Shannon in Western Ireland on their way home.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/politics-national/dan-rooney-to-step-down-friday-as-ambassador-to-ireland-666224/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What's this have to do with Steelers' football?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    What's this have to do with Steelers' football?
    I don't want to be mean, but you are an idiot sometimes. What does an OWNER of the Steelers have to do with Steelers football?

Not to mention that he has not been a part of running the team on a day to day basis for 3 years. Some think he will come back and be more involved and that is a good thing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I don't want to be mean, but you are an idiot sometimes. What does an OWNER of the Steelers have to do with Steelers football?

Not to mention that he has not been a part of running the team on a day to day basis for 3 years. Some think he will come back and be more involved and that is a good thing.
    That's the whole point: He hasn't had anything to do with running the team for 3 years, so why is this relative? And, he ain't gonna be running the team now; he is 80 years-old and running a $1 billion plus entity is not something that 80-year-olds should be doing (unless you want an end product like the Raiders and the 80-year-old Al Davis.)

And ad hominem attacks are not tolerated here, so I am expecting the mods to admonish you for calling me an idiot. If not, they are not following their own rules.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

why is this relative?
    Ha ha, this is very freudian. Psst, by the way, you meant "relevant" i'm sure. Have your english teacher explain it to you tomorrow at elementary school.

And ad hominem attacks are not tolerated here, so I am expecting the mods to admonish you for calling me an idiot. If not, they are not following their own rules.
    You've been doing it to yourself the last three days. Either your 10 and stole your dads log in information, or your chronologically stuck at that age.

If you can't see how Dan Rooney is relevant to the Steelers, the idiot shoe fits. How many 80 yr olds you know are coherent and together enough to be an ambassador? You bet your sweet ass he has plenty of input not only into the Steelers, but into the league as a whole.
    Last edited by BigRob; 12-14-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ha ha, this is very freudian. Psst, by the way, you meant "relevant" i'm sure. Have your english teacher explain it to you tomorrow at elementary school.

You've been doing it to yourself the last three days. Either your 10 and stole your dads log in information, or your chronologically stuck at that age.

If you can't see how Dan Rooney is relevant to the Steelers, the idiot shoe fits. How many 80 yr olds you know are coherent and together enough to be an ambassador? You bet your sweet ass he has plenty of input not only into the Steelers, but into the league as a whole.
    No, I meant "relative."

rel·a·tive
    [rel-uh-tiv] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who is connected with another or others by blood or marriage.
    something having, or standing in, some relation to something else.
    something dependent upon external conditions for its specific nature, size, etc. ( opposed to absolute ).
    Grammar . a relative pronoun, adjective, or adverb.
    adjective
    considered in relation to something else; comparative: the relative merits of democracy and monarchy.
    existing or having its specific nature only by relation to something else; not absolute or independent: Happiness is relative.
    having relation or connection.
    having reference or regard; relevant; pertinent (usually followed by to ): to determine the facts relative to an accident.
    correspondent; proportionate: Value is relative to demand.
    Now, let's see if you can figure it out.

Legend

User Info Menu

just curious, what type of imput has he had on the team and league the last 3 years?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's the whole point: He hasn't had anything to do with running the team for 3 years, so why is this relative? And, he ain't gonna be running the team now; he is 80 years-old and running a $1 billion plus entity is not something that 80-year-olds should be doing (unless you want an end product like the Raiders and the 80-year-old Al Davis.)

LloydDroid.... do you yapp your mouth off like this in the real world. I am sure you are adored by many in the workplace and your friends don't talk behind your back.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if you don't think dan rooney is relative to steelers football, you are dumber than a bag of doorknobs.

please go back to whatever rock you crawled out from under back in august.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dan Rooney has little to nothing to do with Steeler football from now on. What can't you grasp about that? And Eddie, your troglodyte traits have been well-documented, so, be well. There is nothing wrong with workers.