Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Steelers Offense Stink?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why Does Steelers Offense Stink?

I guess you could say we've improved under Haley. We've gone from scoring 20 points/game and ranking 22nd under BA to scoring 21 points/game and ranking 21st under Haley.

2/3 of the league has better offensive performance. Including perennial offensive juggernauts Buffalo, Minnesota, Chicago. Teams with rookie QBs are scoring more points than we are - Washington, Seattle, Indy.

What is wrong? We can't pass block. We can't run block. We can't hold on to the ball. We don't get help and easy field position from our ST or D via turnovers.

Why is this and why can't Haley fix it? It's starting to look like BA really did just get a bad rap and was the scapegoat in Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Injuries to the OL and the starting QB missing three games. That pretty well sums it up. We all thought we turned the corner on the OL when in relaity it appears we peeked around the corner and haven't made that turn yet. I'll continue to say what I have said for the past three years, until we really fix the OL you can't fairly evaluate any offensive performance.

Yes...BA was never as bad as his haters want to portray him as. His offense had potential but he didn't have an OL that could execute it. His biggest fault was not realizing that and adjusting with more quick throws to TEs and RBs to help keep Ben upright.

Big article in today's USA Today about what a great job Arians is doing.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-14-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

This year it is injuries..particularly to Ben. The O was starting to click right before Ben got injured and then we had a four-game period (so far) where they have looked like garbage since. Hopefully, they start to round back into shape this week.

But the "Steeler way" is to emphasize defense and not try to score 50 points a game on offense. Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it sometimes, I can't imagine the Steelers trying to score the way NE does.

I bet if all facets of the Steelers were clicking (O, D, and ST), this organization would be completely comfortable with an offensive ranking in the 10-15 range.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    But the "Steeler way" is to emphasize defense and not try to score 50 points a game on offense. Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it sometimes, I can't imagine the Steelers trying to score the way NE does.
    The "Steelers way" is not in touch with the current NFL. We are the #1 ranked defense and have 6 losses. Big whoop for the rankings. The reality is this defense may have a meaningless ranking but they are not an "impact" defense--can't sack the QB and can't get INTs.

I wish the Steelers would try to score how NE does because then we probably wouldn't be losing to teams with losing records.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The attitude problems don't help either. You have a Mike Wallace who says he "loses concentration" because he isn't getting the ball thrown his way all the time... you have a Rashard Mendenhall who decides that just because he isn't going to dress for a game, he won't show up for the game... and probably a lot more problems with those two than we know about... those kind of things can negatively affect the rest of the offense. Might be a case of addition by subtraction this offseason.

Backup

User Info Menu

In the nine-and-a-half games the Steelers have played with Ben Roethlisberger at QB, they've averaged 23.7 points per game, and they've committed no more than two turnovers in any game that he's played. In fact, they've averaged 1.1 turnovers per game with him, which would amount to 18 turnovers over 16 games.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    This year it is injuries..particularly to Ben. The O was starting to click right before Ben got injured and then we had a four-game period (so far) where they have looked like garbage since. Hopefully, they start to round back into shape this week.

I bet if all facets of the Steelers were clicking (O, D, and ST), this organization would be completely comfortable with an offensive ranking in the 10-15 range.
    BA's offense had injuries... we didn't have Ben for 4 games last year and well, every year Ben gets hurt so it's not a good excuse IMO.

I agree we are content with being 15th on offense but I swear... when I go to a sports bar to watch the Steelers our offense looks awful compared to the other games that are on TV. It's probably THE worst offense in football when you look at the talent we have at skill positions.

The only thing keeping us afloat is our D and our gritty play by the QB.... but it ain't pretty or fun to watch most games... the only good thing about our team is our ability to make every game into a nail biter and TV stations love us for it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ben played in 15 games last year...

It was 2010 when he missed the four games from suspension...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ben played in 15 games last year...

It was 2010 when he missed the four games from suspension...
    thanks... but they stunk last year too.

Starter

User Info Menu

This would be in response to the Offense is not getting any help from Turnovers.

Dulac: Todays PG

The Steelers swiped nine passes in the 11-game 1940 season that stands as their low-water mark, according to research by Steelers Digest. Unless they come up with two more over the next three games -- a big order for them the past two seasons -- they will go down in history as the worst team in the 80 years of the franchise at picking off passes.

nfl.com interception stats

20 [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT"]Steelers[/URL] 13 20.3 264 896 620 276 27.0 0 76 11 1 105 43T 18 14 2

Dulac same article:

They're not doing much better recovering fumbles. They have five, one on a muffed punt, giving them just 12 forced turnovers. They've lost three games by three points and another by six, and the reason could be they also have lost their once innate ability to turn the ball over to their offense.

The jumbled mess, which is what that nfl.com usually is disagrees with Dulac.
    On that line I opened the 11 is supposedly the 2012 Int number for TS. The 18 is the Forced Fumbles and the 14 is the recovered fumbles. Some large disagreement there. And no, I am not going to go through all the Official nfl gamebooks to see WTF is going on here. But frankly, I do think Dulac watches TS games and is probably correct. I keep saying that Goodell has hired too many of his nitwit relatives because so much of that site is screwed up. But no one ever seems to agree. I mean like its is already week 13 of the season and when you go to the stat site the opening page is still 2011. You then have to change that to 2012 change it to regular season stats then change the page to 2012 regular season, then change it to the stat you are interested in then etc etc. Give me a break. What nitwit set that up?

nfl.com again: this is the Total Defense stat line for TS.

32 [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT"]Steelers[/URL] 13 20.3 264 762 262.4 4.5 16.6 62 170 36 7 8 88 76 687 27:18 14 5
    the last # is 5 that is under Lost the 14 is under forced fumbles. I think I see what happened in the other stats. the 18 is the end of the TOP stat. Are they not real -------/Now again the line from the INT page.

Never mind. The 1st one is what was on the 2012 page. BUT: On a hunch I took a look at TS Offensive Pass Stats. You guessed it. TS have thrown 11 INTs. Hmm!. Am I now supposed to believe that TS have intercepted Big Ben Eleven times.