Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Steelers Offense Stink?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Why Does Steelers Offense Stink?

I guess you could say we've improved under Haley. We've gone from scoring 20 points/game and ranking 22nd under BA to scoring 21 points/game and ranking 21st under Haley.

2/3 of the league has better offensive performance. Including perennial offensive juggernauts Buffalo, Minnesota, Chicago. Teams with rookie QBs are scoring more points than we are - Washington, Seattle, Indy.

What is wrong? We can't pass block. We can't run block. We can't hold on to the ball. We don't get help and easy field position from our ST or D via turnovers.

Why is this and why can't Haley fix it? It's starting to look like BA really did just get a bad rap and was the scapegoat in Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Injuries to the OL and the starting QB missing three games. That pretty well sums it up. We all thought we turned the corner on the OL when in relaity it appears we peeked around the corner and haven't made that turn yet. I'll continue to say what I have said for the past three years, until we really fix the OL you can't fairly evaluate any offensive performance.

Yes...BA was never as bad as his haters want to portray him as. His offense had potential but he didn't have an OL that could execute it. His biggest fault was not realizing that and adjusting with more quick throws to TEs and RBs to help keep Ben upright.

Big article in today's USA Today about what a great job Arians is doing.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-14-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

This year it is injuries..particularly to Ben. The O was starting to click right before Ben got injured and then we had a four-game period (so far) where they have looked like garbage since. Hopefully, they start to round back into shape this week.

But the "Steeler way" is to emphasize defense and not try to score 50 points a game on offense. Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it sometimes, I can't imagine the Steelers trying to score the way NE does.

I bet if all facets of the Steelers were clicking (O, D, and ST), this organization would be completely comfortable with an offensive ranking in the 10-15 range.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    But the "Steeler way" is to emphasize defense and not try to score 50 points a game on offense. Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it sometimes, I can't imagine the Steelers trying to score the way NE does.
    The "Steelers way" is not in touch with the current NFL. We are the #1 ranked defense and have 6 losses. Big whoop for the rankings. The reality is this defense may have a meaningless ranking but they are not an "impact" defense--can't sack the QB and can't get INTs.

I wish the Steelers would try to score how NE does because then we probably wouldn't be losing to teams with losing records.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The "Steelers way" is not in touch with the current NFL. We are the #1 ranked defense and have 6 losses. Big whoop for the rankings. The reality is this defense may have a meaningless ranking but they are not an "impact" defense--can't sack the QB and can't get INTs.

I wish the Steelers would try to score how NE does because then we probably wouldn't be losing to teams with losing records.
    This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40. For the big bad Pittsburgh Steelers we play not to lose on both sides of the ball. That's why after being burnt for a TD on one long pass play last week against the Chargers you saw our CB's giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 2 allowing Rivers to easily complete short passes. Reminded me of Lebeau being terrified of Tom Brady's long ball so he had Willie Williams giving a 10 yard cushion all AFCCG long in 2004 only to have Brady complete about a dozen short passes right in front of Williams.

The Steelers are a very conservative team and it hurts them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40. For the big bad Pittsburgh Steelers we play not to lose on both sides of the ball. That's why after being burnt for a TD on one long pass play last week against the Chargers you saw our CB's giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 2 allowing Rivers to easily complete short passes. Reminded me of Lebeau being terrified of Tom Brady's long ball so he had Willie Williams giving a 10 yard cushion all AFCCG long in 2004 only to have Brady complete about a dozen short passes right in front of Williams.

I think we give a cushion when there's no help for a corner over the top. And we press when there's safety help for the corner. The bottom line is Lebeau is trying to mix it up and have more guys to pressure the QB and he'll give a cushion.

How'd you like when Brown played Alexander tight on his first TD? Everyone else gave a cushion on that play because there was no help over the top. And they went after the guy pressing Alexander. And Brown got beat bad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think we give a cushion when there's no help for a corner over the top. And we press when there's safety help for the corner. The bottom line is Lebeau is trying to mix it up and have more guys to pressure the QB and he'll give a cushion.

How'd you like when Brown played Alexander tight on his first TD? Everyone else gave a cushion on that play because there was no help over the top. And they went after the guy pressing Alexander. And Brown got beat bad.
    Pretty sure this discussion could automatically go over into the 'Our defense plays worse when Troy is in there' cause when Allen was in there he played safety, not as a 5th linebacker, 100% of the time meaning we had safety help over the top 100% of the time. Why is our safety at the LOS half the time he is in there? Because we have no pass rush...Why do we have no pass rush?

Backup

User Info Menu

This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40.
    They scored 41 against the Browns to end the 2010 season.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are right: they play "not to lose" even though Cowher is gone. That attitude must be inherent from the Rooneys themselves, or why do different coaches seemingly coach the same way? I love how Brady, Belichick and the Pats just jack up teams and go aggressive and tear them a new butt hole. That is the way to roll, not this wussy, "I am scared to be burned" mindset. New England is also aggressive with weeding out bad attitudes; they don't play pitty pat once a player has a non-team attitude - they cut them out like cancer. Not this team; they wait until the season is ruined before they make any moves to stamp out players with bad attitudes. Wallace should have been dealt with many weeks ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You are right: they play "not to lose" even though Cowher is gone. That attitude must be inherent from the Rooneys themselves, or why do different coaches seemingly coach the same way? I love how Brady, Belichick and the Pats just jack up teams and go aggressive and tear them a new butt hole. That is the way to roll, not this wussy, "I am scared to be burned" mindset. New England is also aggressive with weeding out bad attitudes; they don't play pitty pat once a player has a non-team attitude - they cut them out like cancer. Not this team; they wait until the season is ruined before they make any moves to stamp out players with bad attitudes. Wallace should have been dealt with many weeks ago.
    What about the way Bellichick presents his injury report (which seems to be a major issue for you, since you so strongly objected to the Steelers lying to you about Polamalu's calf injury)? Belichick routinely lists nearly 2 dozen players all as questionable, whether they have a broken bone or a hangnail. At one point, I believe Brady was listed as questionable in every game for something like 2 or 3 years without missing a single snap. Players are never probable, doubtful, or out (unless on I.R.)...they are always questionable.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.