Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Steelers Offense Stink?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben's Injury, O-Line injuries and Antonio Brown's injury is a good place to start. Throw in all the missed opportunities from Mike Wallace and not having a #1 RB w/ endurance doesn't help.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    The attitude problems don't help either. You have a Mike Wallace who says he "loses concentration" because he isn't getting the ball thrown his way all the time... you have a Rashard Mendenhall who decides that just because he isn't going to dress for a game, he won't show up for the game... and probably a lot more problems with those two than we know about... those kind of things can negatively affect the rest of the offense. Might be a case of addition by subtraction this offseason.
    Yeah, this is another real good one. He sure picked a bad time to bring this up. But what is really puzzling about this is it may not be true.

I am not sure of this except that I did hear it on a radio talk show and it was not a caller it was the host. He said that actually Wallace has been targeted more times this year than in 2011. He also said something about his production was not really down that much.

But the reason the fans are so down on Wallace is, while his overall production may in fact not be that much down from 2011, it seems that many of his misses came at critical times in games. A few of them definitely came early in games and seemed to destroy offensive continuity and certainly changed momentum. That could just have been a coincidence I suppose, but still?

Anyone know if that is true that he is really not being overlooked as a target at all. Is that only in his head too?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post

Anyone know if that is true that he is really not being overlooked as a target at all. Is that only in his head too?
    Wally's being targeted more:

2012 - 104 targets in 13 games

2011 - 114 targets in 16 games

So he's getting a about 1 more target per game. But his average per catch, his YAC, his 1st downs, are all going south. And his hands are getting worse.

He's got 8 TDs this year - same as last year.

But his attitude is a cancer. That's the biggest problem. He's been in a slump/funk for a year and a half now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The "Steelers way" is not in touch with the current NFL. We are the #1 ranked defense and have 6 losses. Big whoop for the rankings. The reality is this defense may have a meaningless ranking but they are not an "impact" defense--can't sack the QB and can't get INTs.

I wish the Steelers would try to score how NE does because then we probably wouldn't be losing to teams with losing records.
    This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40. For the big bad Pittsburgh Steelers we play not to lose on both sides of the ball. That's why after being burnt for a TD on one long pass play last week against the Chargers you saw our CB's giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 2 allowing Rivers to easily complete short passes. Reminded me of Lebeau being terrified of Tom Brady's long ball so he had Willie Williams giving a 10 yard cushion all AFCCG long in 2004 only to have Brady complete about a dozen short passes right in front of Williams.

The Steelers are a very conservative team and it hurts them.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wally's being targeted more:

2012 - 104 targets in 13 games

2011 - 114 targets in 16 games

So he's getting a about 1 more target per game. But his average per catch, his YAC, his 1st downs, are all going south. And his hands are getting worse.

He's got 8 TDs this year - same as last year.

But his attitude is a cancer. That's the biggest problem. He's been in a slump/funk for a year and a half now.
    Then I was not hearing things. You are so right about the attitude thing.

Not to get off the subject, but since this thread is going to get a lot of action I have a couple questions.

1. How do you get a section of a post with who said it. For example:

Originally Posted by Keyplay1 [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=538006#post538006"][/URL]

2. Anybody familiar with Clete Blakeman? He is going to ref the game Sunday. He is not on my Steeler killer list so maybe for a change we get a half decent road game from the zebras. It is getting tiresome getting ripped off on the road this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40. For the big bad Pittsburgh Steelers we play not to lose on both sides of the ball. That's why after being burnt for a TD on one long pass play last week against the Chargers you saw our CB's giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 2 allowing Rivers to easily complete short passes. Reminded me of Lebeau being terrified of Tom Brady's long ball so he had Willie Williams giving a 10 yard cushion all AFCCG long in 2004 only to have Brady complete about a dozen short passes right in front of Williams.

I think we give a cushion when there's no help for a corner over the top. And we press when there's safety help for the corner. The bottom line is Lebeau is trying to mix it up and have more guys to pressure the QB and he'll give a cushion.

How'd you like when Brown played Alexander tight on his first TD? Everyone else gave a cushion on that play because there was no help over the top. And they went after the guy pressing Alexander. And Brown got beat bad.

Backup

User Info Menu

This. As soon as we get up by 10 we shut down the offense until the other team scores. We rarely put up over 30 points and I can't think of the last time we put up 40.
    They scored 41 against the Browns to end the 2010 season.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think we give a cushion when there's no help for a corner over the top. And we press when there's safety help for the corner. The bottom line is Lebeau is trying to mix it up and have more guys to pressure the QB and he'll give a cushion.

How'd you like when Brown played Alexander tight on his first TD? Everyone else gave a cushion on that play because there was no help over the top. And they went after the guy pressing Alexander. And Brown got beat bad.
    Pretty sure this discussion could automatically go over into the 'Our defense plays worse when Troy is in there' cause when Allen was in there he played safety, not as a 5th linebacker, 100% of the time meaning we had safety help over the top 100% of the time. Why is our safety at the LOS half the time he is in there? Because we have no pass rush...Why do we have no pass rush?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are right: they play "not to lose" even though Cowher is gone. That attitude must be inherent from the Rooneys themselves, or why do different coaches seemingly coach the same way? I love how Brady, Belichick and the Pats just jack up teams and go aggressive and tear them a new butt hole. That is the way to roll, not this wussy, "I am scared to be burned" mindset. New England is also aggressive with weeding out bad attitudes; they don't play pitty pat once a player has a non-team attitude - they cut them out like cancer. Not this team; they wait until the season is ruined before they make any moves to stamp out players with bad attitudes. Wallace should have been dealt with many weeks ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger, like many quarterbacks coming off an extended injury layoff, wasn‘t spectacular in his return. He went 22 of 42 for 285 yards and three TDs on Sunday, but he missed quite a few throws. He expects to be much better in Dallas. “I think I did come out a little anxious, a little rusty, but we just couldn‘t put it together,” Roethlisberger said. “It wasn‘t like we had any two positions doing the right thing. It was one of those funky things, and I think we‘ve got it corrected.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F4AqDceN[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha