Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's replacement

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't motivating them do you really think 40 and 50 year old men raising their voices is going to do the trick. These players have been yelled at their entire lives. They know how to tune out when getting yelled at. All you had to do was watch Cowher's antics and the expression on the player's faces. They just checked out, let him rant and moved on.

I went to a military school and it took about 2-3 weeks to figure out how to shutdown when you had multiple people screaming at you 6" from your face. That doesn't motivate and it doesn't work. In addition, I taught leadership in the Army for several years and the least effective manner of motivating experienced individuals was aggressive behavior. If anything i had the opposite effect than that intended. As I said yesterday, this isn't Pee Wee football and these players are 10 years old.
    Please show me where I said Tomlin needed to Cowher these guys up...

There are plenty of ways of motivating players...

[url]http://proplayerinsiders.com/fifteen-year-old-inspires-a-giant-victory/[/url]

Maybe the Steelers need to go out into the city and spend more time with the fans and get a glimpse of how good they have it? Maybe Tomlin needs to bring in a few people to teach leadership or re-energize the team.

Yelling is a part of football but it isn't the only way to get a person motivated. Playing football is a job... and like most jobs it's easy to get in a rut or mail it in. Tomlin is the CEO/Manager of our team... he needs to lead and motivate... and maybe he needs to be motivated by his boss as well. I'm not talking hot seat or rumors of being fired. I'm talking about being challenged to get his guys moving in the right direction. It could be a call form Dungy... I have no idea but you can't trot out there and do the same thing as last week and expect a different result.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    There are around 2,000 NFL players out of the 300,000,000 people in the United States. That is well within the 10% that dont need to be managed even if you add all the other pro sports in this country. Part of the point of being a professional is that you have the intrinsic motivation to prepare yourself. When you are an adult you shouldnt need someone there telling you to do things. Add into that the millions of dollars these guys get paid, plus the bonus' for performance. that should be enough

A head coach in pro sports is there to make team decisions, prepare game plans so the players can PREPARE TO PLAY. If each guy shows up and does his job they will win. Tomlin shouldnt have to sit there and baby these guys to make sure they do what they are getting paid to do.
    I understand what your saying and I AGREE with you. However, what your saying is just not reality. I've worked with people that are "professionals" and are much older than me. They are NOT self motivating and they need to be told about what tasks to do and when to do them. In addition to that, you even need to followup with them to ensure that it's done and done correctly.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    You are wrong b/c Lloyddroid said so and his Steeler knowledge dwarfs yours and none of us know anything about football. So you're wrong. Just accept the fact that you are WRONG!!!!
    I laughed out loud. Thanks!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAR View Post
    Chuck Noll used to tell his players that if he needed to motivate them, they probably deserved to be fired. Should the Steelers have replaced Noll?
    It saddens me that some take so long to comprehend things. I never said Tomlin should go all rah rah and cheer lead. No one ever said that. Noll did motivate - he did so by benching and cutting players who weren't getting it done, and everyone knew that if they didn't put forth a full effort, they'd be cut. He didn't have to say much of anything - his actions did all the talking for him. It appears to me that players feel they can get away with thing with Tomlin, and that is why we have the problems we do. He is just NOW taking some actions, but they are a dollar short and 4 weeks too late.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I understand what your saying and I AGREE with you. However, what your saying is just not reality. I've worked with people that are "professionals" and are much older than me. They are NOT self motivating and they need to be told about what tasks to do and when to do them. In addition to that, you even need to followup with them to ensure that it's done and done correctly.
    Ahhhh, someone with real world experience who understands human nature. How refreshing. The only people who don't need managed are the very few self-starting hard workers. They exist in the form of your Hines Wards, etc. The vast majority of players need managed in order to get maximum production - they won't take effort on their own to make that extra lap, do the needed reps in weight lifting, etc. Why do you think so many show up out of shape in the camps? If they were so "professional" and self motivated, why don't they come into camp already in peak shape? I swear, some of you just don't apply logic or critical thinking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I should start my own version of Twitter...instead of a 140 character limit, you should be required to format all of your posts in a 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable format.
    The real question should be: Why do you waste so much bandwidth with that dumb painting in your sig? It seems very wasteful. Why such a large image? It's like a foot high.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't motivating them do you really think 40 and 50 year old men raising their voices is going to do the trick. These players have been yelled at their entire lives. They know how to tune out when getting yelled at. All you had to do was watch Cowher's antics and the expression on the player's faces. They just checked out, let him rant and moved on.

I went to a military school and it took about 2-3 weeks to figure out how to shutdown when you had multiple people screaming at you 6" from your face. That doesn't motivate and it doesn't work. In addition, I taught leadership in the Army for several years and the least effective manner of motivating experienced individuals was aggressive behavior. If anything i had the opposite effect than that intended. As I said yesterday, this isn't Pee Wee football and these players are 10 years old.
    Professionals need to be treated as "professionals"

There is a time for screaming and yelling but it better be in good timing and done to the level of the audience.
    Like the time I absolutely flipped out on my 9 & 12 yr old doing a half ass'd job cleaning up the kitchen. Totally flipped, they were in tears...but they know the difference between cleaning thoroughly and sweeping stuff under the rug now.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There is a time for screaming and yelling but it better be in good timing and done to the level of the audience.
    Like the time I absolutely flipped out on my 9 & 12 yr old doing a half ass'd job cleaning up the kitchen. Totally flipped, they were in tears...but they know the difference between cleaning thoroughly and sweeping stuff under the rug now.
    I am still trying to figure out who said that screaming and yelling was what we were looking for; I merely want appropriate management that doesn't produce lackadaisical, lazy efforts leading to so many losses to horrible teams. That in no way asserts that we need coaches yelling; on the contrary, it calls for benching and cutting players who aren't on board and are not doing their jobs. This team, and coach, is just too slow to react once they see a player isn't putting forth full effort. I mean, the thing with putting Wallace as a "co-starter" was weak as all hell. At the very least, make him 2nd string, not a "co-starter." What kind of weak crap is that? With such weak and slow moves, you end up with a team who losses to the likes of Oak, TN, Cle, and SD. There should be no mystery as to why this team lacks focus. Their feet are not held to the fire when they should be. Period, end of story. Tomlin's recent additional of body fat is an indication that he lacks the discipline to run this team to produce maximum efforts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That is why kids don't raise themselves; we aren't alligators or some species where the young are hatched and on their own. Kids are stupid; they need direction. If they didn't we'd have them and just let them outside to raise themselves. And human beings, for the most part, need managed. If they didn't why do most players show up out of shape for camp? They need FORCED to work out on a level making them truly prepared for football. If not, why do we need so many camps? Hell, why is their such a leadership chain in the military if "professionals" did all they need to do on their own?
    Last edited by lloydroid; 12-14-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I am still trying to figure out who said that screaming and yelling was what we were looking for; I merely want appropriate management that doesn't produce lackadaisical, lazy efforts leading to so many losses to horrible teams. That in no way asserts that we need coaches yelling; on the contrary, it calls for benching and cutting players who aren't on board and are not doing their jobs. This team, and coach, is just too slow to react once they see a player isn't putting forth full effort. I mean, the thing with putting Wallace as a "co-starter" was weak as all hell. At the very least, make him 2nd string, not a "co-starter." What kind of weak crap is that? With such weak and slow moves, you end up with a team who losses to the likes of Oak, TN, Cle, and SD. There should be no mystery as to why this team lacks focus. Their feet are not held to the fire when they should be. Period, end of story. Tomlin's recent additional of body fat is an indication that he lacks the discipline to run this team to produce maximum efforts.
    Lloyddroid... in some ways your post/rants prove your own point.

Sometimes you say some good stuff I totally agree with and then other times you go out on a limb (which is fine) ...but you lose people w/ how you present yourself. I'm willing to say you didn't think out this Thread when you first wrote it. You flew by the seat of ur pants w/out checking yourself (which led to wreckin' youself )

I would say the man you are critisizing (Tomlin) could teach you a few things about communication and the "EF Hutton" Principle.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!