Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tomlin's replacement

With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play" and the trend of losing so many games to the very worst teams, so often (let's not forget 2009 as well) the writing could be on the wall for firing Tomlin.

So, who would replace him?

1. Todd Haley. He didn't have such a good run as head coach in KC, but let's not forget that the amazing Bill Belichick didn't have such a successful first gig in Cleveland either. Now look at BB - inarguably the best head coach in the NFL, and one of the best EVER in the history, if not THE best ever. So, Haley could still be good head coach material. And, I don't mind that he gets ticked off sometimes. As a matter of fact, I LIKE it.

2. Eric Mangini. A Belichick prodigy and see above. No one was going to be successful coaching the Browns - the entire organization was a joke. Now, with their new owner and giving Holmgren the boot, they might be improving. But EM had no chance to make them a good team in that environment. EM is going to get another shot at some point. And I really like him on "First Take" - he is very intelligent and wise. He could be a big improvement over the mess we have now, where obviously, the players are not focused and not giving their best effort.

3. Chip Kelly. Yes, some college coaches do not make a successful transaction into the NFL, but then again, some do. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pro and did a fantastic job as head coach in Dallas. Pete Carrol currently has Seattle on the right track. Chip shows all the signs of being a good NFL coach. He would runs circle around Tomlin, as most coaches actually do.

4. John Gruden. Chucky has been out for a while and he is chomping at the bit to get back into action. He already has one Super Bowl ring to show his metal. This team needs a fresh start and Chucky would provide it. It is obvious he knows his football when you listen to him on Monday Night Football and in his sit downs with the rookies, especially with the QBs. I can just see images of Chucky roaming the sidelines at Heinz Field with that scowl on his face. No way does the team come out and lay an egg with that kind of head coach out there. In other words, losses to SD, Oak., Cleveland and TN just ain't happening with that guy in Pgh.

There are some very quality upgrades out there, just there for the taking. I can't stomach this team coming into games, according to the players, "Not prepared to play the game." The s--t ends NOW.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd take EM as the successor to Lebeau when he retires. I think he's actually done a nice job in NY and Cleveland in terms of building defenses.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd take EM as the successor to Lebeau when he retires. I think he's actually done a nice job in NY and Cleveland in terms of building defenses.
    I agree with you, but my guess is he won't settle to return as a DC. He would probably just keep his ESPN gig if he doesn't get a head coaching job. But who knows. Maybe he is finding he has to go back to a coordinator job in order to get another HC gig.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play"
    ...I would say, "You're a freaking professional who makes hundres of thousands of dollars, if not millions!! Freaking PREPARE!!!!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...I would say, "You're a freaking professional who makes hundres of thousands of dollars, if not millions!! Freaking PREPARE!!!!"
    Unrealistic when viewed in terms of the history of mankind.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Unrealistic when viewed in terms of the history of mankind.
    That was neither the question nor the point...

However, it is just as unrealistic to view these men who are paid a king's ransom to play a child's game as incapable of self-actuating...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That was neither the question nor the point...

However, it is just as unrealistic to view these men who are paid a king's ransom to play a child's game as incapable of self-actuating...
    What about salespeople who make a ton of change? Why do they still need sales managers? Football players are just people too. All the same human nature rules apply. Wake up, please. Be well.

Rookie

User Info Menu

What about salespeople who make a ton of change? Why do they still need sales managers? Football players are just people too. All the same human nature rules apply. Wake up, please. Be well.
    Please. Have you every actually worked in sales? Or with commissioned sales reps?

Sales Managers act as, pardon the expression, coaches. The managers set goals and offer advice and help, but the sales people are the ones who have to get up every morning and carry the bag...

"Wake up" indeed. If you are awake than I must have insomnia...

Starter

User Info Menu

With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play" and the trend of losing so many games to the very worst teams, so often (let's not forget 2009 as well) the writing could be on the wall for firing Tomlin.

So, who would replace him?

1. Todd Haley. He didn't have such a good run as head coach in KC, but let's not forget that the amazing Bill Belichick didn't have such a successful first gig in Cleveland either. Now look at BB - inarguably the best head coach in the NFL, and one of the best EVER in the history, if not THE best ever. So, Haley could still be good head coach material. And, I don't mind that he gets ticked off sometimes. As a matter of fact, I LIKE it.

2. Eric Mangini. A Belichick prodigy and see above. No one was going to be successful coaching the Browns - the entire organization was a joke. Now, with their new owner and giving Holmgren the boot, they might be improving. But EM had no chance to make them a good team in that environment. EM is going to get another shot at some point. And I really like him on "First Take" - he is very intelligent and wise. He could be a big improvement over the mess we have now, where obviously, the players are not focused and not giving their best effort.

3. Chip Kelly. Yes, some college coaches do not make a successful transaction into the NFL, but then again, some do. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pro and did a fantastic job as head coach in Dallas. Pete Carrol currently has Seattle on the right track. Chip shows all the signs of being a good NFL coach. He would runs circle around Tomlin, as most coaches actually do.

4. John Gruden. Chucky has been out for a while and he is chomping at the bit to get back into action. He already has one Super Bowl ring to show his metal. This team needs a fresh start and Chucky would provide it. It is obvious he knows his football when you listen to him on Monday Night Football and in his sit downs with the rookies, especially with the QBs. I can just see images of Chucky roaming the sidelines at Heinz Field with that scowl on his face. No way does the team come out and lay an egg with that kind of head coach out there. In other words, losses to SD, Oak., Cleveland and TN just ain't happening with that guy in Pgh.

There are some very quality upgrades out there, just there for the taking. I can't stomach this team coming into games, according to the players, "Not prepared to play the game." The s--t ends NOW.
    all of these coaches are no better than TOMLIN.. these players should be self motivated.. they get paid well enough... KNOLL never had to be a cheerleader.. how bout we see Tomlin have 3 losing seasons in a row and lose the AFCC a few times, yeah? Because Dwyer isn't performing, you've ran out of topics i See..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

all of these coaches are no better than TOMLIN..
    At the very least, ALL of those coaches make better game day decisions than the "Aloof Spoof" who makes God awful decisions all the time. Now we have players admitting they were not prepared to play. Whose job would that be, anyway? Who is in charge of preparing the team and making them ready to play? I wonder.
    these players should be self motivated.. they get paid well enough...
    It doesn't matter how well you are paid, over 90% of human beings need motivated and managed. It's been true throughout human history. It's no different in football. Why would it be? Ever manage a staff of people? Would they do the same amount and quality of work if you didn't "manage" them? "Coach" them? Of course not. It's unrealistic to just claim, "Players are paid well, they should prepare themselves." It smacks against human nature. The vast majority of people need a manager or they slack off. It's a pure fact.

KNOLL never had to be a cheerleader..

Do you mean the "grassy knoll" of JFK assassination fame? Chuck NOLL never was a cheerleader, as he let his actions speak for him. If you didn't give full effort and focus, he simply benched and/or cut you; there wasn't anything to cheer lead - players were well aware of what happened if they slacked off. Actions speak louder than words any how. Obviously, the current players don't fear Tomlin or they wouldn't mail it in on so many games vs. weak opponents.

how bout we see Tomlin have 3 losing seasons in a row and lose the AFCC a few times, yeah? Because Dwyer isn't performing, you've ran out of topics i See.
    I feel to grasp what you are attempting to convey.