Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell Wants To Expand Playoffs

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Goodell Wants To Expand Playoffs

This guy has to be half brain dead......

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8743130/nfl-discuss-expanding-playoff-field-roger-goodell-says[/url]

He's saying they are going to talk about expanding the playoffs to 16 teams. So half the league would get a playoff spot. That's just plain stupid. He even said they will look at possibly having 14 teams....how the hell would that work? 7 teams from each league? Why not just declare the team atop ESPN's power rankings the national champion in a system like college football Roger?

Legend

User Info Menu

If he wants a higher percentage of teams in the playoffs then he should contract the league by 4 teams. It will raise the quality of play and make obtaining a playoff spot more difficult and more meaningful. Expanding the field by a couple teams only introduces 8-8 or 7-9 teams to the playoffs and creates more games to play. I thought Goodell was all about player safety? If you're playing more games, isn't it less safe?

He needs to go.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard Bill Polian talking about this on Mike and Mike this morning. He was saying that they decided 14 teams would make more sense several years back.

They'd only give 1 team a bye week in this scenario. So there'd likely be competition until the end for the 1 seed and more competition for the 7 seed. And the last few weeks would be more meaningful football. He also mentioned with 14 historically, you'd still get teams with winning records. There've been a lot of teams with winning records excluded.

16 teams might not be bad either. The first I heard about this, I wasn't sure. But the more I think about it, it makes for more meaningful football. It essentially adds more playoff type games. And with injuries, you can have teams with mediocre records that are really good competitive teams.

Anyone know how many times we were the 7 or 8 team in the AFC and missed the playoffs? I would love to see us get in the dance next time it happens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Current system seems fine to me. Why mess with something that isn't broken? Like Pap said, another round of playoffs is just an end around for him to get extra games to up NFL revenue. When you are walking around pounding your drum talking about player safety, to then add more games is ridiculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I thought Goodell was all about player safety? If you're playing more games, isn't it less safe?

He needs to go.

Pappy
    exactly my first reaction, Goodell is such a hypocrite.

who is he kidding, it's all about the money...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Current system seems fine to me. Why mess with something that isn't broken? Like Pap said, another round of playoffs is just an end around for him to get extra games to up NFL revenue. When you are walking around pounding your drum talking about player safety, to then add more games is ridiculous.
    14 would mean the 2 seed plays during Wild Card Weekend. 16 would mean the 1 seed plays during the Wild Card round. No extra week of games would be added.

As it stands now, week 15 and 16 games are a crap shoot to be meaningful. Adding playoff teams would make it more likely your team is in a meaningful game at year end rather than having another potential preseason type game.

I don't see this having anything to do with player safety. Just a tweak that could make the game better. We've already gotten into the era where #5 and #6 seeds are regularly winning SuperBowls. So why couldn't a 7 or 8 seed?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If he wants a higher percentage of teams in the playoffs then he should contract the league by 4 teams. It will raise the quality of play and make obtaining a playoff spot more difficult and more meaningful. Expanding the field by a couple teams only introduces 8-8 or 7-9 teams to the playoffs and creates more games to play. I thought Goodell was all about player safety? If you're playing more games, isn't it less safe?

He needs to go.

Pappy

Rookie

User Info Menu

The NFL has had 12 teams since 1990, when a total of 28 teams were in the league...

Now there are 32 teams...14 sounds about right...

Legend

User Info Menu

I like two more play offs team. If it was in effect this year we might actually make the play offs. I do understand the logic, fans of most teams check out of watching football when their teams aren't involved. I know I could care less because I'm a Steelers fan not a who ever is in the play offs fan. This would keep more fans from more cities engaged.

At least it is a better idea than eliminating kick offs.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-14-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We already have 1 or 2 teams that shouldn't be in the playoffs every year....why add more??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!