Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's replacement

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, since I no longer have this quote in my sig at this time, I feel that this inane thread deserves the full audio and video:

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone's motivated by different stuff (money, fear, pride, greed, relationships. etc). A boss or a coach's job is to lay out a plan or vision for the company/team to accomplish. Then they've got to find people who can help them accomplish the plan. And they work to create an environment/culture/system where each of the employees/players can be most successful.

A manager or coach's job isn't to motivate. It's to lead. To strive for and reach a common shared goal. To work for the people who they manage to remove obstacles and help them be successful. The only motivation that works is the kind that comes from inside. Work hard to develop individual strengths and help them maximize their success in their own way and help them see how that contributes or ties into the broader goals. Success breeds success. And the motivation will happen on its own generally.

In any great organization, the leader isn't a boss. He's a servant with a vision.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OK, Did I miss something here???

What player(s) said "we weren't prepared to play" ???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    OK, Did I miss something here???

What player(s) said "we weren't prepared to play" ???
    Keisel's the biggest culprit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin's not going anywhere. Like him or not, he could go sub .500 for the next two years after this one and he would still have a job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Tomlin's not going anywhere. Like him or not, he could go sub .500 for the next two years after this one and he would still have a job.
    $$$$$
    Mike's two Super Bowl appearances bought him a LOT of capital with the Rooneys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Completely untrue. Over 90% of all humans need managed to get them to maximum production. If not, why do managers and coaches even exist. Have you ever managed a staff? What would happen if you quit managing them? Would they continue to provide the same level and quality of work? Of course not. All this talk of "players should prepare themselves" is pure fiction. It smacks against all human history. It's akin to saying water is made out of fire. Head coaches make a difference, and had they not, why do we bother to keep the win-loss records of head coaches? Because it matters, and if a team is coming in not prepared to play, it is major FAIL by the head coach, period. I don't know what fantasy land you guys live in.
    Based on what information do you believe that over 90% of humans need to be managed to get maximum production? In the real world, that's a bit extreme. Most people work with a lot of autonomy. People need to be self motivated to do their jobs. If they don't or can't do the job it's up to management to replace workers.

It's not easy to replace workers when we are talking about the elite of the elite athletes (Less than 1% of the population). You are not going to get the same production out of back up players.

It's difficult to compare the real world with the sports world. Coaches implement the plan and provide guidance. It's up to the players to do the job. When the players don't do the job(execute) based on the coaches plan the team generally fails. Coaches don't usually make that much of a difference unless their players are good enough. The Steelers players didn't play well enough to win vs the Chargers. Blame the coaching if you like but I put lay a majority of the blame on the players. I believe the team was prepared against the Chargers. The team didn't execute, made mistakes on the field, and did not make enough plays to win vs the Chargers. Execution, mistakes on the field, and making plays falls on the players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why did I waste 5 minutes of my life opening this thread. Smdh
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Eric Mangini???
    One more strike and he is out
    I'm missing something

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Why did I waste 5 minutes of my life opening this thread. Smdh
    Is there an ignore button? Lloyd you're just one crazy ass post after another and it's getting INSANE. Truly.