Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 83

Thread: Tomlin's replacement

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer Djfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,379
    Racial epitaths
    empty convictions spoken
    some love to sound right
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com


    My son's first Kansas Turkey!

  2. #42
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play" and the trend of losing so many games to the very worst teams, so often (let's not forget 2009 as well) the writing could be on the wall for firing Tomlin.

    So, who would replace him?

    1. Todd Haley. He didn't have such a good run as head coach in KC, but let's not forget that the amazing Bill Belichick didn't have such a successful first gig in Cleveland either. Now look at BB - inarguably the best head coach in the NFL, and one of the best EVER in the history, if not THE best ever. So, Haley could still be good head coach material. And, I don't mind that he gets ticked off sometimes. As a matter of fact, I LIKE it.

    2. Eric Mangini. A Belichick prodigy and see above. No one was going to be successful coaching the Browns - the entire organization was a joke. Now, with their new owner and giving Holmgren the boot, they might be improving. But EM had no chance to make them a good team in that environment. EM is going to get another shot at some point. And I really like him on "First Take" - he is very intelligent and wise. He could be a big improvement over the mess we have now, where obviously, the players are not focused and not giving their best effort.

    3. Chip Kelly. Yes, some college coaches do not make a successful transaction into the NFL, but then again, some do. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pro and did a fantastic job as head coach in Dallas. Pete Carrol currently has Seattle on the right track. Chip shows all the signs of being a good NFL coach. He would runs circle around Tomlin, as most coaches actually do.

    4. John Gruden. Chucky has been out for a while and he is chomping at the bit to get back into action. He already has one Super Bowl ring to show his metal. This team needs a fresh start and Chucky would provide it. It is obvious he knows his football when you listen to him on Monday Night Football and in his sit downs with the rookies, especially with the QBs. I can just see images of Chucky roaming the sidelines at Heinz Field with that scowl on his face. No way does the team come out and lay an egg with that kind of head coach out there. In other words, losses to SD, Oak., Cleveland and TN just ain't happening with that guy in Pgh.

    There are some very quality upgrades out there, just there for the taking. I can't stomach this team coming into games, according to the players, "Not prepared to play the game." The s--t ends NOW.
    Chuck Noll used to tell his players that if he needed to motivate them, they probably deserved to be fired. Should the Steelers have replaced Noll?

  3. #43
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I should start my own version of Twitter...instead of a 140 character limit, you should be required to format all of your posts in a 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable format.
    @RB Twitter-Ku...
    No more one forty limit...
    Just 575 .....#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.


    Isn't it funny
    #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath has his own candy bar
    But it's not named #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.



    (Ok, you're gonna need some rules for this new site. Are hashtags silent? I read them as silent on twitter. Sometime the word after the hash tag should be silent and other times not. Are @s silent? I read them as silent too. But let's say I want to send you my Hines-Ku and I'm like, Hey RB, check this out so I start off @RB. Is that 0, 2, or 3 syllables? I think it could vary by situation. In the above, I counted it as 2. And I feel shorted wasting 2 syllables on a shout out.)

  4. #44
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    CTFU......
    it was all over for me, in that other thread when u put him on blast..
    I think the season is taking it's mental toll, on some fans.. to the brink of delirium

    a couple things of note...

    -first time I've ever seen someone use "CTFU". I thought you were being rude to Ruthless for some unexplainable reason. Thankfully, google helped me out on this one.

    -I don't know if you meant to do it or not, but the next two lines after that are very good candidates for conversion to haiku, and the punctuation used even made me read it that way

  5. #45
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,002
    And just for reference, here's the complete list of NFL coaches who have more years as a head coach than Tomlin and a higher winning percentage:

    John Madden
    Vince Lombardi
    George Allen
    Ray Flaherty
    George Halas
    Don Shula

    But yeah, let's go ahead and fire the guy because the team had an emotional let down after a huge division win.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

  6. #46
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    And just for reference, here's the complete list of NFL coaches who have more years as a head coach than Tomlin and a higher winning percentage:

    John Madden
    Vince Lombardi
    George Allen
    Ray Flaherty
    George Halas
    Don Shula

    But yeah, let's go ahead and fire the guy because the team had an emotional let down after a huge division win.
    If your facts don't work
    You can always resort to
    Some snarky comment.

  7. #47
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,340
    replacing Tomlin? Not happening anytime soon...

    However, I think some of the responsibility for motivating the team falls on the HC and coaching staff.

  8. #48
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    replacing Tomlin? Not happening anytime soon...

    However, I think some of the responsibility for motivating the team falls on the HC and coaching staff.
    You are wrong b/c Lloyddroid said so and his Steeler knowledge dwarfs yours and none of us know anything about football. So you're wrong. Just accept the fact that you are WRONG!!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  9. #49
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,377
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    @RB Twitter-Ku...
    No more one forty limit...
    Just 575 .....#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.


    Isn't it funny
    #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath has his own candy bar
    But it's not named #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.



    (Ok, you're gonna need some rules for this new site. Are hashtags silent? I read them as silent on twitter. Sometime the word after the hash tag should be silent and other times not. Are @s silent? I read them as silent too. But let's say I want to send you my Hines-Ku and I'm like, Hey RB, check this out so I start off @RB. Is that 0, 2, or 3 syllables? I think it could vary by situation. In the above, I counted it as 2. And I feel shorted wasting 2 syllables on a shout out.)
    I find Twitter to be virtually unreadable because of all the # and @ everywhere. Those symbols are thereby banned from my haiku social media. And that sign that Prince changed his name to for a while is also banned...if it's not pronounceable, we don't know how many syllables it is.

  10. #50
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,458
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    replacing Tomlin? Not happening anytime soon...

    However, I think some of the responsibility for motivating the team falls on the HC and coaching staff.
    If hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't motivating them do you really think 40 and 50 year old men raising their voices is going to do the trick. These players have been yelled at their entire lives. They know how to tune out when getting yelled at. All you had to do was watch Cowher's antics and the expression on the player's faces. They just checked out, let him rant and moved on.

    I went to a military school and it took about 2-3 weeks to figure out how to shutdown when you had multiple people screaming at you 6" from your face. That doesn't motivate and it doesn't work. In addition, I taught leadership in the Army for several years and the least effective manner of motivating experienced individuals was aggressive behavior. If anything i had the opposite effect than that intended. As I said yesterday, this isn't Pee Wee football and these players are 10 years old.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-14-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •