Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Montana wanted to be a Steeler, but Steelers preferred Neil O'Donnell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Montana wanted to be a Steeler, but Steelers preferred Neil O'Donnell

You may have heard of this quarterback by the name of*Joe Montana. His storied tenure as the signal caller for the San Francisco 49ers is one of the greatest stories about a quarterback in NFL history.

His time in a Niners uniform was cut short when*Steve Young*came to town and the team opted to ship him to Kansas City. It was a trade that Montana orchestrated; but Kansas City wasn’t at the top of his list for trade destinations. That honor would go to the Pittsburgh Steelers. But on The*Dan Patrick*Show recently, Montana raised a few eyebrows when he explained why Pittsburgh said no.

Montana, asked about Pittsburgh said:*“Oh yeah. I tried to go there before, when I was looking at Kansas City, and they said no. I think O’Donnell was stil there.”
    Patrick:*“Wait, Steelers said no because they had Neil O’Donnell?”
    Montana: “Yeah, Neil O’Donnell.”

Really, Pittsburgh? Passing up one of the all-time greats for Neil O’Donnell? Sounds pretty crazy to me.

[url]http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2012/12/13/joe-montana-says-he-wanted-to-be-a-pittsburgh-steeler-but-neil-odonnell-got-in-the-way/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Read that today as well: [URL]http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/12/11/joe-montana-wanted-to-go-to-steelers-over-chiefs/[/URL]

Montana said - " It would have been fun to play for them, finish off your career back at home. That would have been fun. And they had a pretty good team, too. That was the other part of it."

Legend

User Info Menu

Montana was 37 years old when he left S.F. for K.C. He only played 2 years there before retiring. Would Montana in his late 30's have been better than a decade-younger O'Donnell? Their numbers for those 2 seasons are pretty darned close.

Montana in 1993: 181-298, 60.7%, 2144 yards, 13 TD, 7 INT
    Montana in 1994: 299-493, 60.6%, 3283 yards, 16 TD, 9 INT

O'Donnell in 1993: 270-486, 55.6%, 3208 yards, 14 TD, 7 INT
    O'Donnell in 1994: 212-370, 57.3%, 2443 yards, 13 TD, 9 INT

Plus, remember that we went to the Super Bowl with O'Donnell the year after Montana retired.

Sure, we lost a playoff game to Montana's Chiefs in overtime, but it wasn't because Montana outplayed O'Donnell in that game:

Neil O'Donnell 23-42, 286 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
    Joe Montana 28-43, 276 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Montana was 37 years old when he left S.F. for K.C. He only played 2 years there before retiring. Would Montana in his late 30's have been better than a decade-younger O'Donnell? Their numbers for those 2 seasons are pretty darned close.

Montana in 1993: 181-298, 60.7%, 2144 yards, 13 TD, 7 INT
    Montana in 1994: 299-493, 60.6%, 3283 yards, 16 TD, 9 INT

O'Donnell in 1993: 270-486, 55.6%, 3208 yards, 14 TD, 7 INT
    O'Donnell in 1994: 212-370, 57.3%, 2443 yards, 13 TD, 9 INT

Plus, remember that we went to the Super Bowl with O'Donnell the year after Montana retired.

Sure, we lost a playoff game to Montana's Chiefs in overtime, but it wasn't because Montana outplayed O'Donnell in that game:

Neil O'Donnell 23-42, 286 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
    Joe Montana 28-43, 276 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Not even comparable. Montana wouldn't have lost the SB by throwing those 2 INT. It still makes me think O'Donnell thru the game on purpose.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Not even comparable. Montana wouldn't have lost the SB by throwing those 2 INT. It still makes me think O'Donnell thru the game on purpose.
    He definitely wouldn't have since he retired the year before...

Backup

User Info Menu

Not so crazy really. It cost the Chiefs safety David Whitmore and a 1994 3rd round pick for 2 years of Montana's services. Montana was 37 years old by the beginning of the '93 season. O'Donnell was 27.
    The #s put up by both QBs during the 1993 and 1994 seasons were fairly comparable.
    I understand wanting to have seen Montana in black and gold, but I don't think we lost out on much there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Not so crazy really. It cost the Chiefs safety David Whitmore and a 1994 3rd round pick for 2 years of Montana's services. Montana was 37 years old by the beginning of the '93 season. O'Donnell was 27.
    The #s put up by both QBs during the 1993 and 1994 seasons were fairly comparable.
    I understand wanting to have seen Montana in black and gold, but I don't think we lost out on much there.
    Actually, the Chiefs received Montana, David Whitmore and a 1994 3rd round pick from the Niners.

In exchange, the Niners got the 18th overall pick in the 1993 draft from the Chiefs.

No way I'd give up a first round pick for a 37 year old who had only played 1 game in the previous 2 seasons.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Actually, the Chiefs received Montana, David Whitmore and a 1994 3rd round pick from the Niners.

In exchange, the Niners got the 18th overall pick in the 1993 draft from the Chiefs.

No way I'd give up a first round pick for a 37 year old who had only played 1 game in the previous 2 seasons.
    We would have missed out on Deon Figures...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    We would have missed out on Deon Figures...
    Figures might have developed into a quality player if he hadn't been shot in the leg through his car door.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Figures might have developed into a quality player if he hadn't been shot in the leg through his car door.

I know. I was lamenting the fact that Figures didn't pan out more than the loss of Montana...