Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Montana wanted to be a Steeler, but Steelers preferred Neil O'Donnell

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Figures might have developed into a quality player if he hadn't been shot in the leg through his car door.

I know. I was lamenting the fact that Figures didn't pan out more than the loss of Montana...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Montana was 37 years old when he left S.F. for K.C. He only played 2 years there before retiring. Would Montana in his late 30's have been better than a decade-younger O'Donnell? Their numbers for those 2 seasons are pretty darned close.

Montana in 1993: 181-298, 60.7%, 2144 yards, 13 TD, 7 INT
    Montana in 1994: 299-493, 60.6%, 3283 yards, 16 TD, 9 INT

O'Donnell in 1993: 270-486, 55.6%, 3208 yards, 14 TD, 7 INT
    O'Donnell in 1994: 212-370, 57.3%, 2443 yards, 13 TD, 9 INT

Plus, remember that we went to the Super Bowl with O'Donnell the year after Montana retired.

Sure, we lost a playoff game to Montana's Chiefs in overtime, but it wasn't because Montana outplayed O'Donnell in that game:

Neil O'Donnell 23-42, 286 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
    Joe Montana 28-43, 276 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
    Not even comparable. Montana wouldn't have lost the SB by throwing those 2 INT. It still makes me think O'Donnell thru the game on purpose.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

But could Joe Montana bench press 600 lbs?

Pfft...easy decision...

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Not even comparable. Montana wouldn't have lost the SB by throwing those 2 INT. It still makes me think O'Donnell thru the game on purpose.
    He definitely wouldn't have since he retired the year before...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek View Post
    But could Joe Montana bench press 600 lbs?

Pfft...easy decision...

Best post ever.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't forget, Montana needed a Brink's truck worth of $, and was old. That is a totally non-Steeler move to go that route: pay premium $ for an old QB in free agency. That's just not gonna ever happen in Pgh, period.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Montana liked to throw to the tight end. Not a good fit for Pittsburgh.......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Montana liked to throw to the tight end. Not a good fit for Pittsburgh.......
    Eric Green made the Pro Bowl in both 1993 and 1994 (63 catches for 942 yards and 5 TD's and 46 catches for 618 yards and 4 TD's, respectively).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Eric Green made the Pro Bowl in both 1993 and 1994 (63 catches for 942 yards and 5 TD's and 46 catches for 618 yards and 4 TD's, respectively).
    Green was a bum; he threw a late night party the night before the AFCC game vs. SD. And we all saw all grand that turned out. Pathetic.

Legend

User Info Menu

I remember going to a game during the Green years and sitting in the 2nd row on the 45 right behind the Steelers bench. Green stood directly in front of us most of the game and he might have been the inspiration for Kim K's butt implant. I've never seen a butt so large on a guy. His legs were the size of a normal sized man.

There was another Steeler back then. Can't remember who it was, but I think he wore #60. That dude was round. He stood next to Green a lot and he made Casey Hampton look svelte.