Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think RB will be high on the draft list this year...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think RB will be high on the draft list this year...

Mendy is a goner, Dwyer, Redman or Batch are feature backs. I just can't see this team ignoring the position early it is hard to win with a feature back getting 50yds a game.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Mendy is a goner, Dwyer, Redman or Batch are feature backs. I just can't see this team ignoring the position early it is hard to win with a feature back getting 50yds a game.
    Adrian Peterson would have a tough time getting 50 yards behind the OL today. Just too many players out. IMO the OL needs a real look in the draft early...still. Colon may be a cap casualty. Foster will likely be gone. Gilbert and Adams still have learning to do and neither is ready to replace Starks.

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprised to see Mendenhall back at a discount.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Adrian Peterson would have a tough time getting 50 yards behind the OL today. Just too many players out. IMO the OL needs a real look in the draft early...still. Colon may be a cap casualty. Foster will likely be gone. Gilbert and Adams still have learning to do and neither is ready to replace Starks.

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprisedrt to see Mendenhall back at a discount.
    Agreed Ovi. I think we have some parts of a really good offensive line, if they could stay healthy. At some point you have to quit saying the 'if they could stay healthy' part and move on to address it and go in a different direction. We need another OT in the mix. Right now I would say Pouncy and Starks are our best OL. Starks should be given at least a 2 year deal in my mind. DeCastro should emerge as a solid RG but can he play LG? Foster seems OK at RG but can he play LG? When all are healthy, who is our RT? Is Gilbert? Did Adams do enough to claim the job? Beachum had a rough game here against SD. If the number one C was there in the first do we take him knowing Pouncey could be a Pro Bowl LG?

We have some other needs as well, but I would still not hesitate to spend the top pick on a game changing player for the trenches.

RB should be a priority but no in the first. What sort of RB do we look for that would suit this offense? BTW, no way would I bring Mendenhall back. Time to move on.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 12-10-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No way!! RB should be way down on the priority list. And besides good backs can be found in mid to late rounds....not high on draft lists unless you are that one player/position away from winning it all.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So Ray Rice is sitting there in the 2nd round and you pass him up?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is no guarantee there is a Ray Rice in round one let alone round two. This next years crop of RB's coming into the NFL are a far cry from a sure thing. Any of them. Do the names Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Andre Ellington, and Joseph Randle jump out at you and say hey draft me with a high draft pick? Not me. Not even a second round pick.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    There is no guarantee there is a Ray Rice in round one let alone round two. This next years crop of RB's coming into the NFL are a far cry from a sure thing. Any of them. Do the names Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Andre Ellington, and Joseph Randle jump out at you and say hey draft me with a high draft pick? Not me. Not even a second round pick.
    By Ray Rice I meant a borderline RND 1 sitting there at the 2nd round pick not implying you can foresee the future and know for sure the production you would get at this level. If we could do that, we wouldn't of drafted Mendenhall.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wonder if a full off season in Haleys Off. and healthy o-line/mendenhall could be back to 1000 or better RB? Mendenhall looked like he could do well catching the ball out of the back field also. I am not ready to give up on him if he would come back on the cheap to prove himself. What kind of money will he get on the open market anyway?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I wonder if a full off season in Haleys Off. and healthy o-line/mendenhall could be back to 1000 or better RB? Mendenhall looked like he could do well catching the ball out of the back field also. I am not ready to give up on him if he would come back on the cheap to prove himself. What kind of money will he get on the open market anyway?

I agree. Mendenhall isn't going to command big money as a free agent and he may be the best option for the team versus taking the chance on a rookie. The reality is if he can keep his head in the game Dwyer looks like the RB of the present and the future, but there is a real big "if."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how the college talent at RB looks yet, but my preference at this point is for the Steelers to add a #1 type WR (if Wallace leaves), a playmaker in the secondary, and depth at OLB and OT, in no particular order.

If there is a Doug Martin or David Wilson type at the end of round 1 - an explosive runner to mix with the plodders - then I think the Steelers have to consider it, but I'd prefer if they could address RB in the middle rounds.