Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Cowboys fan base bigger than Steelers?!?

  1. #21
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,895
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why, did he not go for the 2pt. conversion either?
    This is actually funny! Sure, it fits in with your neverending anti-Tomlin agenda, but it did make me chuckle!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Or as I once read on another forum, "there are Steelers fans and then there are Yinzers".
    As far as I'm concerned, there are Pittsburghers and there are Yinzers.

    Pittsburghers are the more sophisticated, well-rounded, well-versed, well-traveled and well-behaved of the two groups. They have pride in the city for what it is and what it can be, and it goes beyond just the sports scene. They're good ambassadors, both with visitors to the city and when visiting other cities themselves. They know their ways around the city beyond the North Shore and the South Side, and they can even cross multiple rivers multiple times a day.

    As for Yinzers, their pride in the city is rooted almost entirely in the success of its sports teams. Ironically, some of them hate everything about Pittsburgh other than that. They take their love of sports and alcohol to an extreme, which isn't necessarily a good thing, and they tend not to be interested in much beyond either. The only time they might visit another city is if the Steelers have a road game there. They also tend to hate black people unless they play for one of the local sports teams.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 12-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

  3. #23
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,895
    Even though I live more than 5 hours away from Pittsburgh (it would actually take less time for me to travel to see the Giants, Jets, Eagles, Ravens, Redskins, Bills, and Patriots), the Burgh just feels like my adopted home, even though I have never actually lived there. I am a huge Steelers fan and a huge Penguins fan...don't miss any games for either team (even if I have to DVR a Pens game every so often and watch it later). I haven't watched an entire baseball or basketball game in probably two decades or so, because those sports put me to sleep, and therefore I have no connection whatsoever to Pirates baseball or Pitt basketball (just a personal preference...I can't watch soccer, NASCAR, tennis, golf, bowling, etc. either). Which is probably good, because if there was more than just football or hockey for me, my wife would have probably tried to kill me by now.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Maybe they moved to the Pittsburgh area from New England.
    I thought only West Virginians moved to Pittsburgh.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Maybe they moved to the Pittsburgh area from New England. This isn't the 1980's anymore, when everybody was moving out and nobody was moving in. More people have begun to move to Pittsburgh from other cities in the last 10 years, and you can expect that to accelerate considering the local economy is healthier than it is anywhere else except the Great Plains and the Washington DC area. Get used to seeing an increasing number of fans of non-local sports teams in the area. If Pittsburghers don't have to change their sports allegiances when they move to other cities, then people from other cities don't to change their sports allegiances when they move to Pittsburgh. Besides, a little variety makes things more interesting.

    I know all that, I'm just having fun stirring the pot of gold and black. Actually , my wifes cousin grew up a Steeler fan and moved to Baltimore and is now a Ravens fan. The reason being, he loves going to the stadium games as a season ticket holder and to do that, he needed to change his fanship. I could never do that being a Steeler fan and a proud Steeler fan.
    I was thinking about naming our summer home/camp .........Camp Yinzer .....my wife and daughters are nt too happy with that. There's a ton of Philly people up there with camps and they always have a Steeler comment or a yinzer comment towards me. I thought Camp Yinzer would be cool because that shows our territory, we own that phrase and for me, it's a bragging of my Pittsburghness.
    Has anyone ever typed in Yinzer on their search engines ? I suggest you do, an interesting read from Wikipedia.

  6. #26
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I know all that, I'm just having fun stirring the pot of gold and black. Actually , my wifes cousin grew up a Steeler fan and moved to Baltimore and is now a Ravens fan. The reason being, he loves going to the stadium games as a season ticket holder and to do that, he needed to change his fanship. I could never do that being a Steeler fan and a proud Steeler fan.
    I was thinking about naming our summer home/camp .........Camp Yinzer .....my wife and daughters are nt too happy with that. There's a ton of Philly people up there with camps and they always have a Steeler comment or a yinzer comment towards me. I thought Camp Yinzer would be cool because that shows our territory, we own that phrase and for me, it's a bragging of my Pittsburghness.
    Has anyone ever typed in Yinzer on their search engines ? I suggest you do, an interesting read from Wikipedia.
    I dunno about you fezzy, but to this day, I love shouting out the phrase "Kennywood's open". I thought it was so clever when I first heard it as a kid. If you say it in front of a group of people outside of Pittsburgh, it's hilarious that no one knows what you're saying, except for someone you learn is from Pittsburgh. Anyone who's head turns and smiles when they hear it is a dead give away where someone grew up.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    As another aside, I've looked up yinzer phrases and when I read through them the first time, I didn't realize how many phrases aren't widely used - sweeper, gumband, slippy, chipped ham, redd up, nebby, jag, buggy, pop, etc.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I dunno about you fezzy, but to this day, I love shouting out the phrase "Kennywood's open". I thought it was so clever when I first heard it as a kid. If you say it in front of a group of people outside of Pittsburgh, it's hilarious that no one knows what you're saying, except for someone you learn is from Pittsburgh. Anyone who's head turns and smiles when they hear it is a dead give away where someone grew up.
    You dont need to be from Pittsburgh to understand that...

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You dont need to be from Pittsburgh to understand that...

    That might be but, when you hear the phrase "Kennywoods open" you as a Pittsburgher feels, summer is here and the winter and cold is gone and it's fun time. I went to college in the state of California and those people take everything for granted. Nice weather all the time or at least to the point, their weather does not decide their lives or maps out their lives like it does with our four seasons.
    So I couldn't go to the beach everyday and enjoy it like it was summer but, you can still drive anyplace, walk anyplace in comfortable clothing, not all bulked up, not driving in the snow or ice. You can still spend your time outside and not be a prisoner to the nasty weather as it gets like here. Maybe I'm predjudice a bit because I work construction and the weather has so much to do with my highs and lows of earning a living and trying to remain healthy working in the cold.
    "Kennywood is open" puts all our crap weather, bulky clothing, sore throats, icy roads, staying in the house in the rear view mirror.

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, there are Pittsburghers and there are Yinzers.

    Pittsburghers are the more sophisticated, well-rounded, well-versed, well-traveled and well-behaved of the two groups. They have pride in the city for what it is and what it can be, and it goes beyond just the sports scene. They're good ambassadors, both with visitors to the city and when visiting other cities themselves. They know their ways around the city beyond the North Shore and the South Side, and they can even cross multiple rivers multiple times a day.

    As for Yinzers, their pride in the city is rooted almost entirely in the success of its sports teams. Ironically, some of them hate everything about Pittsburgh other than that. They take their love of sports and alcohol to an extreme, which isn't necessarily a good thing, and they tend not to be interested in much beyond either. The only time they might visit another city is if the Steelers have a road game there. They also tend to hate black people unless they play for one of the local sports teams.
    Ouch. Truth hurts.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •