Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cowboys fan base bigger than Steelers?!?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Nice way to avoid the crux of the matter, and just whistle past the graveyard. The whole story isn't that this team is 7-6 and still in the play off hunt; the whole story is this team, under this coach, has the habit of losing to the worst teams in the NFL, which is inexcusable, for any fans with a brain. Tomlin has shown that he is not capable of getting the team focused and giving a good effort to teams like the Browns, Titans, Raiders and San Diego. That is hardly small potatoes. And, this is not a one-year fluke worthy of ignoring as a fluke. Do I need to remind you of the 2009 season, where Tomlin's team lost 5 straight games to the worst teams, just like NOW, in the entire NFL, including to the Raiders, Chiefs and Browns. This is hardly a one-time fluke; can you grasp that? Can you process this information?

I'd say winning a couple Super Bowls makes that pretty excusable to me. I've never seen an NFL team win the Super Bowl year in and year out, so I'll take a couple bad regular season losses here and there in exchange for seeing my team on top of the pile every few years as well. You can feel free to quit though if you think it's really all that bad that you need to have a mid-life crisis over it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I live North of the Burgh and today at a Brighton Hot Dog Shop some guy was there with his grandson and the old guy was wearing a Patriot hat. The Grandfather was probably only 55 58 years old and the grandson was probably only 2 years old. The kid was too young for me to say something Steelerish to the grandfather. Talk about your freak of nature people because, how can you live in Pitsburgh and not be a Steeler fan ? I realize the Steeler fans that live around the world are normal but these Cheats/Raiders/Cowboy fans that live amongst us.........eek !
    I should have called Childrens Welfare or something !

Starter

User Info Menu

We've had the Terrible Towel in outer space, so Steelers fans are much more widespread. Bars and fan clubs world wide.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, OK Eddie. <pats him on head> Please research what a "fair weather" fan is, vs. a fan who just stops being a fan all together. They are not one in the same. Once you "figure this out" you can embarrass yourself less. Be well.

we'll just label you a QUITTER..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've always said that there are Pittsburgh fans and then there are Steelers fans. Pittsburgh fans tend to have a genuine fondness of the City and are strongly loyal to all of the professional and college teams in the area whether they stink or not. On the flip side I've met a number of people over the years who'll say that their favorite pro sports teams are, for example, the Steelers, Yankees, Celtics, and the Flyers. Which is fine but they tend to be the first ones to jump ship when things start going downhill with the Steelers. Just an observation but that's been my experiences over the years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers and Green Bay have the largest fan base around the country....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I've always said that there are Pittsburgh fans and then there are Steelers fans. Pittsburgh fans tend to have a genuine fondness of the City and are strongly loyal to all of the professional and college teams in the area whether they stink or not. On the flip side I've met a number of people over the years who'll say that their favorite pro sports teams are, for example, the Steelers, Yankees, Celtics, and the Flyers. Which is fine but they tend to be the first ones to jump ship when things start going downhill with the Steelers. Just an observation but that's been my experiences over the years.
    Or as I once read on another forum, "there are Steelers fans and then there are Yinzers".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Count me in the Pittsburgh fan category. From Carnegie to Warhol to Clemente to the rivers and the landscape. A day doesn't go by that I don't fondly remember something in Pittsburgh.

I enjoy all Steelers fans, but feel bad for those that don't have the shared experience of growing up and living in Pittsburgh. To me that feels like the biggest piece of being a Steelers fan. It enriches the experience. At the same time, I'm amazed by the dedication of the Steelers fan who have no ties to Pittsburgh. That's a cool addition to the experience.

I've gone to other sporting events outside of Pittsburgh. But I can't come anywhere close to enjoying the experience like I do a Steelers game. I love architecture and visiting all kinds of stadiums. But nothing compares to TRS, Heinz Field, PNC Park, the Igloo, etc for various reasons. There's some really good designs across the country. But it's never the same.

I think it all goes back to wanting to be a kid again with no cares in the world. That's what the Steelers do for me. It's the Pittsburgh nostalgia that's at the core.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    we'll just label you a QUITTER..
    why, did he not go for the 2pt. conversion either?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I live North of the Burgh and today at a Brighton Hot Dog Shop some guy was there with his grandson and the old guy was wearing a Patriot hat. The Grandfather was probably only 55 58 years old and the grandson was probably only 2 years old. The kid was too young for me to say something Steelerish to the grandfather. Talk about your freak of nature people because, how can you live in Pitsburgh and not be a Steeler fan ? I realize the Steeler fans that live around the world are normal but these Cheats/Raiders/Cowboy fans that live amongst us.........eek !
    I should have called Childrens Welfare or something !
    Maybe they moved to the Pittsburgh area from New England. This isn't the 1980's anymore, when everybody was moving out and nobody was moving in. More people have begun to move to Pittsburgh from other cities in the last 10 years, and you can expect that to accelerate considering the local economy is healthier than it is anywhere else except the Great Plains and the Washington DC area. Get used to seeing an increasing number of fans of non-local sports teams in the area. If Pittsburghers don't have to change their sports allegiances when they move to other cities, then people from other cities don't to change their sports allegiances when they move to Pittsburgh. Besides, a little variety makes things more interesting.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 12-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.