Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DeCastro probably a go

Starter

User Info Menu

DeCastro probably a go

By [EMAIL="arobinson@tribweb.com?subject=RE:%20Steeler s%20notebook:%20With%20Colon%20out,%20DeCastro%20s et%20to%20start%20story%20on%20TribLIVE.com"]Alan Robinson[/EMAIL]

Published: Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 1:30 p.m.
    Updated 5 hours ago

First-round draft pick David DeCastro might be ready to make his first NFL start.
    With left guard Willie Colon (knee) out for at least a couple of weeks following knee surgery Monday, DeCastro will work with the starters. Ramon Foster would shift to left guard, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey would stay at his preferred position.
    DeCastro has played only on special teams.
    “If we like what we see, he may have an opportunity to play,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Updated: December 11, 2012, 4:23 PM ET

Associated Press

Left guard [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9717/willie-colon"]Willie Colon[/URL] had surgery on his left knee on Monday and could be out for the season. Tomlin said Tuesday that DeCastro will be worked in at right guard during practice this week and could start Sunday when the Steelers (7-6) play at Dallas (7-6).

After quickly earning his way onto the first team, DeCastro sustained a torn MCL during the Steelers' third preseason game and did not return to practice until mid-November. He was in uniform the past two games but only used on special teams.

"We're ready to take the next step," Tomlin said. "Potentially, this week -- depending on how that preparation looks."

Should DeCastro prove ready, [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12883/ramon-foster"]Ramon Foster[/URL] would move over to left guard, allowing All-Pro center [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13250/maurkice-pouncey"]Maurkice Pouncey[/URL] to stay at his given position.

In past years, an injury such as the one DeCastro sustained Aug. 25 in Buffalo might have meant a lost rookie season. But with modified injured reserve rules implemented this season, DeCastro was placed on an IR list that allowed him to come back after eight weeks. He did not, however, immediately regain the starting job he won early in camp. The Steelers instead chose to ease him into NFL life.

"With a guy like him, it's more than health because he doesn't have a lot of playing background," Tomlin said. "So although he's been healthy, practice has been good for him, the technique growth and development has been good for him, just simply playing professional football has been good for him. So although he's been healthy, we still thought he had room for growth from an overall readiness standpoint."

Tomlin did not guarantee DeCastro would start Sunday but did make reference to Foster's familiarity with left guard and the preference to return Pouncey to his most comfortable position.

---I was reluctant to post this info since it is a bit early. But since many had no idea how really ready to play DeCastro is I did anyway. Of course Wednesday will be a hard workout and if all goes well my guess is we see DeCastro Sunday.

Legend

User Info Menu

If it keeps Legursky out of the line up how could they possibly not do it. He was blown up Sunday more times than I could count. All I saw was "64" being pushed backwards.

It appears that we need to still be looking for OL in the upcoming draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

All I can say is, I hope he's fully healed. If we ruin his career by messing up his knee due to bringing him back too soon, all for the sake of trying to help a mediocre team limp into the playoffs, what a waste IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    It appears that we need to still be looking for OL in the upcoming draft.
    The way we go through OL, we'd better get a tackle, guard and a center. I have a bad feeling about Gilbert Grape, Starks ain't getting any younger, and Colon is about to blow.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Double D plays like he looked in college, our running game is ready to take off. Rainey running left behind a pulling Double D could be a lot like watching FWP XL TD runs over and over and over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm just glad that we might be able to see this guy play. He was so hyped coming out of the draft and it looked like he might have been lost for the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    All I can say is, I hope he's fully healed. If we ruin his career by messing up his knee due to bringing him back too soon, all for the sake of trying to help a mediocre team limp into the playoffs, what a waste IMO.

The way we go through OL, we'd better get a tackle, guard and a center. I have a bad feeling about Gilbert Grape, Starks ain't getting any younger, and Colon is about to blow.
    Until someone can take Starks' job away from him he is the best option we have at LT and I hope we keep him.

Colon will be a cap casualty in all probability unless he would add a big "dead money" hit against the cap. IIRC he just renegotiated his contract before the season to clear cap space so the "dead money" may be an issue.

There are some outstanding Guards that will likely be available when we pick in Round 1. Do you get another and build the most dominant interior OL in the NFL with DeCasto-Pouncey-new #1?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Keep Marcus Gilbert away from this man!
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Keep Marcus Gilbert away from this man!
    Mendenhall was declared inactive, and the Steelers suspended him when he did not show up on gameday.

Gilbert was put on injured reserve, and the Steelers should suspend him if his DOES show up on gameday.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

The docs are not going to approve him coming back before he is ready.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Until someone can take Starks' job away from him he is the best option we have at LT and I hope we keep him.

Colon will be a cap casualty in all probability unless he would add a big "dead money" hit against the cap. IIRC he just renegotiated his contract before the season to clear cap space so the "dead money" may be an issue.

There are some outstanding Guards that will likely be available when we pick in Round 1. Do you get another and build the most dominant interior OL in the NFL with DeCasto-Pouncey-new #1?
    Completely agree on Starks. As for Colon, there is a significant dead money issue - I think he would count about $6 million against the cap if cut. Releasing him would only save about $1 million, and when you factor in the cost of a replacement, there is barely any savings at all. I think Colon will return, hopefully in better shape.

The idea of another OG is intriguing, but I think other needs (playmaker at WR if Wallace leaves, OLB, ILB, S, RB) will trump OG in the draft.