Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall Suspended

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Wow....how did we get here in this conversation??

Mendenhall should not be suspended? He was unjustly punished for fumbling so he should stay home?

This is the NFL, and in being a professional football player there are certain realities in place.

#1 - The coach's decision is gospel. If you want to change his mind then do so with your actions on the field.

#2 - Team comes first

#3 - Violation must result in a harsh punishment

By deciding to not attend the game he made a bold statement. He is severing himself from the team and that cannot be accepted. Whether or not we think that he should have dressed is moot at this point. attendance is not optional. You show up, smile, and await the coaching decision the next week. Anything else is unacceptable.
    And the fact that this may have escaped RM's perceptions is a loud noise in itself. Either he didn't realize it, or didn't care - both are very bad signs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Dan could run the team if he really wanted to, but obviously he doesn't. I know of a Chair/CEO of a bigger company in PA than the Steelers and he was well into his 80's before he sold the company. Just saying- it could be done.

Anyway- I personally never cared for Art II as he comes across negatively at times. I just prefer Dan the Man over Artie II, but age catches up. Maybe whoever is next in line after Artie II will be a better owner.....
    It is not the norm for an 80-plus year old to run large companies. Have you seen Dan lately? Have you seen him at the Super Bowl ceremonies, where trying to hold the Lombardi Trophy nearly killed him? I prefer Art 2. He makes the changes that need made, as opposed to Dan who's motto was "Don't rock the boat" to too high of an extreme, as you would expect from an 80-year-old. I appreciate Dan's service over the years, but it was long overdue for him to step down when he did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    And the fact that this may have escaped RM's perceptions is a loud noise in itself. Either he didn't realize it, or didn't care - both are very bad signs.
    Not the perception that you want out in the market as you enter free agency. At the very least he should have just followed the program and then left in the off season to someone who still believes that he could succeed in this league. Nobody wants an underachieving troublemaker.

Legend

User Info Menu

It is not the norm for an 80-plus year old to run large companies. Have you seen Dan lately? Have you seen him at the Super Bowl ceremonies, where trying to hold the Lombardi Trophy nearly killed him? I prefer Art 2. He makes the changes that need made, as opposed to Dan who's motto was "Don't rock the boat" to too high of an extreme, as you would expect from an 80-year-old. I appreciate Dan's service over the years, but it was long overdue for him to step down when he did.
    You mean like 81 year old Warren Buffet at Berkshire Hathaway?

An NFL team is not a normal large company and especially the Steelers which is more like a family business.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "You kids there...get off my lawn!" - Art II
    He says this every year after the 4 high school football championship games at Heinz on Thanksgiving weekend, after which the field needs to be re-sodded.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And to think all of those who mocked me in the off season for me saying Dwyer would be the better NFL back if he got a shot. I guess it's _really_ hard to be the better back when you don't even dress. Lloydroid 1, the mockers 0.

I'm a Dwyer fan. I was thrilled when we drafted him. But, he still hasn't proven much in my book. After his two 100 yard games this season, Redman showed up and looked even better against the Giants. That game against the Giants (on a bumb wheel no less) was the best performance by a Steelers running back this season. Since then, all the Steelers backs have looked very average. At this point, I like Dwyer in our running back stable, but he has not proven that he is a legitimate #1 running back.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I'm a Dwyer fan. I was thrilled when we drafted him. But, he still hasn't proven much in my book. After his two 100 yard games this season, Redman showed up and looked even better against the Giants. That game against the Giants (on a bumb wheel no less) was the best performance by a Steelers running back this season. Since then, all the Steelers backs have looked very average. At this point, I like Dwyer in our running back stable, but he has not proven that he is a legitimate #1 running back.
    I am of a similar mind. I really liked Dwyer but as you say, let's see some consistency. We see flashes here and there but he needs to bring it up a level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Not the perception that you want out in the market as you enter free agency. At the very least he should have just followed the program and then left in the off season to someone who still believes that he could succeed in this league. Nobody wants an underachieving troublemaker.
    I just can't imagine what was going through his noggin when he decided to not show. You know the saying, "Feed your ego or feed your family." He could have just went through the motions and landed a decent new contract some where. But, damn, this can't be helping things along those lines.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Need to stop stereotyping people. An 80+ year old can't handle a big company? That's just rediculous statment on your part.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean like 81 year old Warren Buffet at Berkshire Hathaway?

An NFL team is not a normal large company and especially the Steelers which is more like a family business.
    Again, is Buffet the norm or the exception? And I doubt he is doing much day to day CEO stuff at this point, probably takes naps in the middle of the day. Why not? And I disagree: Running an NFL team still requires ONE MAIN DECISION MAKER who has to make the final call on all major issues. You can't run an organization successfully any other way. The CEO should LISTEN to all opinions from his trusted board (family members) but still it is up to ONE PERSON to make the final, large decisions, such as what direction to go in personnel, coaches, policies, etc. If that person has a "let's not make any waves, let's keep everything the same" when the situation is demanding to make changes, it will hurt the chances of success. Let's say, for example, that you are CEO of McDonald's. And your sales are plummeting because more and more consumers are weary of the impact of fast food. Let's say your sales drop 30% but your attitude is, "Let's keep things as they are and not rock the boat." Well, by not adding some healthy food choices, you are allowing the company to lose too much $. The exact same could be said for managing an NFL team. Dan never wanted to make changes, to a fault. It wasn't until Art 2 stepped in and proclaimed, "I think coach Cowher knows it's time to win a Super Bowl" instead of the "Mr. Nicey Nice" approach from Dan that lit a fire in this team's butt and got them over the top. If they only had the Sr. Citizen approach of keeping everything the same for the sake of not making any waves, they would not have won a ring in 2005. As a matter of fact, it Art 2 didn't get involved in the draft (as Dan was not), we would have ended up with an OT instead of Big Ben. Just think of the ramifications of that. That genius Cowher wanted the OT that went to Philly. Had Art not got involved, Ben would be on another team right now. But, naaaaaa, we would have been fine with the 80-year-old as CEO.