Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to give Ike some love??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is it time to give Ike some love??

to be honest, I never understood why some have it out for Ike. I've always thought he is one of the best cover guys in the league and if it wasn't for his hands of stone he'd be a perennial pro-bowler every year. game in and game out he mans up against the other teams best guy. yeah, sometimes he gets beat - pretty spectacularly too, but is there a more lonely position on the field than a CB in one on one coverage? Most times other teams don't even go his way and you don't hear his name often throughout the game. How many times yesterday did we hear 'brown on the coverage'? maybe the mark of an elite CB is the fact the other teams avoid him as much as possible?

He's been durable, seems to be a good team guy, hasn't grumbled about money

and is clearly noticeable when he's gone.

can we give some props to #24???
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

no... we lost to bad teams with Ike... please stop acting like Ike can cover 4 guys every play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I always thought Ike was decent to very good. Yes he's good but when he's bad..........ugh. Ike's job or any corners job could be a lot easier if they would just intercept the ball more often. I'm not saying he has to be the next Deon Sanders but, how about catching the ones that land right in your hands Ike.

He'll never be Gods gift to football but, I missed him this Sunday but then again, I'm not sure what Ike would have shown up anyway.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think many take Ike's play for granted. How often do the Steelers worry about the other team's #1 WR when Ike is playing. We barely discuss it cause more often than not, Ike is up to the task. Plus this is the first significant injury since he has started.
    Ike is the Aaron Smith of the secondary. His name is not called alot, but his presence is definitely felt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

IKE has had some struggles but we aren't going anywhere w/out him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike is probably the best corner the Steelers have had since Rod Woodson. He occasionally gets into a funk, but he is generally solid and does good work going against the opponent's #1 on a weekly basis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ike is probably the best corner the Steelers have had since Rod Woodson. He occasionally gets into a funk, but he is generally solid and does good work going against the opponent's #1 on a weekly basis.
    This.

They so missed Ike against the Chargers. But even worse, #28 and #31 flat out sucked on Sunday.

Legend

User Info Menu

We all give Ike props for being a great athlete and a tackler. But he's almost as bad a Wally when the ball's in the air. If I played against the Steelers, I'd go after Ike all day. Odds are, he won't ever intercept the ball and he'll have his hands on the WR and you might get some PI calls on him.

It's amazing to me teams haven't figured this out. He's usually in good position and physical, but he's never gonna be a threat to create a turnover. So why not go after him.

See Ten game for Ike at his worst. Or when he wasn't able to cover Javon Walker several years back. Teams don't attack Ike, but when they do, they sometimes have success.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with you 100% on this Star.

Ike plays the toughest position in the game. At no position are you torched so badly for not doing your job on a play. A bad play against a corner results in an easy 6, where everyone can see you trailing the play hopelessly, and it appears on every highlight show that week.

Add that to the fact that Ike mans up against the #1 guy on the other side at least 50% of his plays. He faces the 1,500 yard receivers and often holds them well below their season average. Then next week he faces another, then another. On top of that, he is probably one of the top run support CBs in the league. He does that week in and week out.....but then he gives up a long completion and he sucks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike doesn't suck... but you guys act like Ike plays covers 3 guys every play. We lose with Ike... Ike wasn't the difference. We stunk it up and Rivers took advantage of the flats that are open all the damn time when Lebeau doesn't adjust the D.