Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to give Ike some love??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With my above statement I should have said, I'm still glad we have Ike.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The fact that our #1 CB can't pick off a pass to save his life hurts this team; he is not the worst but if you look at the other teams #1 CB, they tend to pick off at least a few freaking balls. The Steelers have a whopping 7 picks all year. Only one team in the entire NFL has less, with 6. The Bears have 21. 12 teams have double or more picks than do the Steelers. If they were even average at picking it off, we'd have at least 2 more wins, at least. The fact that our very best CB has bricks for hands isn't helping things.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ike is one of the best in the NFL in man. In zone he kinda sucks. And I'm curious whose call it is when CB's give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 2 or 3. The CB's call or DL's?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone is suggesting Ike is superhuman and can cover 3 at a time - but to those who think he's either average or flat out sucks, I simply disagree. I think he has been a very solid CB for us for several years. I think we're a better team with him on the field.

doesn't need to be more complicated than that.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Ike is one of the best in the NFL in man. In zone he kinda sucks. And I'm curious whose call it is when CB's give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 2 or 3. The CB's call or DL's?
    LeBeau. It's his claim to fame. "The LeBeau cushion"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who was it that was getting torched earlier this season? Who was grabbing and clutching like every other play because he was getting beat with regularity? Who was it that was covering Demaryius Thomas the last game of 2011?

Oh yeah, Ike is real good.

Why you guys accept mediocrity is beyond me. Cracks me up how emotionally attached some get to the point they just can't see the forest through the trees.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Who was it that was getting torched earlier this season? Who was grabbing and clutching like every other play because he was getting beat with regularity? Who was it that was covering Demaryius Thomas the last game of 2011?

Why you guys accept mediocrity is beyond me. Cracks me up how emotionally attached some get to the point they just can't see the forest through the trees.
    Yup, some fans just can't view their team/players objectively. Just can't do it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yup, some fans just can't view their team/players objectively. Just can't do it.
    He has had some real bad games, but that might be 2 or 3 a season....probably as many as Ben has per season. Is Ben mediocre?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    He has had some real bad games, but that might be 2 or 3 a season....probably as many as Ben has per season. Is Ben mediocre?
    That is not a good comparison. Ben makes big plays. Ben makes splash plays. Ike does neither. Ben is responsible for putting up the majority of the points the Steelers score. Ike never puts up points on the board.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

So based on his play of a few games earlier this season, the other 130 games of his career don't count? Plain silly. All athletes go through slumps. Ike's rookie season he was ranked #2 in the NFL for passes defensed. Several seasons he was in the top 10 CBs for passes defensed. Most of his career he has been in the top quartile or better. That is not the definition of 'mediocrity' in my book.

Ike isn't an interception machine but he defends the other team's best player exceptionally well. D. Thomas might be the only WR I can think of that has given him fits whenever he has played him.