Thread: Was anyone at the game?

Starter

User Info Menu

Was anyone at the game?

Just wondering if the Ike factor was really in effect and the Steel played soft to protect our DB's

Really thought that they would take care of business but the head scratcher for me is how the heck did guys off the street gel as a unit to pickup those exotic blitzes?

"If we're in there with three new starting offensive linemen, guys that I haven't met yet, and we're playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh, it will be a challenge," Turner said.

Have faith Nation. Its a strange season where a good run could win it all. The Steel have been like a box of chocolates this year along with the rest of the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    Just wondering if the Ike factor was really in effect and the Steel played soft to protect our DB's

Really thought that they would take care of business but the head scratcher for me is how the heck did guys off the street gel as a unit to pickup those exotic blitzes?

"If we're in there with three new starting offensive linemen, guys that I haven't met yet, and we're playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh, it will be a challenge," Turner said.

Have faith Nation. Its a strange season where a good run could win it all. The Steel have been like a box of chocolates this year along with the rest of the league.
    I don't know if its the Ike factor, but there is a reason (which is difficult for many to believe) that some players are starters and others are the backups. Each time that one of the main cogs of the Steeler team gets injured and misses starts it takes the Steelers backups time to get their feet wet. When Harrison was out the run defense suffered until everyone adjusted to life without James when Woodley is out the pass rush suffers, when Troy was initially out the pass defense was porous, when Ben was out the offense struggled, etc. Steeler fans are so used to players stepping into starting roles and contributing that when it doesn't happen we all wonder what in the world is going on.

Ben was rusty today (he was out for three weeks), I expect he'll be sharp against Dallas this weekend and the Steelers will look very good again provided no one else gets injured. Starting players are starting players for a reason and when a team is missing them the team suffers. The secondary will adjust to life without Ike and play much better this upcoming weekend. That's my story (I'm an optimist) and I'm sticking to it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we can call out some of those fans. Gotta blame someone, right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ford Fixer was there. Should we all blame him?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Rivers was spooked from the start. I've never seen bigger puss moves from an NFL QB by automatically spiking the ball at his receivers' feet in the flat whenever anyone got within 15 yards of him. LeBeau smelled blood in the water and started bringing the house. However, when Troy and Deebo got overanxious (turning a failed 3rd and 10 conversion into a first down with back-to-back offsides calls), then he seemed to call the dogs off, and started rushing just 3 (and even o-linemen off the street can typically handle 3 rushers when you can doubleteam all 3 of them).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Rivers was spooked from the start. I've never seen bigger puss moves from an NFL QB by automatically spiking the ball at his receivers' feet in the flat whenever anyone got within 15 yards of him. LeBeau smelled blood in the water and started bringing the house. However, when Troy and Deebo got overanxious (turning a failed 3rd and 10 conversion into a first down with back-to-back offsides calls), then he seemed to call the dogs off, and started rushing just 3 (and even o-linemen off the street can typically handle 3 rushers when you can doubleteam all 3 of them).
    Had this exact conversation at the Steelers bar yesterday. Couldn't believe how lame his first throw away was. He was petrified and threw it away underhand. And then he did it a few more times early on. Never seen anything like it. I thought - he's already packed it in. Oh how wrong I was.....

Legend

User Info Menu

ehhh.... I see plenty of QB's do that...

I'm not a Rivers fan but I didn't see anything wrong with saving himself from punishment. Rivers has felt the pain of our D more than a few times. Why take a chance at getting rocked early instead of getting his OC to adjust. It worked...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I couldn't believe how puss Rivers was; I have never seen a QB so content with throwing the ball into the ground at any hint of pressure. And, hard to believe that we LOST to a QB playing that scared. That is pathetic.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ehhh.... I see plenty of QB's do that...

I'm not a Rivers fan but I didn't see anything wrong with saving himself from punishment. Rivers has felt the pain of our D more than a few times. Why take a chance at getting rocked early instead of getting his OC to adjust. It worked...
    Because it was the DEGREE to how quickly he gave up on plays that was unusual. Sure, save yourself and live for another play when it's appropriate. But there were plays where he gave up so fast when he must have had other possible targets to look at, and he didn't bother on so many plays.