Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dee Milliner CB Alabama

Administrator

User Info Menu

In the first round, I just don't see a d-line, o-line, or CB being picked.

You have Ike, Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis.

If Ike is let go (unlikely) and Lewis is resigned (likely) then Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis are the starters

If Ike stays and Lewis stays then they will be the starters again.

If Ike stays and Lewis goes then Ike and Allen are the starters.

If we were to go with a DB in the first round, I'd prefer it be a safety. We need depth and a future starter at safety. He'll be a backup S this year if Clark and Polamalu can stay healthy but realistically 1 of those 2 will be hurt during the season at some time. If Clark/Polamalu do stay healthy, a 1st round safety will see significant playing time in subpackages and obviously special teams... that's almost as good as starting.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If someone offers Keenan $10mil a season as some have projected, I cant see the Steelers matching that. We might be back to having a dire need for a CB all of a sudden.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    If someone offers Keenan $10mil a season as some have projected, I cant see the Steelers matching that. We might be back to having a dire need for a CB all of a sudden.
    I don't think he'll get that but who knows...

If push came to shove, I'd let Ike walk to keep Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think we lose lewis once he hits the market.it would be nice if brown could actually help.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I want the Steelers to keep Ike for next season and sign Lewis to a long-term deal.

I would NOT keep Ike if it was at the expense of losing Lewis. The bottom line is that Ike is a "now" player and is not in the Steelers future plans. It's not because he's not good right now... it's because of his age. Age, especially at the CB position will greatly impact level of play.

Lewis on the other hand has developed into starter material and age is on his side. We've spent years developing Lewis and he finally had his breakout season thus far. Why would the Steelers develop their young talent just to let another team take him away. If they want to be competetive, they can't let this stuff happen. Of anything, you keep Lewis and let Ike walk. That isn't even a difficult position. Historically, the Steelers have been good at knowing when to move on from older players in favor of a younger player. This fits the same mold.

The future CB starters is likely Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis. There will probably be another CB (draft pick) in the mix but it won't be a 1st rounder if Lewis is resigned. Ike is not the future and the Steelers & fans should just accept that. If Ike is kept and Lewis walks, I feel the Steelers are making a huge mistake and jeopardizing the team's success now and in the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we lose Lewis to free agency, then Ike and Cortez will be our starters going into next season. But how long does Ike have left, realistically (particularly when you compare his age with his cap number)? Without Lewis, we would need a starting CB of the future (since I don't see much in Curtis Brown or Josh Victorian at this point). Unfortunately, it appears that Milliner is far out of our reach (the consensus top CB in the draft always goes in the top half of round 1). The only other CB who provides first round value would be Banks from Mississippi State. Day 2 possibilities include Xavier Rhodes, David Amerson, Desmond Trufant, etc. Hopefully we are able to retain Lewis so this won't be an issue, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If Ike is kept and Lewis walks, I feel the Steelers are making a huge mistake and jeopardizing the team's success now and in the future.
    I'm a big fan of Ike's, but
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.