Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The good news...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    For those of us that don't see thew sky falling and are simply trying to lay out the scenarios by which the Steelers can get into the playoffs its what we do. I'm with legend on this one, the Steelers can lose to the Cowboys, beat the Bengals and Browns and make the playoffs (I know these are not guarantees, but it is a way into the playoffs.). All legend is saying is that the loss to the Chargers still left the Steelers controlling their own destiny and should they lose in Dallas they would still be able claim a spot in the playoffs.

Getting to the playoffs is the goal and the Steelers are still in position to do so and they control whether they make it or not. I would certainly prefer a win this week, but it doesn't end the season if they don't win. Actually, I would like for the Steelers to win, the Ravens, Bengals and Jets to lose this weekend and that would really put them in a good place. If it doesn't happen, its not the end of the season.

I'm with Legend, the possibilities are many, including controlling their own destiny.

Pappy
    Pappy--not sure that because some of us admit that we are not playing good football that equates to a "sky is falling attitude." We have lost two out of the last three weeks to inferior teams. I think questioning whether we can even make the play offs is just being realistic. We are not a very good football team right now, the last second win in Baltimore notwithstanding. If not for a really dumb roughing the passer call that put us into field goal range, that could have very easily been a loss too. But that was a last minute, come from behind win not exactly a show of our capabilities or a validation of our ability to be successful moving forward.

I think knowledgeable, or clueless, fans being skeptical of our ability to do anything in the play offs is justified and not panic.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Pappy--not sure that because some of us admit that we are not playing good football that equates to a "sky is falling attitude." We have lost two out of the last three weeks to inferior teams. I think questioning whether we can even make the play offs is just being realistic. We are not a very good football team right now, the last second win in Baltimore notwithstanding. If not for a really dumb roughing the passer call that put us into field goal range, that could have very easily been a loss too. But that was a last minute, come from behind win not exactly a show of our capabilities or a validation of our ability to be successful moving forward.

I think knowledgeable, or clueless, fans being skeptical of our ability to do anything in the play offs is justified and not panic.
    I don't think they're playing good football and yesterday's loss was terrible, in particular since they would have distanced themselves from Cincy and gained on Baltimore. I'm one that just doesn't start blaming Tomlin, Colon, Wallace, etc for every little thing that went wrong and I'm looking for all the possible scenarios for getting into the playoffs and losing to the boys and winning the last two is one of them (I don't think the Jets will win out). All I'm saying is that what's done is done and I'm looking forward to Sunday in Dallas. Hopefully, Ben shook the rust off and will be able to get the offense going from start to finish (which relieves the defense).

I'm optimistic, Ben should be better this week, Polamalu didn't get injured, Harrison is one the field, Clark is playing, lets hope DeCastro is capable and play the game and see what happens. Romo reminds me of Flacco, he'll make a mistake if you let him. The Steelers should be able to win this game and hopefully, they will.

I recognize yesterday wasn't pretty, but the goal is the playoffs and then all bets are off. Whoever is healthiest and playing well will be playing in February.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Sky isnt falling, but I'm a realist.
    We have been absolutely average all year long.
    We have looked absolutely horrendous at times this year.
    I can't fault people for looking ahead to the playoffs.
    I don't see it.
    Do I want them to make the playoffs?
    Hell yes.
    1 and done again and what does that get us?
    We have 3 games left.
    We need to take them 1 at a time.
    This team has no business looking past the Cowboys and neither should it's fans.
    (sorry, its a forum and everyone always cant agree or we'd have no posts...LOL)

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers control their own fate

Posted by Teresa Varley on December 13, 2012

With just three games remaining the Steelers find themselves controlling their own fate as far as the postseason goes, with this Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys the first step.

If the Steelers win out, they would secure a wild card playoff spot and still could win the AFC North division, depending on how the Baltimore Ravens finish out the season.

“These next few games we are in control of the rest of our journey,” said running back Jonathan Dwyer. “It’s a big emphasis for us to get this win, not just because of the situation, but because it’s the next game.

“I think there is a sense of urgency just because you want to win. We are still the same guys, the atmosphere is the same. But it’s December football. We know how important that is. You can tell from all of the guys. Coach (Mike) Tomlin doesn’t have to say anything. It just what it is.”

When December football rolls around, for teams in the playoff race, things escalate. The intensity picks up with more on the line and like Dwyer said, there is no need to preach the importance of games, especially with a veteran team that has been to the playoffs.

“December is the most important month of the season,” said receiver Plaxico Burress. “You want to be coming together and building a stretch run to get into the playoffs. You want to gather that confidence. We wanted to go out and win that game last week, but right now is a time we really want to be on the rise.

“We have a tough game in Dallas this weekend and then two home games. It’s a great opportunity for us to finish strong. As Coach Tomlin says the eventual world champion usually isn’t losing any more games at this point of the season. Guys understand the sense of urgency to go out and win this game and get on a run. It’s all about who gets hot this time of year. I have seen some crazy things happen and we definitely have the talent to do it. We just need to focus and make it happen.”

Houston, New England and Denver have already clinched playoff spots, but three spots remain in the AFC with Baltimore, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York and the Steelers leading the way for those last spots.

“We need to win every game,” said receiver Mike Wallace. “We don’t have time to lose a game and look around. When you look at the reality of things and the stretch, there are teams with the same or better record than us so we have to continue to handle what we can. As long as we handle our business, you don’t have to worry about what other teams do.”

The Steelers remaining schedule includes the Cowboys this week on the road, and then home games against AFC North rivals Cincinnati and Cleveland. If the Steelers are going to make the playoffs, getting hot now is a must.

“At this point of the season you have to start feeling it, get that second wind,” said Burress. “Everyone is looking to make it to the playoffs. Everyone is eyeing that trophy. Everyone is chasing it. Games are tougher now because teams know how critical they are.

“We just have to focus on us. If we go and win out, we don’t have anything to worry about and we don’t have to look over our shoulder. If we finish out strong we can write our own story.”

[URL]http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/13/steelers-control-their-own-destiny/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Also...don't look now, but the Jets are only one game back and have the head-to-head win over the Steelers. They also finish the season with the Titans, Chargers, and Bills and could conceivable win all three of those games.
    True, the Jets are only one game back now, but they do not have a head-to-head win over us. We beat the Jets 27-10 back in week 2. Therefore, we hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just curious but at what point do the Steelers become the team that over achieved a game or two this year, but are really an average team? Do these final 3 games tip the scales?