Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think RB will be high on the draft list this year...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Oh crap. Good buy Mendy. NFL network just said he is suspended for 1 game for conduct! No way the coaches will want him back I think.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wonder what he said on twitter now?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Adrian Peterson would have a tough time getting 50 yards behind the OL today. Just too many players out. IMO the OL needs a real look in the draft early...still. Colon may be a cap casualty. Foster will likely be gone. Gilbert and Adams still have learning to do and neither is ready to replace Starks.

If we get a RB it will be in the mid-rounds. A whole bunch hinges on Dwyer staying focused in the off season and coming back in the best shape of his life. He is the only RB other than Mendy who rates to be considered a real #1. However, him coming back in top shape is a whole lot of hope and prayer which is why I would not be surprised to see Mendenhall back at a discount.
    No he wouldn't. AP runs with ferocity. Ours not so much. He hits a hole so hard and decisive. He's a rare player. One that can play on any team

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here are some backs to consider, if we aren't going to sell the farm and use a first round on one.

Montee Bell, WI. 5-11, 215. He is a natural who could have a huge NFL career.

Lacy, AB. 5-10, 220. This guy is a beast. Maybe not quite as over all talented as Trent Richardson, but he is up there. He is just a truck. Plays in monster tough SEC. He could look super in the black and gold.

Le'Veon Bell, MSU, 6-2, 244. A BIG back. He could carry the rock and take defenders for a ride, plus will be there in later rounds. Leads the nation in carries so he won't pull a Dwyer and need to come off the field.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I hope not. I'm not a big believer selecting a RB very high in the draft. A good o-line can make an average RB look great.

I think our o-line has potential when healthy. Starks/Gilbert/Adams, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert/Adams.

I want to see OLB, ILB and Safety be top priorities of this draft.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I hope not. I'm not a big believer selecting a RB very high in the draft. A good o-line can make an average RB look great.

I think our o-line has potential when healthy. Starks/Gilbert/Adams, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert/Adams.

I want to see OLB, ILB and Safety be top priorities of this draft.
    I think you have the positions right. Safeties in this draft are deep so you won't need to use a #1. Unless it is Manti Te'o you won't use a #1 on an ILB. That leave OLB.

However, if a potential great OT is there I still think the jury is out on Gilbert and Adams and you ahve to consider that. I would also not hesitate to use a #1 on the TE Ertz from Stanford. Would add a whole new dimension to the offense and Heath isn't going to roll forever.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would look for a RB in round 3 or 4

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not sure how the college talent at RB looks yet, but my preference at this point is for the Steelers to add a #1 type WR (if Wallace leaves), a playmaker in the secondary, and depth at OLB and OT, in no particular order.

If there is a Doug Martin or David Wilson type at the end of round 1 - an explosive runner to mix with the plodders - then I think the Steelers have to consider it, but I'd prefer if they could address RB in the middle rounds.
    There were quite a few here that really liked Doug Martin a lot. I was trying to think of his name and your post reminded me of it. I thought he might have been a sleeper but I just saw that Tampa Bay drafted him in Rd 1 pick 31.

The reason I mention this is in recent weeks I have seen some highlight shows and Tampa Bay was in there quite often and their running back was often the reason. This caught my eye. But I really thought nothing of it.

Then also in recent weeks I was looking at some offensive stats to try and get some idea where the Steelers are ranked and was startled to see that Tampa Bay was in a much higher spot than I usually ever see them. Actually, what I am saying is I never ever usually see them. I go down the list and stop at the Steelers and no where in the past was TB ever catching my eye. They are probably there somewhere but I never ever notice their name.

Maybe having a truly productive RB has something to do with it. IDK. Anyway take a look at these overall Offensive rankings of them over the past years and draw your own conclusion.

-------TB---PIT

2011 21 12

2010 19 14

2009 28 07

2005 23 15

2001 26 03

2012 14 19

What caught my eye was usually they are down there in the bottom group with the likes of the Jacksonvilles, the Browns, the Chiefs, and well this year the Steelers. You know teams like that. But surprisingly this year they are pretty high for them overall and in a couple other categories much higher.

Not sure but maybe that RB has something to do with it.

Starter

User Info Menu

You may be wondering. Why is anyone comparing TS to TB, which is generally perceived as a nothing football team. I now remember.

When I was looking up some stats I found a site that broke down scoring by quarters. TB was ranked pretty high in the 1st Q. Then when I looked at the overall scoring this came up.

Tampa Bay ranked #5 in scoring. 27.2 ppg TS are ranked #21 scoring 21.4 ppg

Tampa Bay ranked #10 in rushing average per play at 4.4

Pittsburgh ranked #24 in rushing average per play at 3.8

What puzzles me is why is everyone so enamored with this Pit Offense?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    You may be wondering. Why is anyone comparing TS to TB, which is generally perceived as a nothing football team. I now remember.

When I was looking up some stats I found a site that broke down scoring by quarters. TB was ranked pretty high in the 1st Q. Then when I looked at the overall scoring this came up.

Tampa Bay ranked #5 in scoring. 27.2 ppg TS are ranked #21 scoring 21.4 ppg

Tampa Bay ranked #10 in rushing average per play at 4.4

Pittsburgh ranked #24 in rushing average per play at 3.8

What puzzles me is why is everyone so enamored with this Pit Offense?
    Because the Steelers are in the playoff hunt with backup RBs carrying the load. The offense would be that much more effective with a stud RB.