Thread: The Steelers Defense vs NE

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers Defense vs NE

Do you think they have what it will take to defend Brady & Co in the playoffs? Their O is really starting to heat up and the defense has become at least respectable. Can the Steelers defense put the beatdown on NE if we meet up? I actually think the Steelers D matches up really well with that D. But we absolutely need Troy in the game to help cover the TE. Their WRs don't scare me at all. And the run game is OK, but not special.

Legend

User Info Menu

let's make sure we get that far first...

and yes, we can beat the Patriots* if and when we meet them in the playoffs.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think our O is gonna need to start assisting before we get to that point. The more we can force Brady to have to take shots downfield, the better.

Administrator

User Info Menu

With a healthy secondary especially, we match up good against NE.

Troy covers Hernandez. Cortez Allen covers Gronk. Ike covers Welker. These are all good matchups IMO.

Timmons will be a rover and might lineup across from a TE or WR to hold them at the LOS. That will leave Woodley and Harrison terrorizing Brady.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hmm, before we go there, we might want to consider if we can beat Denver in Denver, sans Clark, or Houston or Balt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't Gronk out for the year? I'm not worried about our D... its our O vs their D that will decide the outcome.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Isn't Gronk out for the year? I'm not worried about our D... its our O vs their D that will decide the outcome.
    Gronk is down for a while. He broke his forearm. Although I guess it's possible he'll be back for the playoffs. I'm FAR less worried about the Patriots with Gronk on the sidelines. Especially with how our corners are playing. Timmons could match up with one or the other and Troy is healthy (currently). Although both Hernandez and Gronk will be tough. Either way if the Steelers can get healthy on both sides of the ball they can beat anyone in the NFL. I just don't like the idea of going to Denver because of Clark, outside of that outcome I'm no too worried about anyone IF we get healthy.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    IF we get healthy.
    A game between these two teams with each at full-strength would be one of the best match-ups in this year's NFL, I think.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the key to beating the Patriots is controlling the time of possession. The offense would need to control the ball with the short passing game (dink and dunk), and with the running game with Dwyer and Redman. The less Brady would be on the field the better. Plus he would have more of an urgency to throw which would allow the defense to pin their ears back and put pressure on Brady which is always important. That's the way that the Giants have consistently controlled the Patriots offense. Roethlisberger and his receivers would need to produce TD's on those long drives as opposed to FG's because the Patriots will get theirs. If the defense is able to cause a couple turnovers off Brady and company the Steelers could blow the Patriots out whether the game is in Foxboro or Pittsburgh. I don't see the Patriots being physical enough especially without Gronkowski!!

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>