Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sean Kugler leaving for head coach job..(college)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    My guess? It would depend upon how well he got along with Haley in Arizona...

If he hated Haley? Chances are zero...

If he liked Haley? Chances are slim...
    Nothing about Russ Grimm is slim.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ o-line loses Kugler, Colon

By F. Dale Lolley
    dec 11, 2012

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has been one of the few healthy linemen for the Steelers.

PITTSBURGH – Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler was officially hired as the new head football coach at the University of Texas-El Paso Monday, a day after his unit played perhaps its worst game of the season in a 34-24 loss to the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field.

News of Kugler’s hiring broke over the weekend and might have been a distraction for a group that had been playing well this season – until Sunday.

Though none of the offensive linemen would use the eventual loss of Kugler – who will finish out the season with the Steelers - as an excuse, the results from Sunday’s defeat, which dropped Pittsburgh to 7-6, are hard to deny.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, making a return from a three-game absence because of shoulder and rib injuries, was pressured, hit or sacked on 19 of 48 passing plays. Taking out the five Roethlisberger scrambles for 31 yards, the running game produced 38 yards on 12 carries. The Steelers scored just three points in the first 40 minutes before producing three touchdowns after the game’s outcome had been decided.

“Hat’s off to (the Chargers),” said Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. “They were bringing a lot of different looks at us, and we didn’t do a good job of blocking it.”

Things won’t get easier.

Already missing right tackles Marcus Gilbert, who was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury; and Mike Adams, who sat out his second consecutive game with an ankle injury; the Steelers lost left guard Willie Colon to a major knee injury in the first half.

Colon, who will likely be placed on season-ending injured reserve, had missed the previous two games with a knee injury and was attempting to come back from that against the Chargers when he went down again.

It marks a continuing trend for Colon, who missed all but one game in the previous two seasons with an Achilles’ tendon injury and torn biceps.

“It’s terrible for him,” Pouncey said. “For him to be dealing with that for the last couple of years, and now we don’t know how this thing is going to turn out ... I feel terrible for him.”

With Colon out, the Steelers slid Pouncey to left guard and inserted Doug Legursky at center, just as they did two weeks ago in a 23-20 win at Baltimore.

Moving forward, however, the Steelers could try to insert first-round draft pick David DeCastro into the starting lineup.

DeCastro, who was activated from injured reserve Nov. 26 after suffering a preseason knee injury, did not play against the Ravens, but saw action on special teams against the Chargers as the Steelers ease him back into the lineup.

That plan could now be accelerated with Colon out, though DeCastro was used strictly at right guard in the preseason.

Ramon Foster was inserted into the starting lineup at right guard when DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game and has played well, but the Steelers could put Foster or DeCastro at left guard in an effort to put their best five linemen on the field.

Whatever alignment the Steelers decide upon, they know they must play better on the offensive front if they are going to make the playoffs.

The Steelers currently hold the sixth, and final, playoff spot in the AFC, but need two wins in their final three games – including one over Cincinnati in two weeks – to assure a spot in the postseason.

“We are in control, but we can’t go out there and play like we did (Sunday) in the last three games,” said Pouncey. “That can’t happen if we want to be where we want to be at the end of the season. I think we did a poor job, but we have to go back to work and turn this thing around.”

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121211/SPORTS0403/121219921/-1/sports#.UMa7cM2FEmw[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin said he's not playing Decastro because he's not tipping his hand for the playoffs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ramon Foster was inserted into the starting lineup at right guard when DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game and has played well, but the Steelers could put Foster or DeCastro at left guard in an effort to put their best five linemen on the field.
    With Colon out, if we want to put our best five o-linemen on the field, I think that looks like this right now:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Foster

with Beachum and Malecki as backups (until Adams is ready to play again).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

• When Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler interviewed for the UTEP head coaching job with athletic director Bob Stull, one of his first comments was, “I‘m not leaving the team. If that keeps me from getting the job, it keeps me from getting the job,” Kugler said. It didn‘t, and now Kugler must do two jobs until the Steelers‘ season ends. “Right now the only thing I‘m thinking about is getting these guys ready to play in Dallas,” he said Wednesday.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F49OD3Vi[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/when-kugler-says-jump-his-players-ask-how-high-665593/[/url]

doesn't sound like Kugler is some easily replaced shmoe that is easily replaced by the next guy.