Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eying the draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Outside of Te'o... I'll take the best available S (preferably FS) or ILB or OLB from the SEC or Florida State.

Given those 3 positions, that should provide us with a damn good player.
    Amen to that!
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Find me a playmaker. Someone who gets sacks or INTs. We are woefully lacking for both.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    My first rounder could be a long shot. But if Eric Reid, S, LSU is there, wow.
    A little while back, I suggested that we continue our trend of addressing a specific need with 2 players in the same draft class (linebackers Timmons and Woodley, wideouts Sanders and Brown, corners Brown and Allen, o-linemen DeCastro and Adams), by using our first and second round picks on premium safeties as the heir apparent to the aging Polamalu and Clark. I mentioned LSU's Reid in the first, and Oklahoma's Jefferson in the second.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB
    2. Scoring/RedZone Production

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I say we go backup QB
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft, but, I like doing it.

I am going to assume we won't be picking until 25 or later, just for the purposes of having some kind of starting point (I hope we won't be picking until 32

My first rounder could be a long shot. But if Eric Reid, S, LSU is there, wow.

[URL]http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204879620[/URL]

They are saying he is every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. I find that hard to believe, but if he is even in the neighborhood, wow, would this guy give us our safety for the next decade. Both Clark and Troy are in their 30s - nearly MID 30s, so it's not too early to address the position. What I like about this guy is his size combined with leadership skills, and natural instincts. If there is one thing I hate is when Pgh over values physical skills on dudes who have no instincts. I don't care how big and fast you are; if you don't know when to be where, and the quickest way to get there (the right angles) then it's all worthless. (See Scott freakin Shields, remember him? He was as useless as tits on a bull.) Reid would be knockin the crap out of offenses and provide stellar leadership. But could easily not be there when we draft, so......
    her.
    im still amazed at the INT he had vs bama in the regualr season last year. took away a sure TD.

would love to see another DB who can play the ball like that in the secondary

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB
    2. Scoring/RedZone Production

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.
    yeah, with the D still ranked high, i'd look to a bigger receiver if one was there. especially with wally not coming back (most likely)

the kind that can catch the ball at the 20 in stride and take it in the endzone even with defenders coming at him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'll take Reid any day over Thomas.

Even if Thomas was "rated" as good as Reid, I'd still take Reid and it wouldn't be close. The big boy league (SEC) vs. a player at Fresno State. To me, it's not even close.
    I disagree... the passing attacks in the SEC are horrible. if we are talking run support I agree... but coverage? NAH... I have to look and the individual over conference reputation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    yeah, with the D still ranked high, i'd look to a bigger receiver if one was there. especially with wally not coming back (most likely)

the kind that can catch the ball at the 20 in stride and take it in the endzone even with defenders coming at him
    See my signature. Terrence Williams is projected to be at the back end of round 1. 6 ft 2 and he can go get it in a crowd.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I disagree... the passing attacks in the SEC are horrible. if we are talking run support I agree... but coverage? NAH... I have to look and the individual over conference reputation.
    You spend way too much time listing to so-called experts. The two top passers in all of college football (rating wise), are from the SEC...A.J. McCarron and Aaron Murray. In fact look at their numbers and you see they actually throw the rock a lot more than most think. And do it well.

A.J McCarron 2666 Yards and 26 TD's, and Aaron Murray 3466 Yards and 31 TD's. And then Add Tyler Bray of Tennessee and his 3612 Yards and 34 TD's and Johnny Manziel's 3419 Yards and 24 TD's you should get the point. 3 of those 4 have thrown for over a 65% completion percentage as well.