Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eying the draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think it's the most important position for the pass rush. If you have a dominant NT that can drive the C/G deep in the pocket, there's no room for the QB to step up to avoid pressure. This helps the edge guys get to the QB deeper in the pocket and harder for the tackles to run them out of the play.

Plus the more dominant the NT, the more help the C needs which frees up the ends and OLBs.

It's not a coincidence the Steelers pressure decreased in line with Casey's play.
    it feels good to have someone with the same opinion as Chadman. Individual stats will never support this theory, but NT is the fulcrum to the success of a 3-4 defence. As Flippy pointed out, the decline in pressure on the opposition QB has been almost hand-in-hand with Casey's decline. Getting a guy in there that can attract 2 blockers, or better, 3 like Casey in his heyday, opens the field for the other pass rushers. Just think, if the NT commands 2 blockers, and 1 of your DE's commands 2 blockers- how many blockers are left for the 2nd DE and the LB's? Can teams successfully single-block Woodley or Harrison? And if the counterbalance to a dominant NT/ DE combo is to add extra blockers- then there are less offensive weapons on the field for our DB's to defend against.

Jesse Williams sounding better?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Jesse Williams sounding better?
    I'd love to see us draft someone from Australia. But I'm not sure how well suited Williams is as a NT. I'd see him more as an end. I thought his teammate Chapman from last year was the perfect fit to replace Casey and can't believe we didn't take him over the menace to the South Side.

I'm not sure who I like yet as a NT in this year's draft. A lot of the guys that are being projected to NT look more like ends to me. Akeem Spence might be worth a looksee imho. Is he a 2nd or 3rd rounder? Plus he's an underclassmen which Tomlin seems to like.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd love to see us draft someone from Australia. But I'm not sure how well suited Williams is as a NT. I'd see him more as an end. I thought his teammate Chapman from last year was the perfect fit to replace Casey and can't believe we didn't take him over the menace to the South Side.

I'm not sure who I like yet as a NT in this year's draft. A lot of the guys that are being projected to NT look more like ends to me. Akeem Spence might be worth a looksee imho. Is he a 2nd or 3rd rounder? Plus he's an underclassmen which Tomlin seems to like.
    T-mu put himself in a very bad position, however this is one of those cases where the character of a person is tested and measured. If he gets the right support I still think he can be a valuable asset.

I hope so because being forced to take another NT in the upcoming draft will distract us from fixing some other serious issues at Safety, ILB, LT and OLB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A little while back, I suggested that we continue our trend of addressing a specific need with 2 players in the same draft class (linebackers Timmons and Woodley, wideouts Sanders and Brown, corners Brown and Allen, o-linemen DeCastro and Adams), by using our first and second round picks on premium safeties as the heir apparent to the aging Polamalu and Clark. I mentioned LSU's Reid in the first, and Oklahoma's Jefferson in the second.
    I don't mind this idea Ruthless, but Reid is not a gamebreaker/gamechanger. He is a talented DB, but he has struggled a bit this year without top talent around him.

If Matt Elam comes out, I'd love to get him on this team. He is a little short (5'10), but he has great quickness, striking ability and versatility. He covers the slot receiver in nickel situations, can cover the back half and can play in the box. I think he is a better athlete and has better instincts than Reid. He can play FS, SS, and nickel CB. What do you think of him?

I like Jefferson in the second very much. He could be a great pro.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    See my signature. Terrence Williams is projected to be at the back end of round 1. 6 ft 2 and he can go get it in a crowd.
    sounds good

Legend

User Info Menu

i think i'll throw something at the TV if we draft another DL in the 1st round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i think i'll throw something at the TV if we draft another DL in the 1st round
    May be necessary going to the 4-3
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft
    Or maybe not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    May be necessary going to the 4-3
    we draft more DL in the 1st round then even 4-3 teams.

to hold off OL so the LBs vcan make plays

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    we draft more DL in the 1st round then even 4-3 teams.

to hold off OL so the LBs vcan make plays
    Haha.... nice over reaction NJ. Outside of Hood/Heyward, the last 1st round DL the Steelers picked was Casey Hampton. That's a long time between drinks. And the state of the drafting-playbook has changed for the Steelers because there are far more teams playing 3-4 now, than back in the day when you could get an Aaron Smith in Round 4, or Keisel in Round 7. To get the top notch 3-4 DL guys, you have to pick them early, nowadays. And due to having a DL that was never given a 'succession line' until our guys got too old to keep going, we now find the Steelers scrambling to get young bodies at a position that became ancient.

You may not like it- but this team is still short a quality 3-4 NT. It's better to burn an early pick on one & getting it right, than 'making do' and watching the run defence suffer as a result.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE