Thread: Tie breakers...

Backup

User Info Menu

Tie breakers...

So I am assuming we lose the tie breaker with the Ravens for the division?
    What do they go by? I seem to forget this each year but is it Record, then record vs opponent, division record, then conference record?

Balt 8-2 in conference and I believe 4-1 in afc North. We would basically need them to lose 3 of 4 and us win out to win our division...correct?

Wildcard: Bengals 1-3 in division and 5-5 in conference US: 2-2 IN DIVISION 4-5 CONFERENCE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    So I am assuming we lose the tie breaker with the Ravens for the division?
    What do they go by? I seem to forget this each year but is it Record, then record vs opponent, division record, then conference record?

Balt 8-2 in conference and I believe 4-1 in afc North. We would basically need them to lose 3 of 4 and us win out to win our division...correct?

Wildcard: Bengals 1-3 in division and 5-5 in conference US: 2-2 IN DIVISION 4-5 CONFERENCE
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures[/URL]

1) Head-to-Head
    2) Division
    3) Common Games
    4) Conference

Within a division, the common games are factored in, since all teams within a given division play an entire division in the other conference...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Okay, I've given it some thought...if the two teams (Ravens and Steelers) finish with the same record overall:

1) Head-to Head: Split...move to next tiebreaker...

2) Division: At this point, the Steelers need to beat both the Bengals and the Browns while needing the Ravens to lose to the Bengals...if that happens, then both teams will be tied within the division at 4-2...if not, Ravens claim the tiebreaker right here...

3) Common Games: Each team within a division plays 14 common games while only playing 12 conference games, so common games takes precedence...

Ravens/Steelers (each other 2 games): Both teams 1-1
    Browns (2 games): Ravens 2-0 and Steelers 0-1 at this point
    Bengals (2 games): Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 1-0 at this point
    Broncos: Ravens 0-0 and Steelers 0-1
    Chargers: Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 0-0
    Chiefs: Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 1-0
    Raiders: Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 0-1
    Cowboys: Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 0-0
    Eagles: Ravens 0-1 and Steelers 1-0
    Giants: Ravens 0-0 and Steelers 1-0
    Redskins: Ravens 0-0 and Steelers 1-0

Total record vs. common opponents (so far): Ravens 8-2, Steelers 6-4

If the Steelers win out and the Ravens go 2-2 (1 loss to the Bengals), the common games will be tied at 10-4

4) Conference: If it gets this far, the Steelers are screwed...all 5 of the Steelers losses are to AFC opponents...only two of the Ravens three losses were to AFC opponents...in the last four weeks of the season, the Ravens play two NFC opponents, so the most conference losses they can have at this point are 4...

Bottom line: The Steelers need to win out and have the Ravens lose three of four to win the division...

Backup

User Info Menu

Probably won't happen. Let the Steelers take the wild card route again. Revenge Tour Pt 2. Beat the Ratbirds, Donkeys and Cheaters on the way to #7.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I actually think there is a decent chance the Skins can beat the Ravens this week. With that, a serious chance is opened up for the Steelers because all the Ravens' remaining games involve teams that are fighting for something ...

Giants - NFCN title
    Broncos - 1st round Bye
    Bengals - playoff spot

With IND having to play the Texans twice there is a decent chance they fall down enough that the Bengals can steal a playoff spot.

If HOU beats NE on Monday Night (not unlikely), then the Broncos can secure the 2-seed by winning out, starting immediately with the Ravens.

This week (aside from the obvious - PIT win / BAL loss) we should root for:
    HOU win over NE
    NO win over NYG (to keep that division in doubt and keep the Giants motivated against the Ravens)
    CIN and DAL (hard to tell, a CIN loss almost locks a playoff spot for PIT, but reduces the chances of PIT winning the division)
    TEN win over IND (to keep the Bengals hopes alive)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility View Post
    CIN and DAL (hard to tell, a CIN loss almost locks a playoff spot for PIT, but reduces the chances of PIT winning the division)
    Not hard to tell. I want to lock up a ticket to the dance first and foremost. Cincy losing helps that likelihood tremendously. Once you're in there, anything can happen. The only seeding I am worried about right now is not being 7th.

Seriously, what's the difference if we win the North or qualify as top wildcard team? Whether we play the Ravens at home in first round or on the road? With Ben at the helm, I think we can beat Baltimore no matter where the game is played.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Not hard to tell. I want to lock up a ticket to the dance first and foremost. Cincy losing helps that likelihood tremendously. Once you're in there, anything can happen. The only seeding I am worried about right now is not being 7th.

Seriously, what's the difference if we win the North or qualify as top wildcard team? Whether we play the Ravens at home in first round or on the road? With Ben at the helm, I think we can beat Baltimore no matter where the game is played.
    I agree with you about a PIT/BAL matchup. But I'm thinking that BAL can be very physical and, even though they lose they can soften up a team for you. If the Steelers win the division, then BAL might drop to 6 and "do some work on your behalf."