Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell Eyeing the Elimination of Kickoffs

Legend

User Info Menu

Goodell Eyeing the Elimination of Kickoffs

Per this article, the idea is promoted by Greg Schiano, with Goodell's support:

Roger Goodell talks Chiefs, eliminating kickoffs, and player safety with TIME magazine

[URL="http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/srhRoGBZdcraDtNOasCP8Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo_goodelltime.jpg"][/URL]
    (TIME Magazine)NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is on the cover of this week's TIME Magazine, and Goodell has many interesting things to say in [URL="http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/12/06/cover-story-how-far-will-roger-goodell-go-to-protect-the-game-he-loves/#ixzz2EI3dLzDH"]a wide-ranging story[/URL] written by Sean Gregory. First and foremost, Goodell discussed the thought process that went into the decision to have the Kansas City Chiefs play the Carolina Panthers at Arrowhead Stadium just one day after Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, 22-year-old Kasandra Perkins, at the couple's home, and then took his own life at the team's facility.

"My first thoughts weren't about football at all," Goodell said, recalling when he heard the news last Saturday morning. "This is not a football tragedy. It's a human tragedy that impacts families, loved ones and an innocent child left behind."

That innocent child is Zoey, the 3-month-old daughter now without a mother or father. The NFL has a [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-support-jovan-belcher-kassandra-perkins-daughter-until-224734049--nfl.html"]trust in place for her[/URL], based on the NFL's current collective bargaining agreement, that will provide for her through college. As to the game, Goodell said that he consulted with the Chiefs before making his final decision. Kansas City won that game, 27-21, and quarterback Brady Quinn put together an improbably excellent performance that earned him the AFC Offensive Player of the Week award.

"It was ultimately my decision. But it was important to get the views of the players and try to honor their wishes. [Chiefs chairman] Clark [Hunt] got back to me and said [Coach] Romeo [Crennel] and the captains felt that playing the game—being together as a team and a community—was important. So that's exactly what we did."

[Related: [URL="http://yhoo.it/SKCkeK"]The timeline of the Kansas City Chiefs tragedy[/URL]]
    Now, Goodell must find a way to address the need for trustworthy and confidential counseling for players who feel they need it, but don't want any perceived psychological issues affecting their place on the roster.
    In more general NFL subjects, the TIME article revealed a possible plan to eliminate kickoffs from pro football altogether.
    TIME sat in on meeting between Goodell and Rich McKay, head of the NFL's powerful competition committee. Goodell brought up a proposal promoted by Greg Schiano, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, punts would replace kickoffs, and punts are less susceptible to violent collisions than kickoffs.
    "It's a much different end of the play…It's an off-the-wall idea," Goodell said. "It's different and makes you think differently. It did me."
    Of course, player safety came up. And of course, there are players who feel that the league's current focus on the elimination of violence from the game is an impossible, but elaborate, sell job.

"Really a lack of accountability from the top down," New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees said of Goodell's tenure as commissioner. "Also, I feel like, in large part, this bounty scandal, so to speak, is a big facade and a way to cover up the shortcomings of the league with regard to player health and safety over the last three years."

Goodell, as you might expect, had a different take on the general subject, and the Saints bounty scandal to which Brees refers.

"I don't do things for public relations," Goodell told TIME. "I do things because they're the right thing to do, because I love the game … If you want to do the popular thing, be a cheerleader."

[Also: [URL="http://yhoo.it/SCRXXa"]Try Y! Sports' NFL playoff scenario generator[/URL]]

Doing things in the name of legal damage control? That's a different subject. More than 4,000 former NFL players have attached their names to lawsuits claiming that the NFL knew of the dangers of concussions for decades and did nothing to make the game safer. Goodell says that he's currently managing a precarious balancing act -- to keep the things people love about the game while trying to -- at least in his own mind -- clean things up when it's needed. Many don't like his methods and find the transparency in his process to be lacking.

But as his power grows, Goodell cares less and less about such things.

"A lot of times, you know the right thing to do," Goodell said. "But you have to have the courage to do it. And I think that's harder than it seems."
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

TIME sat in on meeting between Goodell and Rich McKay, head of the NFL's powerful competition committee. Goodell brought up a proposal promoted by Greg Schiano, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, punts would replace kickoffs, and punts are less susceptible to violent collisions than kickoffs.
    OMG, I can't stand this FN guy.
    This is one of the most moronic ideas I have ever heard.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    OMG, I can't stand this FN guy.
    This is one of the most moronic ideas I have ever heard.
    That is ridiculous!! LoL
    Why not punt from the 40 like after a safety or something. But a 4th and 15??? LoL
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

100% prepared with avoiding loosing the upcoming law suits in mind. The NFL suddenly became so very interested in being able to claim they did everything they can to avoid concussion health issues. They really are so very caring about the future health of their players now.......all because they have such a heart for the players; nothing do with avoiding a billion dollar law suit. None at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

He is the reason why I'm enjoying the college game more each year. It at least resembles football....

Legend

User Info Menu

I would rather eliminate Roger Goodell instead...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's just eliminate tackling, since the game would be so much safer without it...and instead of blocking, those big boys up front could only play pattycake...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When I was a kid in pee wee football there were weight restrictions in place. The players have grown to insane dimensions. In other physical sports there are weight restrictions. Just to throw a different thought process out there, what if they took a look at changing the player instead of the game? Would it make a difference if linemen on either side of the ball could not weigh more than a certain weight or LB's couldn't weigh more than a certain weight and there were weigh ins on Sunday mornings or something? Just a thought.

personally I don't mind some of the rule changes if it is called fair and I think they need to look at having some of the responsibility go on the offensive player. If you are a QB and run toward the LOS and you drop your own head when seeing you will get hit, it's your own fault if you take a helmet to helmet hit.

i wouldn't care if the team that was to kick off punted the ball instead of kicking it off if it is really safer. The getting the ball and it being 4th down is stupid though.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 12-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL should cut their losses and settle the pending lawsuits. Then, they should require all current and future players to sign concussion and injury waivers. If the players want to participate in this violent sport and earn the chance at making bazillions of dollars doing it, then they waive their rights to so sue the league for injuries that they know full well in advance might occur. The sue-happy culture in this country is breaking it, everyone wants something for nothing.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    The NFL should cut their losses and settle the pending lawsuits. Then, they should require all current and future players to sign concussion and injury waivers. If the players want to participate in this violent sport and earn the chance at making bazillions of dollars doing it, then they waive their rights to so sue the league for injuries that they know full well in advance might occur. The sue-happy culture in this country is breaking it, everyone wants something for nothing.
    The people who got something for nothing are the owners of billion dollar franchises...