Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Great Steeler OLB....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Next Great Steeler OLB....

...Anthony Barr UCLA? Now granted he is in the first year of playing division 1 football. Actually his first year of ever playing defense,(let alone OLB). But if he decides to be one and done and enter the NFL draft, this freak is going to be a hot commodity. A RB turned OLB in UCLA's hybrid 3-4 who has turned into one of the countries best pass rushers.

Freakish athletic ability. 6 ft 4 235 and has shown the ability to cover. He has a great wing span, ala J.J. Watt and has the knack for knocking down passes at the LOS.

70 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 20.5 tackles for loss, 5 PD's, and 4 FF.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought you were going to say it was Worilds. Leads the team in sack in just a few starts. And he is laying the lumber out there; took on that huge FB in Balt. last week and didn't end up worse for wear. He is starting to be effective out there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I thought you were going to say it was Worilds. Leads the team in sack in just a few starts. And he is laying the lumber out there; took on that huge FB in Balt. last week and didn't end up worse for wear. He is starting to be effective out there.
    No, I agree Worilds has flashed some "good" but I am thinking "great". That is what we need for the ROLB. James Harrison may not be back next year. I don't think either Worilds or Woodley are the answer for what the Steelers need going up against the leagues premier LT's. They are fine on the other side but not at the elite ROLB spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No, I agree Worilds has flashed some "good" but I am thinking "great". That is what we need for the ROLB. James Harrison may not be back next year. I don't think either Worilds or Woodley are the answer for what the Steelers need going up against the leagues premier LT's. They are fine on the other side but not at the elite ROLB spot.
    Agreed. Barr might look pretty good in Black and Gold. But if he's all that, chances are good that about 31 other teams will be paying attention...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Agreed. Barr might look pretty good in Black and Gold. But if he's all that, chances are good that about 31 other teams will be paying attention...
    Yep...but this year the cool thing is there may be about 10 Anthony Barr types available in round one.

Jarvis Jones
    Bjoern Werner
    DaMontra Moore
    Sam Montgomery
    Barkevious Mingo
    Anthony Barr
    Alex Okafor
    Dion Jordan
    Corey Lemonier
    Esekiel Ansah ( more of a 4-3 DE put a plus pass rusher)

..and two other blue chippers who have gotten hurt, Jackson Jeffcoat and Tank Carradine that could still be very much in the mix.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Oh and dont sleep on USC's Morgan Breslin.

Legend

User Info Menu

I still can't shake the stink of UCLA OLB past...give me another decade or two before we go back to that well...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I still can't shake the stink of UCLA OLB past...give me another decade or two before we go back to that well...

Without knowing, that's got to be Bruce Davis. That was one horrible draft pick, especially considering we had much greater needs on the OL at the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, but he looked cool in shades. Is Brucie still playing anywhere?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    ...Anthony Barr UCLA? Now granted he is in the first year of playing division 1 football. Actually his first year of ever playing defense,(let alone OLB). But if he decides to be one and done and enter the NFL draft, this freak is going to be a hot commodity. A RB turned OLB in UCLA's hybrid 3-4 who has turned into one of the countries best pass rushers.
    And who is the coordinator of UCLA's hybrid 3-4 defense?

Why, none other than Lou Spanos...Spanos was a Steeler assistant coach (defensive quality control) for more than a decade...along with John Mitchell and Dick LeBeau, he is one of three Steeler coaches to be on staff for SB XXX, XL and XLIII...

Given Spanos' background, how could anyone doubt that Barr would be a good fit?