Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Butler a Lock to Replace DL?

Legend

User Info Menu

I was with you until this part:

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    like a Mangini
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes he will be, if you watch the games Butler will sometimes huddle with the defense and go over things and also DL will give him the play to call if you watch closely. Look like he's training to me.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I was with you until this part:
    He seemed ok in NE. Then while he failed as a coach in Cleveland and NY, he seemed to do a good job of getting talent and improving the Ds. I think he's just another good coordinator that can't be a coach.

I've seen him on ESPN a couple time with Skip Bayless and the loud obnoxious guy and the torture they put him through might be the most entertaining thing on ESPN outside of those E60s which are awesome. Those 2 guys just torture Mangini. You can just see him dying inside on that show. Skip and Bobo have no idea what they're talking about, Mangini clearly knows it and he just seems so troubled by putting on a happy face and taking part in a discussion he looks like he thinks is the dumbest discussion in the world but it's paying the bills. He's nice about it, but doesn't seem happy.

Maybe he's holding out for another HC gig? But he seems like a guy that's too good to be wasting away on ESPN. ESPN seems like a good home for guys like Herm Edwards or Brian Billick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not sure that there is an exact correlation between position coaches having a unit that performs well and the ability of that coach to be a coordinator, just like good coordinators don't necessarily make good head coaches.

For example, the DBs did not seem to improve under Ray Horton, but he has been a very good DC for the Cardinals. Butler has turned down some opportunities and I have a feeling that he is the heir apparent. Lake has been a great position coach but I think that when DL retires (incidentally, no guarantee that he does so next year) Butler is the most likely successor.
    And another $$$

Keep in mind that if you promote him to DC, he will not have the time to concentrate on the job that he has done so well, coaching up the DBs, because he will be too busy with the D as a whole, which is a job that I also don't think that he is ready for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I know Butler has already been promised to be the successor to Lebeau. But any chance we'd reconsider?

All of a sudden, without our best players on D, no significant pass rush, and an inability to create turnovers, our DBs are what's making this D go. It was a huge weakness that's become the strength of the unit.

Seems like Carnell might be the star young coach in the making that might be worth considering instead. Is he just a prodigy that's too good to pass up? As a player, who transitions from a stud college LB to play a season at CB? I'm starting to think he's bringing that's special sauce to coaching.
    Our DBs are looking good because we invested in the position in the draft starting about three years ago. It is just natural progression.

We will see the same effect on the OL in another year or two because of the investment we made over the past three years in Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro and Adams (maybe add Beachum in there).
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"