Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Steelers LB James Harrison blames Jovan Belcher, not guns

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Then move. Why is it that some people simply don't accept crappy conditions and do something to make change while others just do nothing
    reminds me of the Sam Kinison skit about how to cure world hunger:

"I’m like anyone else on this planet — I’m very moved by world hunger. I see the same commercials, with those little kids, starving and very depressed.

But I’m not trying to make fun of world hunger. Matter of fact, I think I have the answer. You want to stop world hunger? Stop sending these people food. Don’t send these people another bite, folks. You want to send them something? You want to help? Send them U-Hauls!

Send them U-Hauls, some luggage, send them a guy out there who says, “Hey, we’ve been driving out here every day with your food, for, like, the last thirty or forty years, and we were driving out here today across the desert, and it occurred to us that there wouldn’t BE world hunger if you people would LIVE WHERE THE FOOD IS! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! NOTHING GROWS OUT HERE! NOTHING’S GONNA GROW OUT HERE! YOU SEE THIS? HUH? THIS IS SAND. KNOW WHAT IT’S GONNA BE A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW? IT’S GONNA BE SAND! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! GET YOUR STUFF, GET YOUR STUFF, WE’LL MAKE ONE TRIP, WE’LL TAKE YOU TO WHERE THE FOOD IS! WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA — WE JUST DON’T LIVE IN THEM!"
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It still could, but they have successfully made it so meaningful militias can no longer exist. They have vilified them.
    Glad to see you spelled "vilified" correctly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    reminds me of the Sam Kinison skit about how to cure world hunger:

"I’m like anyone else on this planet — I’m very moved by world hunger. I see the same commercials, with those little kids, starving and very depressed.

But I’m not trying to make fun of world hunger. Matter of fact, I think I have the answer. You want to stop world hunger? Stop sending these people food. Don’t send these people another bite, folks. You want to send them something? You want to help? Send them U-Hauls!

Send them U-Hauls, some luggage, send them a guy out there who says, “Hey, we’ve been driving out here every day with your food, for, like, the last thirty or forty years, and we were driving out here today across the desert, and it occurred to us that there wouldn’t BE world hunger if you people would LIVE WHERE THE FOOD IS! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! NOTHING GROWS OUT HERE! NOTHING’S GONNA GROW OUT HERE! YOU SEE THIS? HUH? THIS IS SAND. KNOW WHAT IT’S GONNA BE A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW? IT’S GONNA BE SAND! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! GET YOUR STUFF, GET YOUR STUFF, WE’LL MAKE ONE TRIP, WE’LL TAKE YOU TO WHERE THE FOOD IS! WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA — WE JUST DON’T LIVE IN THEM!"
    Give a man a fish, and you take care of his hunger for a little while...teach a man to fish and...
    well...you probably ain't gonna see him at work too regularly after that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Militia activity does no such thing...it did, once upon a time...

I disagree.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Me too.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think I am missing the joke here. I did spell it correctly. Why is that funny?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think I am missing the joke here. I did spell it correctly. Why is that funny?
    I think he was taking a shot at me for pointing out a couple of people misspelling it earlier in the thread. I'm not even sure if you were one of them.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm the one who should be vilified over the improper spelling of vilified.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm the one who should be vilified over the improper spelling of vilified.
    Nice one.

To change the subject back to the original topic, there are numerous legitimate reasons for the owning and carrying of firearms. While I do believe there is a limit to what the majority of public should be able to fairly easily acquire (I don't think hand grenades or nuclear warheads should be widely available for instance) there are enough useful applications to warrant them.

One of the most legitimate reasons to have one, in my opinion, is for its intended purpose: To kill people. In a world that doesn't seem to be getting any less violent, unless you live in a fortress circled by a moat in a gated community surrounded by surveillance and armed guards 24/7 there is always a chance (albeit a small one depending on your location and current karma level) that someone will want to cause you harm or create a scenario in which causing you harm is a possibility. There is always a chance that someone will want what you have and be willing to harm you to get it. There are people out there that will invade your home. Now, I would say the chance that the type of person that would want to rob you, harm you, and/or invade your home of having a weapon of some sort (be it a blade or a knife) is higher than that of the average citizen. So, what are your options? Even if you are physically strong, can fight like Bruce Lee, and have a ballbat in your hand how does that help you against someone wielding a pistol? How does that help you against four people carrying guns? They are called equalizers for a reason.

Think of single moms. Think of the handicapped. Think of the elderly. What chance would they have against someone breaking into their home? Kidnappings. Rape. Etc. Etc.

Another legitimate reason for the owning of guns is hunting. We made it from a rock to a bow and arrow. Why stop the progress there?

Another (in my opinion) legitimate reason, although this scenario might be far fetched to some, is to protect yourself from the government or armed forces. If only one group of people is allowed to have guns then that group at least has the capability of forcing their will upon those that do not.

Guns are tools. Tools are inanimate objects. Much like the picture I posted earlier stated, blaming a tool for being used for a criminal act is the equivalent of shooting the messenger. The beer can didn't make you an alcoholic. The plate didn't make you fat. The purple jersey (probably) didn't make you an idiot. Murder and suicide are both decisions made in the mind of the person committing the act and can be carried out with common household items. If someone wants to kill someone they will do it with something and whether that something is a gun or not is irrelevant.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Nice one.

To change the subject back to the original topic, there are numerous legitimate reasons for the owning and carrying of firearms. While I do believe there is a limit to what the majority of public should be able to fairly easily acquire (I don't think hand grenades or nuclear warheads should be widely available for instance) there are enough useful applications to warrant them.

One of the most legitimate reasons to have one, in my opinion, is for its intended purpose: To kill people. In a world that doesn't seem to be getting any less violent, unless you live in a fortress circled by a moat in a gated community surrounded by surveillance and armed guards 24/7 there is always a chance (albeit a small one depending on your location and current karma level) that someone will want to cause you harm or create a scenario in which causing you harm is a possibility. There is always a chance that someone will want what you have and be willing to harm you to get it. There are people out there that will invade your home. Now, I would say the chance that the type of person that would want to rob you, harm you, and/or invade your home of having a weapon of some sort (be it a blade or a knife) is higher than that of the average citizen. So, what are your options? Even if you are physically strong, can fight like Bruce Lee, and have a ballbat in your hand how does that help you against someone wielding a pistol? How does that help you against four people carrying guns? They are called equalizers for a reason.

Think of single moms. Think of the handicapped. Think of the elderly. What chance would they have against someone breaking into their home? Kidnappings. Rape. Etc. Etc.

Another legitimate reason for the owning of guns is hunting. We made it from a rock to a bow and arrow. Why stop the progress there?

Another (in my opinion) legitimate reason, although this scenario might be far fetched to some, is to protect yourself from the government or armed forces. If only one group of people is allowed to have guns then that group at least has the capability of forcing their will upon those that do not.

Guns are tools. Tools are inanimate objects. Much like the picture I posted earlier stated, blaming a tool for being used for a criminal act is the equivalent of shooting the messenger. The beer can didn't make you an alcoholic. The plate didn't make you fat. The purple jersey (probably) didn't make you an idiot. Murder and suicide are both decisions made in the mind of the person committing the act and can be carried out with common household items. If someone wants to kill someone they will do it with something and whether that something is a gun or not is irrelevant.
    Well written and thoughtful.