Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 85

Thread: Steelers LB James Harrison blames Jovan Belcher, not guns

  1. #11
    Backup
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Just West of the Baltimore Browns
    Posts
    329
    If someone wants to murder someone, whether if it's with a gun, knife, poison, a spoon-whatever- they are gonna do it.

    Murder has been around for a looooooonnng time. The ease with which it is done is irrelevant.

    just a couple cents...

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    If someone wants to murder someone, whether if it's with a gun, knife, poison, a spoon-whatever- they are gonna do it.

    Murder has been around for a looooooonnng time. The ease with which it is done is irrelevant.

    just a couple cents...
    I agree.

    The problem is, if someone really doesn't want to murder someone and they lose composure for even a second, the ease with which
    it is done becomes extremely relevant...

    With a firearm, it becomes very easy to solve a temporary problem very permanently and very horribly...

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    If someone wants to murder someone, whether if it's with a gun, knife, poison, a spoon-whatever- they are gonna do it.

    Murder has been around for a looooooonnng time. The ease with which it is done is irrelevant.

    just a couple cents...

    That's true, but also consider being in the heat of the moment in an argument and being able to stand across the room from someone and move your finger an inch as compared to physically placing your hands on someone and maintaining the killing action until they die.

    I completely agree that it is the fault of the person. You've got to be pretty twisted to even pick up a gun during an argument with someone if you aren't threatened with death yourself. But I'm also sure that a lot of people have died over silly little things and arguments because of the ease and disconnected nature in which a gun be used.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree.

    The problem is, if someone really doesn't want to murder someone and they lose composure for even a second, the ease with which
    it is done becomes extremely relevant...

    With a firearm, it becomes very easy to solve a temporary problem very permanently and very horribly...

    yeah...what he said. Guess we were thinking on the same brainwaves there.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,272
    Guns don't kill people; Pitbulls kill people....

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Why can James say anything he wants, but Bob Costas can't?
    Both should have the constitutional right to express their opinions. But I think in this case, the media will likely smile on Costas' opinion, and frown on James'. One is PC in the eyes of the media, and the other is not.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree.

    The problem is, if someone really doesn't want to murder someone and they lose composure for even a second, the ease with which
    it is done becomes extremely relevant...

    With a firearm, it becomes very easy to solve a temporary problem very permanently and very horribly...
    This is true. It's also true that, when you need to defend yourself, you don't always have time to fart around and talk things out; the speed with which that firearm does its job may mean the difference between your own life and death...or the life of a loved one.


    Take a gander at this article:

    Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia
    Crime Rate Plummets


    by Chuck Baldwin


    The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.


    The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.


    And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.


    With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?


    The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.
    The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.
    There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts


    Now, I wouldn't advocate the forcing of gun ownership, but I think that is an intriguing story.

  8. #18
    If you want to think that Kennesaw, Georgia, population 30,000 is proof of anything, than okay...

    No one in my family who was not working in law-enforcement, armed forces or legal hunting has ever required the use of a firearm to avoid potential disaster...

    That as is just as much proof as Kennesaw, GA...

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Why can James say anything he wants, but Bob Costas can't?

    And, no, I don't blame guns for Belcher murdering that poor girl and then himself...

    I blame guns for making it easy to murder that poor girl and then himself...
    James (who happens to be a football player) made a statement that was printed by the media....Bob Costas has the same rights to stating his on opinions...but I don't want to hear his left win, agenda driven, 10 minute dissertation on live tv during a football broadcast...

    Kind of like people on this board who don't appreciate politically driven posts (that I have been slammed for in the past)....which this one is getting pretty close to...

    Dont get me wrong, it was a terrible act and I pray for that girl and her family...it is just awful...

    But we shouldn't be blaming guns instead of the irresponsible and unstable people using them....

    I can't really argue your point that guns make it easier...

  10. #20
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    This is true. It's also true that, when you need to defend yourself, you don't always have time to fart around and talk things out; the speed with which that firearm does its job may mean the difference between your own life and death...or the life of a loved one.


    Take a gander at this article:

    Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia
    Crime Rate Plummets


    by Chuck Baldwin


    The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.


    The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.


    And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.


    With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?


    The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.
    The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.
    There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts


    Now, I wouldn't advocate the forcing of gun ownership, but I think that is an intriguing story.

    Kennesaw is already in a pretty decent area, about as decent as it can be that close to Atlanta. I would be more impressed if a mandatory gun law changed a bad town to a good one.

    Crime rates did drop though after the law was enacted, that's undeniable. Another thing to consider is that most people in Georgia own a gun anyways.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •