Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Steelers LB James Harrison blames Jovan Belcher, not guns

Legend

User Info Menu

Terrell Suggs surrenders firearms

Updated: December 7, 2012
    ESPN.com

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs had to surrender several firearms stemming from a domestic case involving his girlfriend, Suggs' attorney told the Baltimore Sun on Thursday.

Warren Alperstein told the Sun that Candace Williams, Suggs' longtime girlfriend and mother of his two children, filed a court order in November, but Alperstein declined to provide further details.

"The guns were surrendered over to police pursuant to the court order, and they (Suggs and Williams) are resolving their issues," Alperstein told the Sun. "All I can tell you is that he's in rightful and lawful possession of the guns but turned them over pursuant to the requirements of the law."

Court records indicate Suggs filed a custody complaint against Williams on Nov. 19, and that Williams filed her complaint after that, Alperstein told the Sun.

Two 911 calls were received from Suggs' address on Nov. 21, but did not yield any reports, Baltimore County police told the Sun.

The Ravens organization and Suggs both declined comment, according to the newspaper.

The Suggs news comes less than a week after Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend shortly before killing himself with a gun in front of his coach and general manager at Arrowhead Stadium.

USA Today reported Friday that several NFL players estimated about 75 percent of their fellow players owned guns, a figure that didn't sound unreasonable to former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy.

"I was always shocked at the number of guys who raised their hand," Dungy told the newspaper, referring to his habit of asking which of his players owned guns at his first team meeting every season.

"That was kind of eye-opening to me," Dungy said. "... (But) it's just a fact of life. These guys had them. ... I think so many of these young guys have been around guns and have seen guns, and they just feel that's part of the landscape for them growing up."

Forty to 45 percent of the general American population owns guns, according to the USA Today report, which cited the National Rifle Association.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, whom the report describes as one of the biggest gun advocates in sports, said the Belcher story was not related to the prevalence of firearm ownership in the NFL.

"It has nothing to do with the guns," Harrison told USA Today. "Somebody goes out and kills somebody with a knife, you going to blame the knife? It's the person who did it who's responsible."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8722433/terrell-suggs-baltimore-ravens-forced-surrender-firearms-part-domestic-case-according-report[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Then move. Why is it that some people simply don't accept crappy conditions and do something to make change while others just do nothing and say, "See, our schools suck, it's not our fault our kids aren't getting a good education." Then you hear of other parents who simply don't accept a bad environment and do what that have to to change it.

1) I'm not a parent, I just have a job which has me working with kids in schools.

2) I'm getting a new job in January in a much better area.

So shove it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well written and thoughtful.
    Thanks. Surprised I wasn't vilified for my post.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Guns are tools. Tools are inanimate objects. Much like the picture I posted earlier stated, blaming a tool for being used for a criminal act is the equivalent of shooting the messenger. The beer can didn't make you an alcoholic. The plate didn't make you fat. The purple jersey (probably) didn't make you an idiot. Murder and suicide are both decisions made in the mind of the person committing the act and can be carried out with common household items. If someone wants to kill someone they will do it with something and whether that something is a gun or not is irrelevant.
    The beer can isn't designed to make someone alcoholic. The plate isn't designed to make someone fat. The purple jersey...well...forget about the purple jersey for a second...

Guns are specifically intended to kill things and assault weapons are specifically intended to kill other people... now, it still takes a person to pull the trigger, but don't pretend that guns are simply a "tool"...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Guns are simply tools. I'm assuming that your issue is that their intended purpose is to kill people and other animals. I argued earlier about the many different circumstances in which having and using a gun for its specific purpose is legitimate. Honestly I'm not sure what you're arguing against. Would you mind clarifying?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>