Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes that make me smile...finally

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Changes that make me smile...finally

There have been certain events, or lack there of, that have made me pull my hair out, that have finally been addressed this season. Correct or not, I chalk up these changes to Art 2, much more than I attribute them to Tomlin. Why? Because Tomlin could have made these changes but just didn't. I think the two recent rings also happened because Art 2 became the final decision maker instead of Dan, who was at an age where one really shouldn't be running a billion $ company. Art 2 saw what was needed, and took action, as opposed to Dan, who was more in the "don't rock the boat" mode, where sometimes the boat needs rocked a little. Any now, these are the changes that make me smile.

1.) Emphasis on making sure the O line is solid. How many years was the OL neglected? I assumed, after the 2005 season, we would be seeing the draft emphasize the OL since it was obvious that it needed addressed. But draft after draft, and in free agency, the OL was not emphasized as a need. Every draft and free agency I was p-ssed off that they didn't do enough to build the OL. But, finally, this year, the team obviously gave the OL a more appropriate, higher priority. Not only did we use a #1 on Pouncy, a #1 on DeCastro, a #2 on Adams, but also signed back Starks, which has been a Godsend. Prior to this season, they would not have put that much emphasis on it and it was stupid.

2.) Using a legit FB. It killed me that they either used no one, or a TE to fill that role. A legit FB is relatively short. You can't get leverage to block as a FB if your center of gravity is too high. Finally, they were FORCED into getting this right.

3.) Not allowing a game plan of "lets let our game plan consist of Ben having to work miracles, buy time and end up getting killed." Yes, we still need/use Ben's ability to buy time, but at least it's not as heavily relied on, as it never should have been. Between a better OL, a better rushing game and better play calling, Ben isn't being asked to be super man so often. They should have changed this years ago.

4.) A D not so reliant on Polamalu. Yea, they were forced into it, but the end results is the #1 D without even having TP, and now we have him back. It was so depressing when they would flash the stat of win-loss with and without him. Now they figured out how to play without him. I love that.

5.) A real commitment to the power rushing game. Up until now, it has all been mere lip service with how much they were committed to the run; finally, this year, there is a true commitment to it, and it is finally showing.

6.) No longer assuming Mendenhall is the main running back. I thought they should have looked for alternatives years ago. But they FINALLY WOKE THE F UP and realized he wasn't getting the job done. F n A, hallelujah.

It's frustrating, when, we, as fans, can see these areas needed addressed and the team just didn't figure it out for so much longer than the rest of us. But, what is that saying? Better late than never.

Legend

User Info Menu

good post...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Numbers 2,3,5, and 6 are directly related to the departure of Bruce Arians, whether they were the cause for his "retirement", or the result of it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    Numbers 2,3,5, and 6 are directly related to the departure of Bruce Arians, whether they were the cause for his "retirement", or the result of it.
    Totally agree and that's why I am glad he is gone, which was from Art 2 seeing that was needed, not Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

There's definitely a lot of good stuff around here. I especially like seeing the young guys play so well.

This team transitioned from Ben, Troy, James determining how we do to becoming a real team. I'm doubly impressed they did it within a season of losing Farrior and Hines. Losing their team leader and hardest worker seemed like a recipe for disaster.

Looking back, I think the lack of an offseason a year back hurt the development of some of the young guys. All of a sudden, Lewis, Worilds, Allen, Hood, Heyward, Sanders are budding stars out of nowhere.

The more I think about all of this, the more I think an offseason with Lake is the difference on the D. Lewis is night and day good all of a sudden. I wasn't even sure he was gonna be on the team after this year, but he's a stud. Allen's got it too. And Brown even looked good last week after seeming lost.

Not to mention Clark's playing the best he's ever played. Allen has been better than usual as well.

The way all the DBs are playing, I'm expecting Lake might even help make Troy better once he has his legs back. The way he's helped everyone else improve, I'm thinking Troy could have the best run ever of any defender in the history of the game the rest of this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Looking back, I think the lack of an offseason a year back hurt the development of some of the young guys. All of a sudden, Lewis, Worilds, Allen, Hood, Heyward, Sanders are budding stars out of nowhere.
    Just a few weeks ago we were all groaning about how our weak drafts have us screwed. So many were saying how we have no young guys with any talent. And once our stars fade away the team is shot. Still could be some truth to it but certainly not as much. Yea, and even Brown at CB seems like he is getting decent. Wow.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Just a few weeks ago we were all groaning about how our weak drafts have us screwed. So many were saying how we have no young guys with any talent. And once our stars fade away the team is shot. Still could be some truth to it but certainly not as much. Yea, and even Brown at CB seems like he is getting decent. Wow.
    We are a fickle bunch, aren't we?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    We are a fickle bunch, aren't we?
    Steeler fans are a spoiled bunch. I've seen fans stomp off stark mad, after a WIN. I too have felt some what ticked even after a win, if it is ugly enough, but not to the point that I have seen some. At least we have a franchise that reacts to our high demands

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler fans are a spoiled bunch. I've seen fans stomp off stark mad, after a WIN. I too have felt some what ticked even after a win, if it is ugly enough, but not to the point that I have seen some.
    no such thing as an ugly win, they are all beautiful in my eyes.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steeler fans are a spoiled bunch. I've seen fans stomp off stark mad, after a WIN. I too have felt some what ticked even after a win, if it is ugly enough, but not to the point that I have seen some. At least we have a franchise that reacts to our high demands
    I had a friend who did nothing but complain after we beat the Seahawks in the SB. We just won the freaking SB for the first time in ages and he just complained on and on...