Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I have to admit.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OK, I have to admit.....

.....Remember when it seemed like we couldn't find good DBs to save our lives? It seemed like every year, anyone we put out there other than Ike, Troy or Clark, all stunk big time, whether at safety or CB.

And low and behold?

Not only has Lewis emerged as a legit, solid as hell CB, but even when we lost Ike, Allen stepped in and was as tight as a drum.

Did we just get lucky or what? We find a way to have the #1 passing D while missing Troy all season long. And, although he looks a little chubby now, if he stays in one piece, he will be back to amazing within 2 more games. Even if we lose Ike for a while, we STILL might be in solid shape. In year's past, we could afford to lose ANY starters, as whoever we put on the field just stunk beyond belief. What has changed? Simple luck? Schemes? Experience?

Oh, and, also, it looks like we finally found depth at LB in Worilds. We haven't really missed Woodely as much as we probably thought we would. And Harrison is definitely rounding into form. And that is HUGE.

By the way, is everyone still griping about Hood? It looks like he is playing pretty well to me. But please, give McClendon more playing time, for Betsy's sake. Hampton is actually playing pretty well, but he needs more rest and McClendon needs more playing time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Remember when we couldn't put an O-Line together for the life of us???

Now we a pretty darn good O-Line with some depth.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Two words: Carnell Lake

Coaching makes a bigger difference than anyone could believe. He he's the biggest difference maker in turning around our secondary.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Remember when we couldn't put an O-Line together for the life of us???

Now we a pretty darn good O-Line with some depth.
    And just wait until we get healthy. As far as I know, DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams should all be coming back soon, right? I know you guys don't think Gilbert is any good, but I am not throwing him out with the trash just yet. And, he could end up just being a back up any how.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Two words: Carnell Lake

Coaching makes a bigger difference than anyone could believe. He he's the biggest difference maker in turning around our secondary.
    The Lake Effect

I’m not talking snow. I’m talking about Steelers secondary coach, Carnell Lake. Lake signed on with the team last season as the coach, and I think he is working wonders with the new guys like Cortez Allen. How else can you explain Keenan Lewis’ ability to FINALLY cover guys at least 75% of the game? How else can you explain that both Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown are impacting the secondary and special teams at the same time?

How else can you explain that Will Allen and Ryan Clark have been a force in the safety positions during Troy Polamalu’s absence almost all season? How is it that this defense has been #1 in pass defense two seasons in a row? Sure the secondary is full of talented players, but it’s Lake’s coaching that has gelled it all together. What a stroke of brilliance by the Front Office to get Lake on board.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/12/03...medium=twitter[/URL]

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know. Lake was an outstanding player, mostly because of his physical gifts and good attitude. How much of that translates to being able to offer that to other players? None have the physical abilities that Lake had, other than Troy. Lake had a tremendous size to speed ratio. Remember, he is a safety who played CB for us - and did it well - for that one season. But, something is working. Maybe it all just came together. Even Phil Simms comments that the theory used to be to beat Pgh you did so by passing, as their coverage was loose. "But not anymore. The Steelers have DBs who can cover and they are the #1 passing D."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe Gilbert has the same problem that Starks had.....being a natural LT that is and struggling with RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Maybe Gilbert has the same problem that Starks had.....being a natural LT that is and struggling with RT.
    but Gilbert looked good playing RT last season...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't know. Lake was an outstanding player, mostly because of his physical gifts and good attitude. How much of that translates to being able to offer that to other players? None have the physical abilities that Lake had, other than Troy. Lake had a tremendous size to speed ratio. Remember, he is a safety who played CB for us - and did it well - for that one season. But, something is working. Maybe it all just came together. Even Phil Simms comments that the theory used to be to beat Pgh you did so by passing, as their coverage was loose. "But not anymore. The Steelers have DBs who can cover and they are the #1 passing D."
    Keenan Lewis has consistently credited Lakes coaching for why he is the player he is fast becoming.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    but Gilbert looked good playing RT last season...
    We won the SuperBowl with Max at RT in his rookie season.....weird huh!!

They say GILBERT is a natural LT. Who knows