Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Willie Perspective

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dont think it is fair to compare 5 years of Willie Parker to 5 years of Rashard Mendenhall. Mendenhall after all has had some injuries that have limited his availability on the field over his 5 year period. Mendenhall has missed 21 games over his career. And those 21 games to Mendenhall and those numbers are way more in favor of him over what Willie posted. And Willie Parker played for a Steeler team that was much more run heavy than the one Mendenhall has played on the past couple of years.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    We kid around a lot on this board about using the term bust. I think it applies here given his draft round. Looking at the above comparision against an undrafted FA and now being beat out by a 6th round guy; it's hard not to use the term. He's 26 and I don't think anyone would think the team was hurt in any way if he walked at the end of the season.
    He's certainly been one of the least successful first round picks the Steelers have made after a long string of unqualified hits, but the bust label may be a bit harsh. After all, Mendenhall did put up one very solid season as a starter and was a contributor in other seasons, when healthy.

Looking at his draft, he was one pick after Felix Jones, one before Chris Johnson. Felix Jones was a bust, no doubt. Mendenhall was no Johnson, and I've never been a Mendenhall fan, but I'm not quite sure that he rises to the level of a bust, which I usually reserve for the Limas Sweeds of the world.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Mendenhall blows. There are half a dozen equal backs that could be had in rounds 3 through 7 this year and a few that will be better than him.
    I remember a few years ago on here there was an article that someone posted that had NFL backs grouped into tiers of 5 (IIRC) and RM was put in the third or fourth tier. People here were up in arms about that, but then when you look at the list of backs that you would rather have, he was certainly not a top ten back.

The other thing is that the defense of Mendenhall is never about his production, it has always been about him being forced to play behind a bad line and just wait and see what would happen if he ever had a decent line in front of him. Then, suddenly, Redman put up some numbers in limited snaps. This year, both Dwyer and Redman have put together good games. All the while, all we keep hearing is that RM is the best RB on the team. Being the best does not matter when there is never production to back that up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Glad to see I have that affect on you. If we were opponents on the field I guess you could say I own you. I certainly rent a ton of space in your head, that is for sure.
    Lol.. if owning = not remembering your name and you being 100% wrong about a player then sure... OK.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Could just be my perception but I always felt as if Nate Washington got a ton more leeway when it came to criticism for mediocre play (which was most of the time) than FWP ever did. Nate was somehow a "great story" but Willie didn't get that love and I never understood it. I really liked him, espeically when he was ripping off a 75 yard TD run in the Super Bowl.

We kid around a lot on this board about using the term bust. I think it applies here given his draft round. Looking at the above comparision against an undrafted FA and now being beat out by a 6th round guy; it's hard not to use the term. He's 26 and I don't think anyone would think the team was hurt in any way if he walked at the end of the season.
    Nate Washington was an undrafted free agent from Tiffin... I never understood the hate for that guy.

Sometimes it feels like the undrafted guys get more criticism than the drafted players who are always given "more time" because they have college highlights on youtube...

I don't think RM is a bust but he is real close to one when you look at FWP, Dwyer and Redman.

Legend

User Info Menu

I dont think it is fair to compare 5 years of Willie Parker to 5 years of Rashard Mendenhall. Mendenhall after all has had some injuries that have limited his availability on the field over his 5 year period. Mendenhall has missed 21 games over his career. And those 21 games to Mendenhall and those numbers are way more in favor of him over what Willie posted. And Willie Parker played for a Steeler team that was much more run heavy than the one Mendenhall has played on the past couple of years.
    hahaha.... don't believe a word this joker tells you about RM. He had pom poms and was doing high kicks talking about RM being the best back we would ever see in a Steeler uni.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He's certainly been one of the least successful first round picks the Steelers have made after a long string of unqualified hits, but the bust label may be a bit harsh. After all, Mendenhall did put up one very solid season as a starter and was a contributor in other seasons, when healthy.

Looking at his draft, he was one pick after Felix Jones, one before Chris Johnson. Felix Jones was a bust, no doubt. Mendenhall was no Johnson, and I've never been a Mendenhall fan, but I'm not quite sure that he rises to the level of a bust, which I usually reserve for the Limas Sweeds of the world.
    That's fair, espcially if the bar is set with Sweed!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Nate Washington was an undrafted free agent from Tiffin... I never understood the hate for that guy.

Sometimes it feels like the undrafted guys get more criticism than the drafted players who are always given "more time" because they have college highlights on youtube...

I don't think RM is a bust but he is real close to one when you look at FWP, Dwyer and Redman.
    And Parker was an UFA who hardly played in college b/c his coach didn't feel he was big enough. Very similar rising above circumstances stories, which was my point. I never understood why one UFA, Washington, got a pass when he played poorly and another UFA, Parker, took so much heat and people could not wait to get rid of him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    hahaha.... don't believe a word this joker tells you about RM. He had pom poms and was doing high kicks talking about RM being the best back we would ever see in a Steeler uni.
    Are you kidding me? Mendenhall is already has more career rushing TD's, only 9 less receptions, and has more reception yards than Willie Parker and Mendenhall has missed 21 games the past 5 years. Parker for 5 plus season with the Steelers played in 79 games. Mendy has played in 56.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

You're not factoring in that Parker missed at least 9 games due to injury over his career, but also was used sparingly his entire first season because he was behind Jerome Bettis, Duce Staley, and Verron Haynes on the depth chart. All in all, about a wash when it comes to number of games in which RM and FWP were really given an opportunity to play.

As far as the Steelers having a more "run-oriented" team with Parker, maybe it was partly because, prior to his fibula injury, Parker was more productive than Mendenhall has proven to be.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 12-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.