Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fast Willie Perspective

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I remember a few years ago on here there was an article that someone posted that had NFL backs grouped into tiers of 5 (IIRC) and RM was put in the third or fourth tier. People here were up in arms about that, but then when you look at the list of backs that you would rather have, he was certainly not a top ten back.

The other thing is that the defense of Mendenhall is never about his production, it has always been about him being forced to play behind a bad line and just wait and see what would happen if he ever had a decent line in front of him. Then, suddenly, Redman put up some numbers in limited snaps. This year, both Dwyer and Redman have put together good games. All the while, all we keep hearing is that RM is the best RB on the team. Being the best does not matter when there is never production to back that up.
    I remember reading Kirby Wilson singing Mendenhalls praises a month and a half ago about how awesome he is, etc......I'm glad Kirby Wilson isn't our OC and hopefully Haley is here for quite a while and not just a year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mendenhall's favorite food

2694531-236355-loaf-of-bread-isolated-over-white-background.jpg

He carries it everywhere with him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He's certainly been one of the least successful first round picks the Steelers have made after a long string of unqualified hits, but the bust label may be a bit harsh. After all, Mendenhall did put up one very solid season as a starter and was a contributor in other seasons, when healthy.

Looking at his draft, he was one pick after Felix Jones, one before Chris Johnson. Felix Jones was a bust, no doubt. Mendenhall was no Johnson, and I've never been a Mendenhall fan, but I'm not quite sure that he rises to the level of a bust, which I usually reserve for the Limas Sweeds of the world.
    In my mind, a bust is someone who never ever has a decent season and is out of football within 2 years of being drafted. I mean, those aren't the total qualifiers; a player can maintain in the league for more than 2 years and still be a bust. Ryan Leaf was a complete bust. So was DeMarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, Ware, Akili Smith, Blair Thomas, Kajana Carter, etc. But those were all first over all picks, or nearly all. In my mind RM is a "disappointment" but not quite a bust. But, in my mind, the differentiation doesn't really matter; at the end of the day, they are about the same thing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I remember a few years ago on here there was an article that someone posted that had NFL backs grouped into tiers of 5 (IIRC) and RM was put in the third or fourth tier. People here were up in arms about that, but then when you look at the list of backs that you would rather have, he was certainly not a top ten back.

The other thing is that the defense of Mendenhall is never about his production, it has always been about him being forced to play behind a bad line and just wait and see what would happen if he ever had a decent line in front of him. Then, suddenly, Redman put up some numbers in limited snaps. This year, both Dwyer and Redman have put together good games. All the while, all we keep hearing is that RM is the best RB on the team. Being the best does not matter when there is never production to back that up.
    Which means he isn't the "best." He may have the most talent, but it hasn't translated into production. As I said in July, JD is our best back.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think you can claim Felix Jones is a bust. He still dresses for games and usually has some touches each week. If we aren't going to qualify RM as a bust, we can't use that label on Jones. Jones showed some nice flashes as a rookie, and then again some this season. They had him put on a bunch of weight his 2nd year, and that was a stupid, moronic decision. Jones thought it would make him more durable, but all it did was take away his speed, which was his best attribute. I think Jones still have a place on an NFL team; but it probably isn't the role of an every down back, which does make his draft place too high, but not a bust. A bust is more like Tim Worley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hang on a second...

Before we all call Mendenhall a 'bust', let's remember that in year 1 he busted his shoulder. Year 2 he gained 930 yards on the ground at 4.1 YPC with 9 TD's in the mix. Year 3 was nearly 1,300 yards on the ground with 13 TD's & in Year 4, 1,100 yards on the ground with 7 TD's. Not only that, in that 3 year stretch he missed the sum total of 4 games, while carrying a massive share of the workload. Year 4 he simply hasn't gotten started all year through injury.

And that doesn't include his recieving yards.

All that in an Arians Offence.

He's NOT a bust. He's a very servicable RB.

But the anti-Mendenhall club should certainly continue this slanted attack on him.

Mendenhall's biggest crime as a Steeler, as far as Chadman can see, was that he didn't agree with celebrating the death of Bin Laden. His 'football crimes' are nit-picky.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Isn't Mendhenhall only 25 yrs. old???
    I think if he goes to a finesse offense and learns to hold the ball into his body he could end his career on a high note. I just don't think Pittsburgh is the place for him. in his case the grass may be greener on the other side.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    You're not factoring in that Parker missed at least 9 games due to injury over his career, but also was used sparingly his entire first season because he was behind Jerome Bettis, Duce Staley, and Verron Haynes on the depth chart. All in all, about a wash when it comes to number of games in which RM and FWP were really given an opportunity to play.

As far as the Steelers having a more "run-oriented" team with Parker, maybe it was partly because, prior to his fibula injury, Parker was more productive than Mendenhall has proven to be.
    Ok here, Willie Parker played 79 games in just over 5 years for the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall has played in 56 as a Steelers. So factor away.

What would Mendy's number look like with those extra 23 games?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Hang on a second...

Before we all call Mendenhall a 'bust', let's remember that in year 1 he busted his shoulder. Year 2 he gained 930 yards on the ground at 4.1 YPC with 9 TD's in the mix. Year 3 was nearly 1,300 yards on the ground with 13 TD's & in Year 4, 1,100 yards on the ground with 7 TD's. Not only that, in that 3 year stretch he missed the sum total of 4 games, while carrying a massive share of the workload. Year 4 he simply hasn't gotten started all year through injury.

And that doesn't include his recieving yards.

All that in an Arians Offence.

He's NOT a bust. He's a very servicable RB.

But the anti-Mendenhall club should certainly continue this slanted attack on him.

Mendenhall's biggest crime as a Steeler, as far as Chadman can see, was that he didn't agree with celebrating the death of Bin Laden. His 'football crimes' are nit-picky.

Five years in and he still runs with the ball like this

20121009_jel_al8_464.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I can't overlook that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok here, Willie Parker played 79 games in just over 5 years for the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall has played in 56 as a Steelers. So factor away.

What would Mendy's number look like with those extra 23 games?
    Who knows? What would Parker's numbers have looked like had he been the feature back during his rookie year, rather than barely getting to sniff the field? Aren't those essentially 16 games that could be discounted?

Then again, why is number of games played the decisive factor? Why not number of carries? Super Bowl performances? Number of thousand-yard-plus seasons in a row?

I know you generally can't stand to see low-round draft picks and undrafted FAs do well...I understand that.
    But I don't see how you can make a good case that Rashard Mendenhall is a much better running back than Willie Parker was. Maybe he will play lights out for the next five years, and establish himself as the better back. To this point, he hasn't.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 12-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.