Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Who was playing on the OL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Guys, honestly maybe I watched a different game because Beachum got beat a few times.
    He definitely gave up 1 sack that I can remember and the 2 hard hits Batch took were by Kruger who Beachum was going against.
    One play that sticks out was when Issac gave him help to the outside,Kruger started outside and Beachum almost fell over and knocked into Redman.
    Kruger then went right past the flopping Beachum on the inside.
    Not trying to spin a negative but gushing over this guy after an average game doesnt sit well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like Colon was given a $6 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal. He has 3 years left on that deal. The pro-rated portion of that signing bonus would be $1.2 million per year. If he was cut after this season, he would count for $3.6 million in dead money on the cap. If he was cut after next season, he would count for $2.4 million in dead money on the cap. Of course, his base salary this season and next is scheduled to be $5.5 million, and then goes up to $6 million in 2015. The question is whether you would prefer to have Colon counting $6.7 million against our cap next year as our starting LG, or having Colon counting $3.6 million against our cap next year while playing for someone else.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Looks like Colon was given a $6 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal. He has 3 years left on that deal. The pro-rated portion of that signing bonus would be $1.2 million per year. If he was cut after this season, he would count for $3.6 million in dead money on the cap. If he was cut after next season, he would count for $2.4 million in dead money on the cap. Of course, his base salary this season and next is scheduled to be $5.5 million, and then goes up to $6 million in 2015. The question is whether you would prefer to have Colon counting $6.7 million against our cap next year as our starting LG, or having Colon counting $3.6 million against our cap next year while playing for someone else.
    That's easy, playing for the Steelers, IMO. Veterans exiting, restructures and any other tricks Omar has up his sleeve will have to be used to get the Steelers under the cap. Willie brings a certain nastiness to the OL that makes me like him, even with his brain cramps at times.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Guys, honestly maybe I watched a different game because Beachum got beat a few times.
    He definitely gave up 1 sack that I can remember and the 2 hard hits Batch took were by Kruger who Beachum was going against.
    One play that sticks out was when Issac gave him help to the outside,Kruger started outside and Beachum almost fell over and knocked into Redman.
    Not trying to spin a negative but gushing over this guy after an average game doesnt sit well.
    Yeah, I didn't think he was great, but surprisingly, not that much different than Adams and Gilbert...and probably an upgrade from Essux, who would have been the guy brought in from the bench last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think he was great, but surprisingly, not that much different than Adams and Gilbert...and probably an upgrade from Essux, who would have been the guy brought in from the bench last year.
    An average start for a 7th round pick starting in his first NFL football game and the game just happens to be the most bitter rivalry in the game. I think that's a win for the Steelers. He wasn't overwhelmed, made some mistakes, gave up a sack, but from all indications his effort was there all night regardless of what happened the previous play or series.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Once the OL is healthy I would expect to see a lineup of:

LT: Starks
    LG: Colon
    C: Pouncey
    RG: DeCastro
    RT: Foster

That is the team putting it's best five on the field. Then they could have Legs, Beachum and possibly Adams coming off the bench during the stretch run. This could give the team the best running OL they have had in a while and I would expect Foster to hold his own at RT with chips from RB's and TE's. With the way the OL played yesterday there are all kinds of options.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    An average start for a 7th round pick starting in his first NFL football game and the game just happens to be the most bitter rivalry in the game. I think that's a win for the Steelers. He wasn't overwhelmed, made some mistakes, gave up a sack, but from all indications his effort was there all night regardless of what happened the previous play or series.

Pappy
    As I read your description of Beachum's play I swear I could have substituted the name "Mike Adams". If some of you can give Adams a pass or two for being inexperienced, I would say Beachum should get that much and more, as a 7th rounder. He may not be a starter, but the way the Steelers OL has been unable to remain complete for any length of time, they definitely need subs that can hold their own in games like this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Of course, on the play immediately preceding the sack he allowed, Beachum sealed off Ngata, which allowed Redman to break free for a 24 yard run. A beast like Ngata should be eating 7th round rookies playing out of position for breakfast, but not on that play.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only sacks I saw us take were on Charlie for holding the ball way too long. He held it so long I thought for sure there was a number 7 on his back.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving COLON's money to FOSTER...he's certainly more durable
    Now there's a good idea.