Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now Ike Taylor...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ALLEN gonna be better than IKE?? I hope so, but right now. Not even close. Especially in Run Defense.

You can pin Ray Rice's TD Run on ALLEN.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    ALLEN gonna be better than IKE?? I hope so, but right now. Not even close. Especially in Run Defense.

You can pin Ray Rice's TD Run on ALLEN.
    I noticed that too on the replay. But Allen is a pretty good tackler. He hits quick and usually gets his guy down. I think Rice deserves some of the credit on running by him.

The one thing Allen does better than Ike right now is play the ball. He should have had an INT, but he made a play and showed awareness on a ball in the sky that Ike woulda never seen.

Of course he needs time. But Allen does a lot of little things. And he's not hesitant to put his hands on a WR where a lot of young guys often look hesitant out of fear of getting beat or getting a penalty.

Allen has the potential of not needing safety help in the future. He's gotta work, but he's got some natural talent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I noticed that too on the replay. But Allen is a pretty good tackler. He hits quick and usually gets his guy down. I think Rice deserves some of the credit on running by him.

The one thing Allen does better than Ike right now is play the ball. He should have had an INT, but he made a play and showed awareness on a ball in the sky that Ike woulda never seen.

Of course he needs time. But Allen does a lot of little things. And he's not hesitant to put his hands on a WR where a lot of young guys often look hesitant out of fear of getting beat or getting a penalty.

Allen has the potential of not needing safety help in the future. He's gotta work, but he's got some natural talent.
    IKE would come up and stick a ball carrier. Not so sure ALLEN will ever be that type of tackler.

not only did he not lay a finger on Rice, ALLEN totally lost all containment on that play. If he plays RICE outside, he at least feeds him to KEISEL in pursuit and B.K. makes the tackle. Have no idea what he was thinking on that play...LAKE's gotta coach him up and maybe add a little muscle to that frame.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

IKE would come up and stick a ball carrier. Not so sure ALLEN will ever be that type of tackler.

not only did he not lay a finger on Rice, ALLEN totally lost all containment on that play. If he plays RICE outside, he at least feeds him to KEISEL in pursuit and B.K. makes the tackle. Have no idea what he was thinking on that play...LAKE's gotta coach him up and maybe add a little muscle to that frame.
    I would argue that has been part of our problem with our DBs. They were selected with an over-emphasis on their run stopping abilities versus their pass defending abilities. That was fine 10 years ago but not in a pass on first down league. We need ball hawks so our team leader in INTs isn't our ILB (Timmons)
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Allen's a pound heavier and an inch shorter than Ike. I haven't noticed him shying away from contact at all. It's not like we're talking about Ricardo Colclough.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Very comfortable with the DBs against teams with only one great WR. LeBeau can come up with a plan for that. But if a team has two great ones, that is when things get dicey. Fortunately, I don't see a team on the remaining schedule that might be a problem.
    BTW, I agree that Carnell Lake's presence has definitely been a huge factor for the CBs. It seemed the Steelers were making no progress developing new ones until Lake showed up. One "project" I am closely watching for the future is Van Dyke. Given his raw physical talents and Carnell's tutelage, he could end up being Ike Taylor's replacement in a few years. It will be real interesting after Oakland basically gave up on the guy.
    IMO Van Dyke is in the Tomlin "doghouse" and it will take a lot to get out (Inactive yesterday). I'll be surprised if he is on the opening day roster next season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ike had help with Greene the last game... I believe he was doubled and they rolled coverage his direction. If we do the same thing and we should have the same result.
    Ike received help probably less than half the time on Green. The talking heads just pointed it out when he did. Any other CB on our squad sees the help at least 80% of the time. We are very fortunate with the way Lewis has stepped up his game this season. Hope he is ready for the limelight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Ike received help probably less than half the time on Green. The talking heads just pointed it out when he did. Any other CB on our squad sees the help at least 80% of the time. We are very fortunate with the way Lewis has stepped up his game this season. Hope he is ready for the limelight.
    Not sure if that makes sense but OK...

hopefully they will point it out when we do it next game too. LOL...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO Van Dyke is in the Tomlin "doghouse" and it will take a lot to get out (Inactive yesterday). I'll be surprised if he is on the opening day roster next season.
    Well, while Ike is out (2-6 weeks, supposedly), Van Dyke will be active as a 4th CB, since we cannot go into action with just Lewis, Allen, and Brown as our only active corners.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why Steeler Fans Shouldn’t Worry About Ike Taylor’s Injury

Dec 3rd, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

The grass started to look a little greener last week for the Steelers, and it wasn’t because of the 70 degree temps either. The team welcomed back Troy Polamalu to full practices and a green light for the game against the Ravens on Sunday. Polamalu was being revered as a shot in the arm to a defense that seemed to be a hair’s breath away from being a dominant force – no not splashy, but shut down force. As the game got underway, fortunes changed quickly once again for this Steelers team who is continually fighting off injury after injury. Ike Taylor suffered a leg/ankle injury during the first series and never returned. A full diagnosis has yet to be released by the team, but most ‘experts’ predict he will be out of the lineup 3-6 weeks. And, while most would think losing your #1 corner would spell monumental trouble for a successful playoff run, Steeler fans should take a bit of comfort knowing who will now have to step up and take Taylor’s place.

The Maturation of Cortez Allen

The 2011 4th round draft pick out of The Citadel stepped into the role of ‘#2 corner’ when Ike Taylor went down with his injury against the Ravens on Sunday. Allen split time with Keenan Lewis covering Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin. During the first half, the Ravens challenged Allen often, and Allen rose to the occasion. He broke up several passes – often having to catch up in pursuit after the ball was thrown. Allen’s style is very clear: leave some room, let the pass come in, an reach in to break up the pass even if the body is open for a hit.

It was effective and seemed to frustrate the Ravens offense that they couldn’t break Allen. That didn’t stop them from trying, and in the second half, they were able to complete several bigger passes that lead to a TD and a pass interference (which was a bit of a ticky tacky call at the 10 yard line).

Some might argue that Allen (based on his performance) is not ready for that role, but I think that he fairly ready to take up the mantle. Yes, he was beat a couple of times, but he never let it get to his head. He did not grossly change his coverage and knew that what he was doing worked. Quite frankly, Ike Taylor gives up a big pass on occasion, so there’s no difference there.

Let’s look at Allen’s maturation in comparison to his positional brothers. He quickly became the favorite as the slot cover man late last season in his first season with the team. He continued that role during training camp and all through the season – and has performed very well. Allen’s maturation into the #3 guy was expedited by William Gay’s departure and Keenan Lewis’ subpar seasons. Using those two as a litmus, Allen is years ahead of their development. Look how long it took Gay to be a dependable cover corner. Look how long it took Lewis to move into the #2 role and continue to have shaky weeks. In a defense that touts a large learning curve – 3 years or longer – Allen appears to have the natural talent to swim with the big fish AND possess the brain power to ‘undertand’ Dick LeBeau’s defense. I was very pleased to see his performance last night.

Will Allen be a shut down type corner like Taylor? Eh, maybe not percentage’wise. But, I do believe his ball skills raises the chances of the Steelers picking a pass off on a deep or crossing route. Let’s give Allen the chance he seems to have earned. Facing Rivers, Dalton, Romo and Weeden I expect Allen to be challenged but come out successful. If he gets paired against Dez Bryant it will be a nail biter, but can anyone see Keenan Lewis hanging with him all game? In Allen We Trust.

The Lake Effect

I’m not talking snow. I’m talking about Steelers secondary coach, Carnell Lake. Lake signed on with the team last season as the coach, and I think he is working wonders with the new guys like Cortez Allen. How else can you explain Keenan Lewis’ ability to FINALLY cover guys at least 75% of the game? How else can you explain that both Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown are impacting the secondary and special teams at the same time?

How else can you explain that Will Allen and Ryan Clark have been a force in the safety positions during Troy Polamalu’s absence almost all season? How is it that this defense has been #1 in pass defense two seasons in a row? Sure the secondary is full of talented players, but it’s Lake’s coaching that has gelled it all together. What a stroke of brilliance by the Front Office to get Lake on board.

Steelers Continued Pass Rush Success

The Steelers pass rush is starting to come around after being absent almost all season. James Harrison, as he ever creeps back to 100%, is beginning to gain back that explosiveness off the snap. He may not have all of it back, but his speed is improving as is his strength as he fights off blocks. Joe Flacco became ‘Jumpin’ Joe Flacco during the second half. The pass rush got to him a few times for sacks and hit him just after throws.

This cause Unibrow Boy to get jumpy in the pocket and either rushed throws, threw off target, or a combination of both. There was one series that Lawrence Timmons began a pass rush, and fell into an open part of the pocket – either because he slipped or got hit. He landed three feet short of Flacco, but that presence of a black and gold jersey diving towards him was enough to make him throw the ball early to Smith and it was off target.

If the Steelers can keep this up for the rest of the season, QB’s like Rivers and Romo will have tough days behind their line, as they habitually fold under the pressure.

So Steeler Nation, fret not with Taylor gone. Will it be a smooth ride the next four weeks? Absolutely not. But, the defense is far from dire straights as they race for the divisional title and a playoff spot.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/12/03/why-steeler-fans-shouldnt-worry-about-ike-taylors-injury/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha