Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Who was playing on the OL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Question: Who was playing on the OL?

and how did they do? (didn't see the game, just highlights).

thanks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They actually held their own, even with the 4th string at RT. Dwyer had some holes sometimes - he wasn't always getting buried behind the LOS. And Charlie definitely had some time back there (but often held on to the ball way too long, causing me to scream "Get rid of it, how long do you think you have back there?!?!?!")

I think the OL was: Starks, Pouncey at LG, Legs at C, Foster RG, Beachum at RT.

My question: Anyone notice how Beachum did? I didn't see any glaring mistakes. If this dude can play, holy cow we got depth at OL for the first time in forever. Starks, Colon, Pouncy, Foster, Gilbert, Adams, DeCastro and now Beachum. Oh, and throw in Legs for depth at C. How many of these dudes are getting healthy right now? I know DeCastro is close. Hot damn that can turn into great depth. I am so happy I could just smile.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

everyone played well, IMO.

beachum surprised the hell out of me. I rewatched the game and his footwork looked very good to me, though I'm certainly no expert. They gave him some help sometimes, but won a lot of one one one battles.

I will be very sorry to see ramon foster leave the steelers if that happens in the offseason. The guy just plays nasty and loves to mix it up right to the whistle. His pass pro this season has been superb.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

beachum surprised the hell out of me. I rewatched the game and his footwork looked very good to me, though I'm certainly no expert. They gave him some help sometimes, but won a lot of one one one battles.

I will be very sorry to see ramon foster leave the steelers if that happens in the offseason. The guy just plays nasty and loves to mix it up right to the whistle. His pass pro this season has been superb.
    I like how Pouncey adds speed and athleticism - not to mention leadership - to the OL mix, whether at OG or OC. Giant fat guys can do the job, but I like when there are at least a few guys who can move well on their feet, instead of the entire OL having "cement shoes" feet. Pouncey can move. It really helps with getting to the 2nd level and mashing up LBs once in a while. That gets the running game going, as opposed to dudes who are kind if "immovable" but also, can't really move themselves.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this is still the AFC North.

while quick and agile sounds really nice, you better have some face smashers in there too.

colon and foster fit that bill.

I'm excited about the future of the OL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

this is still the AFC North.

while quick and agile sounds really nice, you better have some face smashers in there too.

colon and foster fit that bill.

I'm excited about the future of the OL.
    There are more than 1 way to skin a cat; several plans work. I have seen some great rushing teams without the giant 370 pounders, such as SF and Denver in their Super Bowl years. I have no problem with some massive OL men, but still want to have athletic dudes who can move their feet in the mix. Pouncey is that. So is DeCastro, which is why so many are excited to get this guy on the field. They also both have great mentalities for playing OL in the NFL. I love that we have some nasties on the OL now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Beachum's play surprised the hell out of me too.

as for Foster, this is most likely his last season as a Steeler. we didn't draft DeCastro for him to sit on the bench and Foster has played well enough this season to find another team that will offer him a good contract.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Beachum's play surprised the hell out of me too.

as for Foster, this is most likely his last season as a Steeler. we didn't draft DeCastro for him to sit on the bench and Foster has played well enough this season to find another team that will offer him a good contract.
    I wouldn't mind giving COLON's money to FOSTER...he's certainly more durable
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

certainly less penalized as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving COLON's money to FOSTER...he's certainly more durable
    Not to mention younger, and probably less expensive.

But we'd probably take a nasty cap hit if we cut Colon loose.