Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Butler a Lock to Replace DL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Butler a Lock to Replace DL?

I know Butler has already been promised to be the successor to Lebeau. But any chance we'd reconsider?

All of a sudden, without our best players on D, no significant pass rush, and an inability to create turnovers, our DBs are what's making this D go. It was a huge weakness that's become the strength of the unit.

Seems like Carnell might be the star young coach in the making that might be worth considering instead. Is he just a prodigy that's too good to pass up? As a player, who transitions from a stud college LB to play a season at CB? I'm starting to think he's bringing that's special sauce to coaching.

Backup

User Info Menu

Carnell would be an excellent choice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Butler has turned down interviews on a few occasions hasn't he? He will be the next coordinator and there is little doubt in my mind. Lake has done a terrific job but the heir apparent for a while has been Butler and I expect it to stay that way.

Backup

User Info Menu

So let me get this straight...the defense has been consistently in the top 5 over the last decade because of Carnell Lake?

I think Carnell has done a great job with the DBs...but the architect and success of this defense is DL....Hopefully Butler will take what he has learned from DL about the 3-4 defense and add some new wrinkles...

I think it will be Butler when DL decides to hang it up...

Legend

User Info Menu

The best man will take over as DC. I don't believe the Steelers will give it to Butler unless they believe he will make a better DC than Carnell. Personally, I believe Carnell might be the next great coach in this league. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I have difficulty believing that Tomlin would give a coach with only two years professional coaching experience (three total) the responsibility of D coordinator over Butler...

I think Lake is a great coach...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure that there is an exact correlation between position coaches having a unit that performs well and the ability of that coach to be a coordinator, just like good coordinators don't necessarily make good head coaches.

For example, the DBs did not seem to improve under Ray Horton, but he has been a very good DC for the Cardinals. Butler has turned down some opportunities and I have a feeling that he is the heir apparent. Lake has been a great position coach but I think that when DL retires (incidentally, no guarantee that he does so next year) Butler is the most likely successor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not sure that there is an exact correlation between position coaches having a unit that performs well and the ability of that coach to be a coordinator, just like good coordinators don't necessarily make good head coaches.

For example, the DBs did not seem to improve under Ray Horton, but he has been a very good DC for the Cardinals. Butler has turned down some opportunities and I have a feeling that he is the heir apparent. Lake has been a great position coach but I think that when DL retires (incidentally, no guarantee that he does so next year) Butler is the most likely successor.
    $$$$
    And sometimes, not-so-great coordinators might make pretty good head coaches (Bruce Arians, cough, cough....).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers have made some good selections with their young DBs. I don't give full credit to a position coach when a young player does well. The player himself should get most of the credit, because he has to execute on the field, but a good coach can help polish up the talent. The DBs I am sure are also influenced by LeBeau, Tomlin, the culture of the lockerroom, and his teammates. Lake seems like a good guy, but let's not rush him to a coordinator's spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    The Steelers have made some good selections with their young DBs. I don't give full credit to a position coach when a young player does well. The player himself should get most of the credit, because he has to execute on the field, but a good coach can help polish up the talent. The DBs I am sure are also influenced by LeBeau, Tomlin, the culture of the lockerroom, and his teammates. Lake seems like a good guy, but let's not rush him to a coordinator's spot.
    It's hard to know anything from the outside. Just seems we're doing great without Troy. Clark, who's been around forever, is all of a sudden playing at a new level. And Kennan Lewis who didn't even show any reason to be worth a roster spot, suddenly is a baller.

All I can see is Tomlin, Lebeau have been around for a while and the DBs have been a weakness on this team. Now it not only changes, but it changes in a time of transition where the front 7 hasn't been the best we've seen. And the DBs seem to be carrying this D to being great.

It's all just a guess? I also wouldn't mind the idea of bringing in someone from the outside like a Mangini or another known commodity.

I know the Steelers seem to like Butler and he appears to be loyal. It's all good. But I don't know what he brings to the table. He's the one getting to work with high draft picks like Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Worilds, etc over the years. And he's coaching the guys that are supposed to be the impact players in a 3-4. And they can't consistently generate pressure or create turnovers. So it feels like his unit is underperforming a little.